Which ADSL ISP?

Old December 12th 07, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steph

Default Which ADSL ISP?

House move forces me to look for an ADSL service, having been with
NTL/Virgin via cable for many years. My phone line supports up to 3.5MB,
and my main usage is peer-to-peer filesharing, so 2MB or 8MB unlimited would
be fine - preferably not capped for p2p.

Which ISP is recommended? I'm told Virgin is crap, and BT is the most
expensive. Tiscali?

Old December 12th 07, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Steph wrote:

House move forces me to look for an ADSL service, having been with
NTL/Virgin via cable for many years. My phone line supports up to 3.5MB,
and my main usage is peer-to-peer filesharing, so 2MB or 8MB unlimited would
be fine - preferably not capped for p2p.

Which ISP is recommended? I'm told Virgin is crap, and BT is the most
expensive. Tiscali?

You should avoid ALL the large consumer ISPs if you want a decent service.

Graham

Old December 12th 07, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

"Steph" wrote in message
House move forces me to look for an ADSL service, having been with
NTL/Virgin via cable for many years. My phone line supports up to 3.5MB,
and my main usage is peer-to-peer filesharing, so 2MB or 8MB unlimited
would be fine - preferably not capped for p2p.

Which ISP is recommended? I'm told Virgin is crap, and BT is the most
expensive. Tiscali?

is this a joke? uncapped, unlimited TISCALI?????
depends on your budget, for about 80/month you may get near what your
after, i'd suggest entanet rellers such as vivaciti and adsl24 for a
330gb/month cap if you dont mind a bit of slowdown over the weekend (usually
to about 3mbs, can be as low as 2mbs) or idnet for better speeds at weekends
with lower caps.
check sites kitz , thinkbroadband, dslzoneuk for more info.

Old December 12th 07, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steph

You should avoid ALL the large consumer ISPs if you want a decent service.

Graham

So, who would you suggest?
Old December 12th 07, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian & Hilda Dedic

tony h wrote:
"Steph" wrote in message
House move forces me to look for an ADSL service, having been with
NTL/Virgin via cable for many years. My phone line supports up to 3.5MB,
and my main usage is peer-to-peer filesharing, so 2MB or 8MB unlimited
would be fine - preferably not capped for p2p.

Which ISP is recommended? I'm told Virgin is crap, and BT is the most
expensive. Tiscali?

is this a joke? uncapped, unlimited TISCALI?????
depends on your budget, for about 80/month you may get near what your
after, i'd suggest entanet rellers such as vivaciti and adsl24 for a
330gb/month cap if you dont mind a bit of slowdown over the weekend (usually
to about 3mbs, can be as low as 2mbs) or idnet for better speeds at weekends
with lower caps.
check sites kitz , thinkbroadband, dslzoneuk for more info.

If your exchange has LLU with BeThere I can recommend them -- rock-solid
speed even at evenings and weekends (just under 10Mb/s in my case), no
capping or throttling or limits for p2p or anything else -- they have a
fair use policy but it's never been applied, not even to people who
average 500Gb/month...

Ian

P.S. Not me, I average about 40Gb/month, mainly the wife's US TV series.
Old December 12th 07, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Steph wrote:

You should avoid ALL the large consumer ISPs if you want a decent service.

So, who would you suggest?

I'm very happy with Idnet. The speed and reliability is excellent, however if
you're doing a lot of P2P then they'll be more expensive than some ISPs. Their
30GB included package is 24.99 for example.

But you haven't said what your actual usage is like yet.

Graham

Old December 12th 07, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Steph wrote:
You should avoid ALL the large consumer ISPs if you want a decent
service.

Graham

So, who would you suggest?

Claranet ain't cheap, but there servers WORK. And you get pretty much
full bandwidth.

For peer to peer you won't get better than 448 K tho as thats the upload
speed limit on adsl max..

Old December 12th 07, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Soruk

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 21:52:58 GMT, Steph wrote:
You should avoid ALL the large consumer ISPs if you want a decent service.

Graham

So, who would you suggest?

I do a lot of P2P (mainly fansubs) - Demon works great for me. More
expensive than some but absolutely no complaints about the service.

Old December 13th 07, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

Steph wrote:
You should avoid ALL the large consumer ISPs if you want a decent
service.

Graham

So, who would you suggest?

Claranet ain't cheap, but there servers WORK. And you get pretty much full
bandwidth.

For peer to peer you won't get better than 448 K tho as thats the upload
speed limit on adsl max..

That's your upload speed, most people are only interested in how fast you
can download on P2P. I can reach 780K/s, more on a good day, but to do that
you need to adjust the number of half open connections (in your chosen
program) and run the lvllord tcpip.sys patch if using XP.
Check out the usage limitations from ISPs as they lie about being
"unlimited".

Old December 13th 07, 01:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hog

tony h wrote:
"Steph" wrote in message
House move forces me to look for an ADSL service, having been with
NTL/Virgin via cable for many years. My phone line supports up to
3.5MB, and my main usage is peer-to-peer filesharing, so 2MB or 8MB
unlimited would be fine - preferably not capped for p2p.

Which ISP is recommended? I'm told Virgin is crap, and BT is the
most expensive. Tiscali?

is this a joke? uncapped, unlimited TISCALI?????
depends on your budget, for about 80/month you may get near what your
after, i'd suggest entanet rellers such as vivaciti and adsl24 for a
330gb/month cap if you dont mind a bit of slowdown over the weekend
(usually to about 3mbs, can be as low as 2mbs) or idnet for better
speeds at weekends with lower caps.
check sites kitz , thinkbroadband, dslzoneuk for more info.

P2P and usenet simply won't work over Tiscali.

Try sky for cheapness if you are in an Easynet LLU exchange. Zen if you are
prepared to pay for a quality business type service. BE www.bethere.co.uk
if you are in their LLU area.