Asterisk set up on Ubuntu 7.10

Old December 7th 07, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default Asterisk set up on Ubuntu 7.10

I run a MythTV system on a, lowish power, Ubuntu Linux (7.10
(alternate edition) system.
It is running 24/7 and I want to get more value for the electricity I
am paying to run it.
I can't use Trixbox but is there an Asterisk distro that is EASY to
install and commision on my CURRENT set up - that is, I don't want to
start reformatting my disk etc. It takes ages to get a MythTV box
working properly and I am not set to muck around with that.
I don't want to start adding any cards or anything like that. I
mailnly want to use it for the exchange facilities such as IVR,
callback and callthrough. I would want to use something with a GUI
interface.
Any recommendations? FreePBX?

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old December 7th 07, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Brian A wrote:

I can't use Trixbox but is there an Asterisk distro that is EASY to
install and commision on my CURRENT set up - that is, I don't want to
start reformatting my disk etc.

I mailnly want to use it for the exchange facilities such as IVR,
callback and callthrough. I would want to use something with a GUI
interface.

Why GUI?

Any recommendations? FreePBX?

FreePBX is OK. This might be of some help:

http://blog.thegoldfish.net/asterisk...sktop-tutorial

There is also AsteriskGUI, but there don't appear to be any releases, which
suggests to me it's not quite ready for the average user.

http://asterisknow.org/install-related

One other possibility is that Trixbox and AsteriskNOW both come as VM
images. If you MythTV box is specced high enough, you might have some luck
with that.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
12:14:20 up 26 days, 53 min, 2 users, load average: 0.37, 0.30, 0.27

Old December 7th 07, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

alexd wrote:

There is also AsteriskGUI, but there don't appear to be any releases,
which suggests to me it's not quite ready for the average user.

Here's a howto also.

http://www.howtoforge.com/asterisk_pbx_linux

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
12:42:51 up 26 days, 1:22, 2 users, load average: 0.21, 0.25, 0.23

Old December 7th 07, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Brian A wrote:
I run a MythTV system on a, lowish power, Ubuntu Linux (7.10
(alternate edition) system.
It is running 24/7 and I want to get more value for the electricity I
am paying to run it.
I can't use Trixbox but is there an Asterisk distro that is EASY to
install and commision on my CURRENT set up - that is, I don't want to
start reformatting my disk etc. It takes ages to get a MythTV box
working properly and I am not set to muck around with that.
I don't want to start adding any cards or anything like that. I
mailnly want to use it for the exchange facilities such as IVR,
callback and callthrough. I would want to use something with a GUI
interface.
Any recommendations? FreePBX?

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---

just install Asterisk and then the FreePBX GUI. Not sure if there is a
Debian/Ubuntu package for FreePBX but it's pretty straight forward to
install from the web site download.

cheers,
Paul.

--
Working Email:

paul-at-polog40-dot-co-dot-uk
Old December 7th 07, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Koos van den Hout

Brian A wrote in :
I run a MythTV system on a, lowish power, Ubuntu Linux (7.10
(alternate edition) system.

I can't use Trixbox but is there an Asterisk distro that is EASY to
install and commision on my CURRENT set up - that is, I don't want to
start reformatting my disk etc. It takes ages to get a MythTV box
working properly and I am not set to muck around with that.

Start with 'apt-cache search asterisk' on the command-line (there is
probably a graphical equivalent in ubuntu) to see what asterisk version is
available to install and what extra tools are available.

Koos

--
Koos van den Hout, PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 via keyservers
or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5
Old December 8th 07, 02:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TheFug

Brian A schreef:
I run a MythTV system on a, lowish power, Ubuntu Linux (7.10
(alternate edition) system.
It is running 24/7 and I want to get more value for the electricity I
am paying to run it.
I can't use Trixbox but is there an Asterisk distro that is EASY to
install and commision on my CURRENT set up - that is, I don't want to
start reformatting my disk etc. It takes ages to get a MythTV box
working properly and I am not set to muck around with that.
I don't want to start adding any cards or anything like that. I
mailnly want to use it for the exchange facilities such as IVR,
callback and callthrough. I would want to use something with a GUI
interface.
Any recommendations? FreePBX?

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---

What about the Pluto project ? it's an multi-purpose distro, with
Asterisk and house/media contol...
Old December 8th 07, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hongtian

On 7 Dec, 20:07, Brian A wrote:
I run a MythTV system on a, lowish power, Ubuntu Linux (7.10
(alternate edition) system.
It is running 24/7 and I want to get more value for the electricity I
am paying to run it.
I can't use Trixbox but is there an Asterisk distro that is EASY to
install and commision on my CURRENT set up - that is, I don't want to
start reformatting my disk etc. It takes ages to get a MythTV box
working properly and I am not set to muck around with that.
I don't want to start adding any cards or anything like that. I
mailnly want to use it for the exchange facilities such as IVR,
callback and callthrough. I would want to use something with a GUI
interface.
Any recommendations? FreePBX?

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---

I know that miniSipServer can support GUI, but it is run on Windows
not Linux.
Old December 8th 07, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 05:59:49 -0800 (PST), Hongtian
wrote:

On 7 Dec, 20:07, Brian A wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all your suggestions gentlemen. That gives me a few things
to go at.

---