Recommend ATA please

Old December 14th 07, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Soruk

Default Recommend ATA please

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:48:22 -0800 (PST), Dave Angel wrote:

Unless you're calling other SIP endpoints, i.e. your calls are entirely
VoIP, then I'd be really interested to know what VoIP provider you're
using that's cheaper than a landline, please?

Hi Chris. Most of my calls are national calls during the day.
Voipfone charge 1p per minute for this with no minimum charge anywhere
in the UK at any time, pay as you go. BT charge 5p immediately even
if you speak to someone for 30 seconds (which I often do). All this
adds up.

It's worse than that in the daytime. 6p connection charge, and 3p for the
first minute makes it quite pricey at 9p.

Old December 15th 07, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

wrote:

Unless you're calling other SIP endpoints, i.e. your calls are entirely
VoIP, then I'd be really interested to know what VoIP provider you're
using that's cheaper than a landline, please?

Hi Chris. Most of my calls are national calls during the day.
Voipfone charge 1p per minute for this with no minimum charge anywhere
in the UK at any time, pay as you go. BT charge 5p immediately even
if you speak to someone for 30 seconds (which I often do). All this
adds up.

It's worse than that in the daytime. 6p connection charge, and 3p for the
first minute makes it quite pricey at 9p.

Though if you have a BT landline you should be use Call 18185, UK landline
calls for 5p per call.

If you have a BT landline then there's little saving with VoIP unless you
can make VoIP - VoIP calls.

If you have cable broadband, you can dump the 'old' landline and just use
VoIP - then you can save some decent money.

--
3 Issues of PC Pro for 1
Plus Free Toolkit

Old December 15th 07, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
.uk...

wrote:

[...]

I would entirely agree with that. We started using 18185 a couple of
months back and it has been an absolute godsend. We have a relative in
hospital elsewhere in the UK and to be able to call at any time for 5p
unlimited duration is brilliant. Our normal call charges from previous
sources was about 18/month: with 18185 and still using BT occassionally
for evening calls to keep them happy (CLI and all that) our call charges
have much better than halved.

I also have a voip phone with voip.co.uk (despite all its ongoing
problems) running on my cable-feed internet. It is useful but sometimes
suffers quite bad delayed echo (notably from mobiles) which can make
communication a tad difficult. Nonetheless it is useful as a second line
if the BT line is engaged.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 15th 07, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Angel

On 15 Dec, 08:51, "Woody" wrote:

I would entirely agree with that. We started using 18185 a couple of
months back and it has been an absolute godsend. We have a relative in
hospital elsewhere in the UK and to be able to call at any time for 5p
unlimited duration is brilliant. Our normal call charges from previous
sources was about 18/month: with 18185 and still using BT occassionally
for evening calls to keep them happy (CLI and all that) our call charges
have much better than halved.

Thanks for this. I was not aware of the 18185 service to be honest.
This sounds like a perfect solution and would save buying an ATA too.
Perfect for outgoing calls only to get the BT bill down.
Old December 15th 07, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Dave Angel" wrote in message

: On 15 Dec, 08:51, "Woody" wrote:
:
: : I would entirely agree with that. We started using
: : 18185 a couple of months back and it has been an
: : absolute godsend. We have a relative in hospital
: : elsewhere in the UK and to be able to call at any time
: : for 5p unlimited duration is brilliant. Our normal call
: : charges from previous sources was about 18/month: with
: : 18185 and still using BT occassionally for evening
: : calls to keep them happy (CLI and all that) our call
: : charges have much better than halved.
: :
:
: Thanks for this. I was not aware of the 18185 service to
: be honest. This sounds like a perfect solution and would
: save buying an ATA too. Perfect for outgoing calls only
: to get the BT bill down.

The advantage to me of VoIP is multiple numbers for little or no extra
charge. You can then have personal numbers for everyone in the household
if you like (perfect if you have teenagers..!) without tying up your main
BT number.

Ivor

Old December 15th 07, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Iain

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

Though if you have a BT landline you should be use Call 18185, UK
landline calls for 5p per call.

True, but they keep raising their prices.

If you have a BT landline then there's little saving with VoIP unless
you can make VoIP - VoIP calls.

Oh, there certainly is. With someone like voipstunt you get free calls.

If you have cable broadband, you can dump the 'old' landline and just
use VoIP - then you can save some decent money.

That's true.
Old December 15th 07, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Iain wrote:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

Though if you have a BT landline you should be use Call 18185, UK
landline calls for 5p per call.

True, but they keep raising their prices.

If you have a BT landline then there's little saving with VoIP unless
you can make VoIP - VoIP calls.

Oh, there certainly is. With someone like voipstunt you get free
calls.
If you have cable broadband, you can dump the 'old' landline and just
use VoIP - then you can save some decent money.

That's true.

VoIP Stunt is the company I use myself (since they started up about 2.5
years back), I continue to use these and not other Betamax services, simply
as I have a very good local number with them, I do have local numbers from
VoIPCheap, SipDiscount and an 0845 with VoIPBuster, but the VoIPStunt one is
a good number.

I was VoIP only for over 2 years, but was offered a deal of not paying for
my phone line and getting inclusive evening and weekend calls, so took that.

I still use VoIPStunt for calls that aren't free on my landline, but don't
need to use VoIP as much as I did. Still my VoIP setup does give me 2 extra
lines.

But if you have a BT line, you can get evening and weekend calls for no
extra fee via Primus Saver 2 and also use 18185 for other calls.

So if you have a BT line and use ADSL as you have no cable broadband then
the cost of buying the ATA might not give you the same high savings you
could with no landline and cable broadband.

I didn't even pay for a years credit on VoIPStunt, I used my completely free
easyMobile credit to top the account up with, so I got 1 years of free
calling and a tidy sum in credit. With easyMobile it was either use the
free credit or lose it when they closed down.

--
Worried about debt?
http://www.cccs.co.uk