My neighbour's ISP?

Old December 15th 07, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default My neighbour's ISP?

Hi, my neighbour is having trouble getting on-line with her broadband
connection. She tells me that after hopping from ISP to ISP, including
AOL, Telewest, BlueYonder etc., she is currently with *Virgin
Broadband*.
I can see no indications of this on her existing computer setup, in
fact there's a lot of BlueYonder related stuff. This includes her
current username: . Rosie explained that
she is on a package which caused her Blueyonder login details to be
carried over to the new Broadband account.
Equally confusing is the fact that the modem is a Motorola Surfboard
cable modem. Do Virgin Broadband provide a route for ex-BlueYonder
subscribers to keep using their old hardware and login details on a
new Virgin based service?
Seems quite peculiar to me.

Regards,
Dick Treen
Old December 15th 07, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Cliffe

wrote:
Hi, my neighbour is having trouble getting on-line with her broadband
connection. She tells me that after hopping from ISP to ISP, including
AOL, Telewest, BlueYonder etc., she is currently with *Virgin
Broadband*.
I can see no indications of this on her existing computer setup, in
fact there's a lot of BlueYonder related stuff. This includes her
current username: . Rosie explained that
she is on a package which caused her Blueyonder login details to be
carried over to the new Broadband account.
Equally confusing is the fact that the modem is a Motorola Surfboard
cable modem. Do Virgin Broadband provide a route for ex-BlueYonder
subscribers to keep using their old hardware and login details on a
new Virgin based service?
Seems quite peculiar to me.

Well done for putting your neighbours email address in the clear on a
newsgroup. That used to be the guaranteed way to get onto spammer lists !
(I changed it to (deleted) in the extract above).

Blueyonder was a Telewest brand. Now owned by Virgin. Does that help you
?

The following was second URL on a search of "blueyonder" on Google:
http://www.virginmedia.com/customers...e/telewest.php

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old December 15th 07, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 15 Dec, 10:42, "Nigel Cliffe" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Don't be such a daft pratt. You're too desperate to score points
matey.

That used to be the guaranteed way to get onto spammer lists !
(I changed it to (deleted) in the extract above).

Blueyonder was a Telewest brand. Now owned by Virgin. Does that help you
?

The following was second URL on a search of "blueyonder" on Google:http://www.virginmedia.com/customers...e/telewest.php

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster athttp://www.2mm.org.uk/

Thanks Nigel

Regards,
Dick Treen
Old December 15th 07, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 15 Dec, 11:10, Mark McIntyre wrote:
wrote:
On 15 Dec, 10:42, "Nigel Cliffe" wrote:
Well done for putting your neighbours email address in the clear on a
newsgroup.

Don't be such a daft pratt. You're too desperate to score points
matey.

Unfortunately Nigel was correct - spammers scan newsgroups, extract
plaintext readable email addresses, and add them to their lists.

No, Nigel was not correct, because I didn't put my neighbour's email
address in a NG post. Geddit?

Regards,
Dick Treen

Old December 15th 07, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

In message

at 04:35:06 on Sat, 15 Dec 2007, "
wrote
No, Nigel was not correct, because I didn't put my neighbour's email
address in a NG post. Geddit?

Well I just hope there isn't a Rosie Phillips on blue yonder isn't a
valid address then
--
Mike News
Old December 15th 07, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 15 Dec, 13:07, Mike
S wrote:
In message

at 04:35:06 on Sat, 15 Dec 2007, "
wroteNo, Nigel was not correct, because I didn't put my neighbour's email
address in a NG post. Geddit?

Well I just hope there isn't a Rosie Phillips on blue yonder isn't a
valid address then
--
Mike News

I just knew tht's what you'd hope Mike. Milk it for everything it's
got eh?
Old December 15th 07, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

" wrote:

Hi, my neighbour is having trouble getting on-line with her broadband
connection. She tells me that after hopping from ISP to ISP, including
AOL, Telewest, BlueYonder etc., she is currently with *Virgin
Broadband*.

Well, BlueYonder WAS Telewest's broadband and Telewest is part of Virgin
Media now so there's not actually been that much hopping.

I can see no indications of this on her existing computer setup, in
fact there's a lot of BlueYonder related stuff. This includes her
current username: . Rosie explained that
she is on a package which caused her Blueyonder login details to be
carried over to the new Broadband account.
Equally confusing is the fact that the modem is a Motorola Surfboard
cable modem.

These were quite common cable modems some time back.

Graham

Old December 15th 07, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

In message

at 06:06:41 on Sat, 15 Dec 2007, "
wrote
I just knew tht's what you'd hope Mike. Milk it for everything it's
got eh?

Just a shame you've got a throwaway account isn't it
--
Mike News