test results

Old December 15th 07, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
systemtek

Default test results

Im just wondering what peoples opinions are on test results for
example, I am on Sky 8MB package, whenever i do a speed test i get
about 6.5Mb download rate with about 346kb upload, according to my
router my line attenuation for download is 42.0db ( a tad high ? )
with a noise margin of 10.6db, the upstream been a line attenuation of
26.0db with a noise margin of 14.0db. As the crow flies im 1.47Km
from the exchange but apx 2km in cable lengh, would you say this is
ok ?

Thanks
Old December 15th 07, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

systemtek wrote:

Im just wondering what peoples opinions are on test results for
example, I am on Sky 8MB package, whenever i do a speed test i get
about 6.5Mb download rate with about 346kb upload, according to my
router my line attenuation for download is 42.0db ( a tad high ? )
with a noise margin of 10.6db, the upstream been a line attenuation of
26.0db with a noise margin of 14.0db. As the crow flies im 1.47Km
from the exchange but apx 2km in cable lengh, would you say this is
ok ?

That's very good indeed considering that attenuation.

Graham

Old December 16th 07, 02:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Im just wondering what peoples opinions are on test results for
example, I am on Sky 8MB package, whenever i do a speed test i get
about 6.5Mb download rate with about 346kb upload, according to my
router my line attenuation for download is 42.0db ( a tad high ? )
with a noise margin of 10.6db

That's very good indeed considering that attenuation.

I'm on 50dB attenuation downstream, and i'm typically connecting
between around 6200 and 6800 kbps, so i'd expect to see something a
little faster on yours (i'm on Sky Max)
Old December 16th 07, 04:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Colin Wilson wrote:

Im just wondering what peoples opinions are on test results for
example, I am on Sky 8MB package, whenever i do a speed test i get
about 6.5Mb download rate with about 346kb upload, according to my
router my line attenuation for download is 42.0db ( a tad high ? )
with a noise margin of 10.6db

That's very good indeed considering that attenuation.

I'm on 50dB attenuation downstream, and i'm typically connecting
between around 6200 and 6800 kbps, so i'd expect to see something a
little faster on yours (i'm on Sky Max)

I have only ~ 30dB attenuation but 'just' make an 8128k sync rate.

Don't forget to factor in the signal to noise ratio margin.

Graham