VOIP: to have or not to have

Old December 12th 07, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Allan Gould

Default VOIP: to have or not to have

[Reposted from uk.telecom, where incorrectly posted]
VOIP has been around for a while now. I don't use/have it, but maybe
need to review that decision. The main reason I don't use it seems to
be that I don't know many (if any) people that I ring who have it (and
therefore can't get the full benefit). I don't make a high volume of
calls to any one number (that may or may not be a VOIP number). If I
had VOIP, and I ring a non-VOIP person, I would have to pay call charges
(about 1p/min?). Also, if I make international calls (not many), I can
usually find a cheap (1p/min) number from that trusty old friend,
http://niftylist.co.uk/ (who are presumably using some clever
international internet-related VOIP routing comms). I typically have
enough free minutes & texts on my landline (which I need for ISP
broadband subscription) and mobile packages. I can't see the advantage
of having VOIP at present. Am I missing something?
Old December 12th 07, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger Mills

Default to have or not to have

Allan Gould wrote:

[...]

Probably not! A lot depends on individual circumstances.

My wife and I are retired, and in a lot during the daytime, and - although
we don't make that many phone calls - we often want to use the phone at the
same time, or one of us wants to use the phone while the other wants the
line left open because they are expecting an important incoming call.

Our solution is to use VoiP for virtually all outgoing calls (at 1ppm with
voip.co.uk[1]) and to use the BT landline for incoming calls. Calls are
charged by the second, with no minimum per-call charge - so if we get BT
Answer rather than a person, and ring off without leaving a message, the
call costs a fraction of a penny rather than BT's 6p or whatever. Our VoiP
system is set up to present the BT landline number rather than the VoiP
number when making outgoing calls - so anyone returning a call automatically
does so to the landline.

We need the BT line for broadband, but pay the lowest line rental
available - with no bundled calls. Also, we only use our mobile phones for
emergencies and when away from home, so don't have a monthly contract or
bundled minutes with them.

[1] There is an option to pay 2 per month and get free evening and weekend
calls, with daytime calls costing 2p each - but my monthly analysis of calls
made invariably shows that I'm better off just paying the 1ppm for all
calls.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old December 12th 07, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Al Paca

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:32:52 -0000, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

[1] There is an option to pay 2 per month and get free evening and weekend
calls, with daytime calls costing 2p each - but my monthly analysis of calls
made invariably shows that I'm better off just paying the 1ppm for all
calls.

This option is now no longer offered to new customers or existing
customers who have let this part of their package lapse.

Old December 12th 07, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Iain

Roger Mills wrote:

[1] There is an option to pay 2 per month and get free evening and weekend
calls, with daytime calls costing 2p each - but my monthly analysis of calls
made invariably shows that I'm better off just paying the 1ppm for all
calls.

There used to be. But there isn't any more.
Old December 12th 07, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Allan Gould" wrote in message

[...]

To me, the advantage of VoIP is that you can have multiple numbers (in
different areas if you want) at little or no extra cost. I have numbers in
London, Birmingham, the USA and Germany, in addition to a couple in my own
local area. Ok a bit OTT but then I'm a nerd ;-)

The US number is particularly useful as my friends there, who have
inclusive calls to any US number on their landline calling plan, can call
me for free any time. It costs me 1.5p/min to call them, so what I usually
do is call them, then they call me back. Total cost 1.5p for a call that
can go on for an hour and a half ;-)

Ivor

Old December 12th 07, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

To my mind the main advantage of having voip is that it gives you a
second line - if you use Sipgate you get a number and can receive calls
with no cost. (You only have to pay if you want to make calls.) The voip
number can be undisclosed so you can avoid callers you don't want to
talk to as well.

As others have said, if you have particular people that you call and
that have broadband as well, then your calls can be free. If you have
an ATA (analogue telephone adapter) you PC doesn't even need
to be switched on.

The main catch for most people is that broadband comes down the same
line as your POTS (plan old telephone system) so if you loose your
landline you also loose voip. I'm lucky as my Internet is cable but my
landline is BT, so I will never loose both - hopefully.

Having said all that I saw something on uk.teleocm a few months ago
called
18185 which (for UK landline calls) costs 5p connection at any time -
and that's it. No matter how long you stay on line the call is free. I
know that is little different for evening and weekend calls on BT, but
it makes one heck of a difference for daytime calls. Their international
calls are also 4p connection and a few pence a minute. My wife has
called a sick friend in Belgium many times over the last couple of
months and the cost has never been more than 1p/min - occasionally
0.5p/min! www.18185.co.uk

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 12th 07, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

[...]

I have pretty much come to the same conclusion. I spent a fortune playing
with Asterisk,
getting Nice Cisco phones,all fun and games for a while, I was self employed
and had spare time.
however now I can not be bothered, the amount of savings I make at home via
VOIP at home now probably would be
less the cost of leccy for the phones I have.

I went down the road of trying to have a multitude of VOIP in numbers in
different places, and to be honest it tended to **** more off.
Most people not really that bothered which number they call as long as it
works which is not always the case.

Nowerdays the closest I come to VOIP is uisng Skype. The VOIP nazis on the
group will no doubt say its not a real VOIP system. But is pretty much the
most useful system around as if any of your friends are likely to be using a
VOIP system it will be SKYPE, I know also have a Skyphone from Three which
allows me free skype calls on my mobile. This function has sometimes saved
me more money in 1 day than rest of my home based VOIP system in 2 years.

Old December 13th 07, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Geddes

Allan Gould wrote:
... I can't see the advantage
of having VOIP at present. Am I missing something?

Great for families with teenagers:

- very cheap way of giving kids their own phone in their room with their
own PSTN number (saves costs for their friends who can call them much
cheaper than on mobiles, reduces their exposure to RF, and a real help
if you live in an area where mobile coverage is poor)

- great to have a second number for family and close friends to try when
PSTN line is in use (eg so that kids can call in for a lift whilst
spouse is using the phone is in use)

John Geddes
Derbyshire
Old December 13th 07, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Chris Davies

Allan Gould wrote:
VOIP has been around for a while now. I don't use/have it, but maybe
need to review that decision. [...]

I can't see the advantage of having VOIP at present. [...]

(Hi Allan!) I tend to agree with you. Thanks to Finarea it's considerably
cheaper for me to use my landline than it is to use Sipgate's VoIP
service.

However, VoIP gives me a second line (a "real" 01- number for
inbound/outbound calls) which I use when I (regularly) work from home. I
prefer to avoid giving out my real home number to anyone any work, and my
(Vodafone) mobile doesn't work reliably in my corner of Harrogate.

Redirecting my work mobile number to my home number (actually a CallSign
variant) is fine for inbound calls, but I prefer to make outbound calls
with a separate chargeable call structure rather than mixing them up
with my personal home calls.

My wife is a private physiotherapist, and although her published contact
number is her mobile, we'd prefer it if she could publish a Harrogate
number. We've been strongly advised against publishing our home number,
so a second VoIP line would let us do that easily. (CallSign could too,
but again it's only half the solution.)

Chris
Old December 13th 07, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

RH wrote:
Nowerdays the closest I come to VOIP is uisng Skype. The VOIP nazis on the
group will no doubt say its not a real VOIP system.

Skype is VoIP using a proprietary closed protocol. Most other VoIP
systems are Standards based, using SIP. I'm not sure of the status of
IAX but I believe it is (at least) an open protocol.

It's a shame there's no interoperatbility. (If Skype published its
protocol then I bet it wouldn't take long for someone to create a
gateway.)

Chris