AOL upgrade

Old December 12th 07, 12:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Weatherlawyer

Default AOL upgrade

I just spamdunked a message from the new owners of AOL offering me a
cheap upgrade for less than I am paying now and the possibility of
massive download speeds.

I know half of it is double speak but is the lower tariff due to the
new contract capping me? I only use the net for surfing forums but it
is often 24/7.

I look at the occasional large picture and am currently downloading
maybe one or two weather maps per day for an experiment.

I imagine I could cope with a fairly low cap but the idea of being
sold to the Carphone Warehouse without my say so smacks of slavery.
Besides which I was told that the original owner is the sort of
property developer rural communities live in fear of:

http://www.maerhillsactiongroup.co.uk/

And of course I could get the free version for nothing with TalkTalk,
my phone line provider.
Old December 12th 07, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
I just spamdunked a message from the new owners of AOL offering me a
cheap upgrade for less than I am paying now and the possibility of
massive download speeds.

I know half of it is double speak but is the lower tariff due to the
new contract capping me? I only use the net for surfing forums but it
is often 24/7.

I look at the occasional large picture and am currently downloading
maybe one or two weather maps per day for an experiment.

I imagine I could cope with a fairly low cap but the idea of being
sold to the Carphone Warehouse without my say so smacks of slavery.
Besides which I was told that the original owner is the sort of
property developer rural communities live in fear of:

http://www.maerhillsactiongroup.co.uk/

And of course I could get the free version for nothing with TalkTalk,
my phone line provider.

Your usage will be very low ... a couple of maps and forum usage is
negligible.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but Carphone Warehouse (spit) own AOL UK and
Talk Talk.

Old December 13th 07, 03:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Weatherlawyer

On Dec 12, 11:12 am, "Gizmo." wrote:
[...]

Yes I do know but the service I am on is still good. I don't know what
the help will be like if I ever need it again. But if I move supplier
it will be to one that I can use Linux on.

It's time I grew up technologically speaking. Not that I am looking
forward to the experience. Far from it. I think it is just the
language barrier but it is enough. The longer I leave it, the more
chance of a distro being user friendly.

Maybe I'll get one of those OxO cubes. But at 2 x $180, or whatever
the Sterling equivalent is, I could just as easily get a real
computer. There again, if they have got their act together, it might
be an intro worth the outlay.

Is the Python OLPC OS available as a distro anyone know?
Old December 13th 07, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

Weatherlawyer wrote:
I just spamdunked a message from the new owners of AOL offering me a
cheap upgrade for less than I am paying now and the possibility of
massive download speeds.

I'm not sure what you mean by "upgrade"? As far as I can tell the different
packages (Silver, Gold and Platinum) were unified into one service with a
common 8Mb maximum download for a single monthy tariff of 14.99 for those
with BT lines and 9.99 for those with unbundled lines.

(kim)

Old December 15th 07, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Weatherlawyer

On Dec 13, 11:25 pm, "kim" wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "upgrade"? As far as I can tell the different
packages (Silver, Gold and Platinum) were unified into one service with a
common 8Mb maximum download for a single monthy tariff of 14.99 for those
with BT lines and 9.99 for those with unbundled lines.

No those were introductory offers I was paying for someone else to
use. The going rate is more.

Evidently the idea is that since I am a loyal customer I won't mind
sharing their server with lots more people and financing any hardware
they will need for that in order to maintain my simple needs and it
turned out that they overestimated something so now I am getting
bandwidth I don't need instead of my money back.

But I mustn't grumble.