AOL download limit now reduced to 10GB...

Old December 13th 07, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

Default AOL download limit now reduced to 10GB...

No kidding!

http://myaolbroadband.co.uk/broadban...d.adp#answer30

(kim)

Old December 14th 07, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

kim wrote:

No kidding!

http://myaolbroadband.co.uk/broadban...d.adp#answer30

As I have said for ages, the one price and download as much as you like
pricing model cannot survive.

Graham

Old December 14th 07, 01:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

Eeyore wrote:
kim wrote:

No kidding!

http://myaolbroadband.co.uk/broadban...d.adp#answer30

As I have said for ages, the one price and download as much as you
like pricing model cannot survive.

Graham

Imagine if water was sold the same way. "You have now exceeded your daily
allowance of four inches of bathwater. You may not now use any more water
until eleven o'clock this evening, not even to flush the toilet." Something
tells me there'd be a big stink.

(kim)

Old December 14th 07, 01:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Herber

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 01:31:10 -0000, "kim" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
kim wrote:

No kidding!

http://myaolbroadband.co.uk/broadban...d.adp#answer30

As I have said for ages, the one price and download as much as you
like pricing model cannot survive.

Graham

Imagine if water was sold the same way. "You have now exceeded your daily
allowance of four inches of bathwater. You may not now use any more water
until eleven o'clock this evening, not even to flush the toilet." Something
tells me there'd be a big stink.

It's bound to happen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_r...s_in_Australia

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/ http://www.pherber.com/
Old December 14th 07, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Jay

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:32:21 -0000, "kim" wrote:

No kidding!

http://myaolbroadband.co.uk/broadban...d.adp#answer30

"What happens if I exceed the 10Gb cap?

At present, the minority of subscribers that exceed the Fair Use
policy will have speed limits placed on their connection during peak
times. This enables us to ensure that all our subscribers get the best
possible service during busier times. Peak times vary but are
currently Sunday to Thursday evenings. If you continue to exceed the
the cap, we reserve the right to terminate your AOL Broadband
subscription."

This seems reasonable. I guesstimate I currently download over
40GBytes a month using my GBP14.99 a month AOL account. I
deliberately schedule most of my large downloads for after midnight,
so I don't think I'll notice any difference.
--
Martin Jay
Old December 14th 07, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

"Eeyore" wrote in message

kim wrote:

No kidding!

http://myaolbroadband.co.uk/broadban...d.adp#answer30

As I have said for ages, the one price and download as much as you like
pricing model cannot survive.

I was posting much the same 3 or 4 years ago.
With IP TV and multimedia IP just around the corner you can expect more and
more ISPs putting such restrictions into place. Also expect them to start
moving over to whats known as the "Aussie model" - you get xxGB allowance
with your monthly subscription, then pay $AUS per GB there after.
Personally I'm all in favour of it, as the more you use the more you pay.

Old December 14th 07, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

"kim" wrote in message
Eeyore wrote:
kim wrote:

No kidding!

http://myaolbroadband.co.uk/broadban...d.adp#answer30

As I have said for ages, the one price and download as much as you
like pricing model cannot survive.

Graham

Imagine if water was sold the same way.

err ... it is.
Ever heard of a water meter ?

Old December 14th 07, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

"Gizmo." wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
kim wrote:

No kidding!

http://myaolbroadband.co.uk/broadban...d.adp#answer30

As I have said for ages, the one price and download as much as you like
pricing model cannot survive.

I was posting much the same 3 or 4 years ago.
With IP TV and multimedia IP just around the corner you can expect more and
more ISPs putting such restrictions into place. Also expect them to start
moving over to whats known as the "Aussie model" - you get xxGB allowance
with your monthly subscription, then pay $AUS per GB there after.
Personally I'm all in favour of it, as the more you use the more you pay.

Indeed. The logic of that is irrefutable.

Graham

Old December 14th 07, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz

"kim" wrote in message
No kidding!

http://myaolbroadband.co.uk/broadban...d.adp#answer30

It's gettin to the point now that, ISP's are selling a product that is
practically useless to anyone that dares to use it.
They are so out of touch with the product and it's uses they are
selling.
They don't deserve to be in business if they think 10GB is too much for
anyone to have.
Do they expect you to use it for a few mins a day, and only to use it to
read their homepage and send a few emails?

Old December 14th 07, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Cliffe

Gonz wrote:
"kim" wrote in message
No kidding!

http://myaolbroadband.co.uk/broadban...d.adp#answer30

It's gettin to the point now that, ISP's are selling a product that is
practically useless to anyone that dares to use it.
They are so out of touch with the product and it's uses they are
selling.
They don't deserve to be in business if they think 10GB is too much
for anyone to have.
Do they expect you to use it for a few mins a day, and only to use it
to read their homepage and send a few emails?

Yes, because that's what most of their customers do.

Its a minority who use 10-50Gb/month and a tiny group who use more than
that.

- Nigel (ex BT, with access to such stats when working at BT ).

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/