[OT] Please excuse test post

Old December 12th 07, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Rodgers

Default [OT] Please excuse test post

Having some trouble with new broadband connection: can post to scot.
test and rec.puzzles.crosswords, but not to uk.comp.home-networking.
Baffled, so trying here. Sorry!
--
Angus Rodgers
([email protected] eats spam; reply to [email protected])
Old December 12th 07, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Rodgers

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:29:51 +0000, I wrote:

Having some trouble with new broadband connection: can post to scot.
test and rec.puzzles.crosswords, but not to uk.comp.home-networking.
Baffled, so trying here. Sorry!

Curiouser and curiouser! Let's see if I can follow up. Sorry again.
Old December 12th 07, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Enzo

uk.test is this way -------

Old December 12th 07, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Enzo" wrote in message

: : "Angus Rodgers" wrote in message
: : ...
: : : Having some trouble with new broadband connection:
: : : can post to scot. test and rec.puzzles.crosswords,
: : : but not to uk.comp.home-networking. Baffled, so
: : : trying here. Sorry! --
: : : Angus Rodgers
: : : ([email protected] eats spam; reply to [email protected])
: : : Contains mild peril
: :
: : uk.test is this way -------

Read the OP's post. He can post to some groups but not others. Posting to
a test group would not help in rectifying this or identifying the problem.

Ivor

Old December 12th 07, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Enzo" wrote in message

"Angus Rodgers" wrote in message
Having some trouble with new broadband connection:
can post to scot. test and rec.puzzles.crosswords,
but not to uk.comp.home-networking. Baffled, so
trying here. Sorry! --
Angus Rodgers
([email protected] eats spam; reply to [email protected])
Contains mild peril

uk.test is this way -------

Read the OP's post. He can post to some groups but not others.
Posting to a test group would not help in rectifying this or
identifying the problem.
Ivor

You really expect someone on this group to actually follow a thread,
rather than jump in with their size 12's?

Old December 12th 07, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Rodgers

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 19:19:43 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Read the OP's post. He can post to some groups but not others. Posting to
a test group would not help in rectifying this or identifying the problem.

Thanks.

In fact my "experiments" so far (mostly in uk.comp.home-networking)
have shown a quasi-random pattern: sometimes long articles don't get
posted (and sometimes they do), and sometime short ones don't get
posted (and sometimes they do), and this quasi-random pattern can
occur in any newsgroup.

(Knowing this, now, I will confine future "experiments" to a *.test
newsgroup. Except to see if I can post this! ... first attempt was
a failure, trying again ...)
Old December 14th 07, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Jay

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:47:14 +0000, Angus Rodgers
wrote:
In fact my "experiments" so far (mostly in uk.comp.home-networking)
have shown a quasi-random pattern: sometimes long articles don't get
posted (and sometimes they do), and sometime short ones don't get
posted (and sometimes they do), and this quasi-random pattern can
occur in any newsgroup.

Have you checked Google groups (or better still another news server)
to see if your articles appear there?

It might also be worthwhile to check Agent's log window to see if your
articles are being rejected for some reason.
--
Martin Jay
Old December 15th 07, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Rodgers

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:36:31 +0000, Martin Jay
wrote:

Have you checked Google groups (or better still another news server)
to see if your articles appear there?

They remain in Agent's outbox. They aren't on Google. I'm going
to set up another instance of Agent to use Aioe.org. I will also
try another news client.

It might also be worthwhile to check Agent's log window to see if your
articles are being rejected for some reason.

Any article 238+ bytes longer than router's MTU (length measured
by saving with all headers) is rejected ("Connection closed un-
expectedly by server"). I can traceroute/telnet to server. I've
e-mailed News.Individual.Net for help.
Old December 15th 07, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Rodgers

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 08:54:28 +0000, I wrote:

Any article 238+ bytes longer than router's MTU (length measured
by saving with all headers) is rejected [...]

Nit-pick: /that/ article was 13 bytes longer than the conjectured
upper limit! (Also, an article exactly 1 byte longer than that one
was rejected.) I think the difference is mostly (but not entirely)
explained by the length of the newsgroup name, compared to the one
where I posted all my test articles. I could easily go mad doing
all this testing ...
Old December 15th 07, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Rodgers

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 09:23:17 +0000, I wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 08:54:28 +0000, I wrote:

Any article 238+ bytes longer than router's MTU (length measured
by saving with all headers) is rejected [...]

Nit-pick: /that/ article was 13 bytes longer than the conjectured
upper limit! (Also, an article exactly 1 byte longer than that one
was rejected.) [...]

Judging by the length of failed posts saved with all headers, the
maximum length is MTU minus 72 bytes (presumably independently of
newsgroup name, etc.) at the time when it is actually posted.