New to broadband :(

Old December 15th 07, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BigGirlsBlouse

Default New to broadband :(

Having been on dial up for the last 7years I finally have to move after dear
old Virgin Media have decided to terminate my NTL Freedom dial up service in
March 08.
This gave unlimited use of the net at any time of the day for any period
(the NTL gearbox cutting you off after 2 hours...but you could dial right in
again) and any phone calls up to 15 worth a month.... that is national,
international, 0898 premium no's, and mobiles however you were capped at
15 unless you wanted to be charged more if you exceeded 15 worth. Minimum
call charges were 7p.
Only trouble is I am on BT lines with BT rental so cost per month ends up
being quite high at an additional 12.49/ month.

Having looked at U switch and the like the choice is overwhelming....
ideally I want the same level of service... that is any call (except
international which I dont make) included in the price, line rental included
ideally, my post code is DN20 and some providers state that I should be able
to achieve 5 to 7 mb/s. I am 1.2 miles away from our BT exchange.
Also the likes of U switch don't have the Post Office in their list, but
then I am wary of any ISP which saturates TV with advertising since it is
likely at least in the short term to have very poor customer service due to
being inundated with demand which they would may have difficulty in
supplying.

My call totals for the last few months was as follows, latest monthly
charges at the top;
5.38
12.60
4.33
3.02
5.20
6.12
7.63
5.89
6.80
14.88
15.38

All I need is telephone and broadband... any suggestions of suppliers
please?.... and I dont want to use Virgin again!

Old December 15th 07, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BigGirlsBlouse

Oh yes...and theres something else..when Virgin took over from NTL they
stopped posting of JPEG's to newsgroups!..causing some problems for me to
get my hobby of canal photos to other interested parties on a newsgroup. I
had to send them through an intermediary.
So I need access to as many newsgroups as possible including the unmoderated
ones, and the ability of the newsgroup accepts binaries to download my
photos.

thanks Guys and Gals

Old December 15th 07, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

BigGirlsBlouse wrote:

Oh yes...and theres something else..when Virgin took over from NTL

Virgin didn't take over from NTL. NTL simply changed its name to (rebranded
itself as ) Virgin.

they stopped posting of JPEG's to newsgroups!..causing some problems for me to

get my hobby of canal photos to other interested parties on a newsgroup. I
had to send them through an intermediary.
So I need access to as many newsgroups as possible including the unmoderated
ones, and the ability of the newsgroup accepts binaries to download my
photos.

These days you're usually going to have to pay for binary newsgroup access.

Graham

Old December 15th 07, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

[...]

Virtually all of the big names, ie, BT, Orange, TalkTalk, Tiscali etc.,
etc., etc., are all the same in respect of crap customer service and not
wanting to know when problems arise. Look at any "listings" and one month BT
will be at the top, next month someone else will be, so you pays your money
and takes your chance. There are others like Entanet or Idnet who are very
good but cost more.

Personally, because I was a BT employee at the time when they started BT
Internet, I went with them and have been with them ever since. Two good
things about this is that you minimise (but don't altogether avoid) the
"It's nothing to do with us, it's Orange.... No it's nothing to do with us,
it's BT" scenario, and they also carry a huge range of newsgroups, including
binaries, for no extra charge (newsfeed from Giganews).

There are so many variables that you'd have to do the maths and see if it
was worth it but, I'd suggest BT as your ISP (BT Total Broadband, Option 1,
2 or 3) and also paying your line rental to BT. Go for BT Together Option 1
for that so that you can then use a CPS provider (Carrier PreSelection) like
www.18185.co.uk for calls - that is, you rent the line from BT, if it ever
goes faulty you still get BT to fix it, but you pay someone else for your
calls. BT are the only ones who, by law, have to let you use a CPS provider.

You could go the whole hog and get an Orchid Dialler (or similar) and
program it to route different calls, at different times of the day, with
whichever provider is the cheapest at that time. Have a look here for
further info
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...74&postcount=4

HTH,

John

Old December 15th 07, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Cliffe

John wrote:
[...]

Alternative/additional stuff:

ISPs fall into two camps on installation charges. The big brand names tend
to have "free install" and "free router/modem", but its paid for by a 12 or
18 month minimum contract. The smaller niche providers tend to charge
installation (typically 40-50) and may also charge for router/modem
(perhaps 30-50 from computer supplier).

One relatively cheap route towards getting a niche ISP later is to take a
brand name for their 12 months, then get your MAC code to transfer. The
niche ISPs tend to not charge for transfers (don't get charged a setup by BT
Wholesale and Openreach), and you keep the old router/modem from your
original ISP.

On the BT Internet option; Additional to John's point. BT now bundle
"Broadband Talk" with their consumer ISP packages. That gives free evening
and weekend calls to UK landlines via a VOIP handset (*), so that may be an
acceptable way of keeping phone use down. Optionally there is a monthly
rental fee which extends the "free" period to "anytime of day". Check small
print for number ranges covered, but 01x and 02x are in the "free" group.

(* handset = either the phone supplied with the "home hub" to customers
taking the expensive broadband packages, or any old PSTN telephone
(including DECT cordless) plugged into the VOIP socket on the supplied 220v
router on the basic package ).

I'm not saying "go with BT", just look at the option and do the sums.

- Nigel (ex BT R&D, involved in ISP services, so know what is offered).

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old December 15th 07, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
S Viemeister

John wrote:

Personally, because I was a BT employee at the time when they started BT
Internet, I went with them and have been with them ever since. Two good
things about this is that you minimise (but don't altogether avoid) the
"It's nothing to do with us, it's Orange.... No it's nothing to do with us,
it's BT" scenario, and they also carry a huge range of newsgroups, including
binaries, for no extra charge (newsfeed from Giganews).

I didn't realise that BT Broadband included free newsgroup access - I'm
with BT, but I've been using the German server for years (formerly free,
now 10 Euro per year).
Old December 15th 07, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

BigGirlsBlouse wrote:
Oh yes...and theres something else..when Virgin took over from NTL

just to be clear, ntl took over virgin.

they
stopped posting of JPEG's to newsgroups!..

I doubt this. Are you sure you weren't suffering some other issue?
Old December 15th 07, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

[Mark McIntyre], on Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:07:17 +0000, said :-

BigGirlsBlouse wrote:
Oh yes...and theres something else..when Virgin took over from NTL

just to be clear, ntl took over virgin.

Try getting it right.

NTL bought Virgin Mobile after buying Telewest.

NTL then renamed itself as Virgin Media.
Old December 15th 07, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
John wrote:

Personally, because I was a BT employee at the time when they started BT
Internet, I went with them and have been with them ever since. Two good
things about this is that you minimise (but don't altogether avoid) the
"It's nothing to do with us, it's Orange.... No it's nothing to do with
us, it's BT" scenario, and they also carry a huge range of newsgroups,
including binaries, for no extra charge (newsfeed from Giganews).

I didn't realise that BT Broadband included free newsgroup access - I'm
with BT, but I've been using the German server for years (formerly free,
now 10 Euro per year).

They've always provided it free but it was very hit and miss before they got
Giganews about 12 or 18 months ago (IIRC).

John

Old December 15th 07, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BigGirlsBlouse

BigGirlsBlouse wrote:
Oh yes...and theres something else..when Virgin took over from NTL

just to be clear, ntl took over virgin.

Try getting it right.

NTL bought Virgin Mobile after buying Telewest.

NTL then renamed itself as Virgin Media.

Surely the Virgin Group wouldn't allow that?