Cisco IP Phone 7960

Old December 9th 07, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TheSpacian

Default Cisco IP Phone 7960

Hi List

I am suffering from a problem with my Ip Phone 7960. It has been
working very fine with a Firmware p0S3-07-5-00 , today I upgraded this
to p0S3-08-2-00, its works and even with 8.6 version it works, but it
has some limitations with these firmwares. I want to go back to 7.5
firmware. I was abale to come back from 8.6 to 8.2, but it is not
going back to 7.5. i have tried a hard but could not succeede. when I
try to load 7.5 firmware, the phone displays "Unprovisioned" and keep
on resetting. I have read many articles but most of them are about to

I have firmwares and TFTP server
regards
Old December 9th 07, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 02:45:34 -0800, TheSpacian wrote:

I am suffering from a problem with my Ip Phone 7960. It has been working
very fine with a Firmware p0S3-07-5-00 , today I upgraded this to
p0S3-08-2-00, its works and even with 8.6 version it works, but it has
some limitations with these firmwares. I want to go back to 7.5
firmware. I was abale to come back from 8.6 to 8.2, but it is not going
back to 7.5.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index....one+cisco+79xx

That page indicates that it is not possible to downgrade major releases
of firmware on 79xx handsets.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:14:22 up 28 days, 9:53, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.17, 0.17
Old December 10th 07, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TheSpacian

I contacted Cisco and they said their engineer can downgrade the
firmware. it means there is a way to do it.
Does any body Know, or can crack the security.??

Please help
Old December 10th 07, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Piers Finlayson

"TheSpacian" wrote in message
I contacted Cisco and they said their engineer can downgrade the
firmware. it means there is a way to do it.
Does any body Know, or can crack the security.??

Please help

I'd be a bit suspect of people making bold and unsubstantiated claims on the
internet like "You cannot downgrade the 79xx phones". What they typically
mean is "I can't figure out how to downgrade the 79xx phones".

I would suspect that you can downgrade if you find the correct route. I
think you said you were trying to downgrade from 8.2 to 7.5. Try
downgrading to 8.0 and then try from there. If that doesn't work try going
to another version of 7.

And if you do figure out a route that works please update something on the
web - eg voip-info.org.

Old December 10th 07, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Piers Finlayson" wrote in message

[snip]

: : I'd be a bit suspect of people making bold and
: : unsubstantiated claims on the internet like "You cannot
: : downgrade the 79xx phones". What they typically mean
: : is "I can't figure out how to downgrade the 79xx
: : phones".
: :
: : I would suspect that you can downgrade if you find the
: : correct route. I think you said you were trying to
: : downgrade from 8.2 to 7.5. Try downgrading to 8.0 and
: : then try from there. If that doesn't work try going to
: : another version of 7.
: :
: : And if you do figure out a route that works please
: : update something on the web - eg voip-info.org.

When I wanted to downgrade the firmware on my AVM Fritz!Box I had to
download a special program from a link given to me by technical support.
It may be that there is a similar utility for your phone, have you asked
them..?

Ivor

Old December 10th 07, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 03:46:27 -0800, TheSpacian wrote:

I contacted Cisco and they said their engineer can downgrade the
firmware. it means there is a way to do it.

Were they unwilling to point you to documentation that explains how it
can done? Did they say they require physical access to the handset? Maybe
they have to do some magic with the bootloader through the console.

Does any body Know, or can crack the security.??

What makes you think it's a security restriction, rather than a technical
limitation?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
15:52:46 up 29 days, 4:32, 2 users, load average: 0.04, 0.09, 0.14
Old December 10th 07, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ron Lowe

"alexd" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 03:46:27 -0800, TheSpacian wrote:

I contacted Cisco and they said their engineer can downgrade the
firmware. it means there is a way to do it.

Were they unwilling to point you to documentation that explains how it
can done? Did they say they require physical access to the handset? Maybe
they have to do some magic with the bootloader through the console.

Does any body Know, or can crack the security.??

What makes you think it's a security restriction, rather than a technical
limitation?

SIP images prior to a certain release were unsigned ( .bin ) files.
After that release, they became signed ( .sbn) files.

Cisco SIP releases now come with both .bin and .sbn versions of the release.
If you are upgrading from an old release, it will use the .bin file.
If you are upgrading from a newer release, it will use the .sbn file.

The older releases only ever came as .bin files.
It is not possible ( using any publically-available tools that I know of )
to make a phone with a recent release accept an old .bin file. It requires
the secure .sbn file.

It's possible that Cisco have available internally .sbn versions of older
releases, or some other method like connecting a test jig onto the PCB
directly. I don't know.

But the end result is that you can't go back beyond that point ( release 5,
it seems.. )

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801844bb.html

Quote....

"Image Authentication and Signed Binary Files
Cisco has added image authentication to its various IP Phone Protocols. With
the addition of image authentication, the binary image can not be tampered
with prior to being loaded into the phone. Any tampering with the image
causes the phone to fail the authentication process and reject that image.
The image authentication is done through signed binary files.

This release does not use regular binary files as did previous releases but
only accepts signed binary files. This step improves IP Phone security on
the Cisco 7960/40 IP Phones. However, the use of signed binary files does
not allow returning to an earlier software release. Once Cisco SIP IP Phone
7940/7960 Release 5.0 is installed, it cannot be replaced with any previous
release.

Note After Cisco SIP IP Phone 7940/7960 Release 5.0 is installed, it can
only be replaced with the same or newer release. All releases prior to Cisco
SIP IP Phone 7940/7960 Release 5.0 will not function on this phone after it
has been installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------"

--
Ron

Old December 11th 07, 06:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TheSpacian

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...rod_release_no...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------"

--
Ron

Hi List Thanks for all of your comments

the disscussion was going very great.. after reading some litrature I
came to know to the following ;

actulay if we upgrade the firmware from a version lower than 5, to the
5, then it is not possible to go back, because after this release
Cisco started *.sbn file that is a signed binary image, and previously
there was no signed. so it means a firmware v8x should come back to 7x
(logicaly), but why it is not working in my case I think there could
be two reasons.

1. May be I have to downgrade the firmware stepwise , like from 8.2 to
8.00 and then 7.something . but i tried my best to find a firmware in
between the 7.5 and 8.2, but no luck I could not find , if some one
has it , please lt me know so that I could give a try..

2. the second reason that is posiible, I downloaded the 8.2 version
from Cisco website. it contains the four files ;
P003-08-6-00.sbn ,P003-08-6-00.bin, P0S3-08-6-00.sb2,
P0S3-08-6-00.loads. whereas the old version that I got from some un
official source contains 5 files, including all these four plus
P0S3-07-5-00.sbn. I think it is the reason because new firmware does
not have this file, it does not replace P003-xx-x-xx.sbn with this
file, I think if I could get this file P0S3-08-2-00.sbn, the firmware
will be downgraded.

by the way Cisco asked me the serial number of my device ?? why they
did not mention....

regards

Old December 13th 07, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
jch2os

The way I got it working was to create a file called XMLDefault.cnf.xml
and put this in it:

callManagerGroup
members
member priority="0"
callManager
ports
ethernetPhonePort2000/ethernetPhonePort
mgcpPorts
listen2427/listen
keepAlive2428/keepAlive
/mgcpPorts
/ports
processNodeName/processNodeName
/callManager
/member
/members
/callManagerGroup
loadInformation8 model="IP Phone
7940"P0S3-07-5-00/loadInformation8
loadInformation7 model="IP Phone
7960"P0S3-07-5-00/loadInformation7
authenticationURL/authenticationURL
directoryURL/directoryURL
idleURL/idleURL
informationURL/informationURL
messagesURL/messagesURL
servicesURL/servicesURL

My OS79XX.TXT file has P0S3-07-5-00 in it. Let me know if this works
for you.

Jason

View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=34025
http://www.wirelessforums.org