openvox

Old December 15th 07, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news1001

Default openvox

anyone using the openvoxanalogue pci cards.

any comments ?
--
news1001
Old December 16th 07, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TheFug

news1001 schreef:
anyone using the openvoxanalogue pci cards.

any comments ?

What is a Openvoxanalog pci card ?

--
The Fug.
Old December 16th 07, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
cybuerke

"TheFug" wrote in message
. ..
news1001 schreef:
anyone using the openvoxanalogue pci cards.

any comments ?

What is a Openvoxanalog pci card ?

--
The Fug.

Plug in line connectors for Asterisk boxes. A la Digium cards.

Old December 16th 07, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TheFug

cybuerke schreef:
"TheFug" wrote in message
. ..
news1001 schreef:
anyone using the openvoxanalogue pci cards.

any comments ?

What is a Openvoxanalog pci card ?

--
The Fug.

Plug in line connectors for Asterisk boxes. A la Digium cards.

Okay, i also googled this one, should i've done in the 1st place, i
guess, noticed, you can have special Asterisk installation version for
these cards, so you don't have to re-invent the wheel
dont see a huge price advantage of these\cards.... so why should i
prefer this brand above the Digium ones, just because it says Open ?
Asterisks software is free to use also..and Digium support is a great
one,. and more populair i guess, or tell me what i am missing...?

--
The Fug.
Old December 16th 07, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
TheFug wrote:
cybuerke schreef:
"TheFug" wrote in message
. ..
news1001 schreef:
anyone using the openvoxanalogue pci cards.

any comments ?
What is a Openvoxanalog pci card ?

--
The Fug.

Plug in line connectors for Asterisk boxes. A la Digium cards.

Okay, i also googled this one, should i've done in the 1st place, i
guess, noticed, you can have special Asterisk installation version for
these cards, so you don't have to re-invent the wheel
dont see a huge price advantage of these\cards.... so why should i
prefer this brand above the Digium ones, just because it says Open ?
Asterisks software is free to use also..and Digium support is a great
one,. and more populair i guess, or tell me what i am missing...?

I've just had a quick look myself - not that I like any sort of analogue
cards if I can help it, however ... They are cheaper than Digium cards,
but oddly enough look remarkably similar and it wouldn't surprise me if
they were a chinese clone, taking the same modules as digium TDM400P
cards do ...

As for digium support - yes, it's there, and these guys support the
development of asterisk, so it might be a nice way to indirectly support
them by buying digium...

However I've had no-end of problems getting digium analogue cards to
cancel echo on some analogue lines and support, while helpful (they read
this forum by the way), didn't help me to keep a customer. They also
have weird ideas about licensing their HPEC software which I couldn't use
due to various restrictions at the site I was at (no Internet connection
for a start) I was also told that I'd need to preiodically re-tune my
TDM400P cards - maybe weekly because that's the way it is. Riiight.

What I would say is that unless you've got perfect BT lines, you'll need
some sort of echo cancellation and if you can afford it, go for a
hardware solution like Sangoma, if it's in your budget.

Gordon
Old December 17th 07, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TheFug

Gordon Henderson schreef:
In article ,
TheFug wrote:
cybuerke schreef:
"TheFug" wrote in message
. ..
news1001 schreef:
[...]

I meant the Asterisk online guides, that are available on different
sites, and the different instant disc distro's

However I've had no-end of problems getting digium analogue cards to
cancel echo on some analogue lines and support, while helpful (they read
this forum by the way), didn't help me to keep a customer. They also
have weird ideas about licensing their HPEC software which I couldn't use
due to various restrictions at the site I was at (no Internet connection
for a start) I was also told that I'd need to preiodically re-tune my
TDM400P cards - maybe weekly because that's the way it is. Riiight.

What I would say is that unless you've got perfect BT lines, you'll need
some sort of echo cancellation and if you can afford it, go for a
hardware solution like Sangoma, if it's in your budget.

Gordon

Are you saying, all these problems don't exsist on the OpenVox cards ?
I was thinking buying the Digium card, with with one red and one green
module, to setup a Asterisk server, use normal phones, and my existing
landline, so..with the Digium, i need a hardware echo canceling solution
? i live in the Netherlands, using KPN for landline (cheapest landline
sub.because i need the wire..)

--
The Fug.
Old December 17th 07, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
TheFug wrote:
Gordon Henderson schreef:
In article ,
TheFug wrote:
cybuerke schreef:
"TheFug" wrote in message
. ..
news1001 schreef:
[...]

No.

Echo problems will exist on ALL analogue cards. (And some ISDN cards
too) How bad the echo is, depends on how "bad" the BT (or telewest,
etc.) line is. I was convinced one problem I had was caused by some BT
numpty using one wire from adjacent pairs from a street cab. to the
premises, but couldn't do anything about it. Plug in a 1.99 analogue
phone and it worked brilliantly. Plug in a TDM400P card and I got echo
echo echo. I tried 2 cards and a selection of modules. I tried all the
echo cancellation tuning I could get my hands on, even bought their High
Preformance echo canceller, and it still wouldn't get rid of it.

I was thinking buying the Digium card, with with one red and one green
module, to setup a Asterisk server, use normal phones, and my existing
landline, so..with the Digium, i need a hardware echo canceling solution
? i live in the Netherlands, using KPN for landline (cheapest landline
sub.because i need the wire..)

If you only want to do a quick test, you might want to try an X100P card
if you can get it.. They sell on eBay for about a tenner.... That won't
let you hook up your existing analogue phones, but maybe a cheap ATA
would be the answer to that...

Eg.:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ATCOM-AX-100P-For...QQcmdZViewItem

Or eBay item No. 130183547495 if that URL doesn't work for you.

Gordon
Old December 19th 07, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TheFug

Gordon Henderson schreef:

If you only want to do a quick test, you might want to try an X100P card
if you can get it.. They sell on eBay for about a tenner.... That won't
let you hook up your existing analogue phones, but maybe a cheap ATA
would be the answer to that...

I already have a SPA3102, i just want to place an old pc, with Asterisk,
and a firewall somewhere in a utility "closet", and connect the network
through a gigabit switch with it...

Gordon

--
The Fug.
Old December 19th 07, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TheFug

Gordon Henderson schreef:
Echo problems will exist on ALL analogue cards. (And some ISDN cards
too) How bad the echo is, depends on how "bad" the BT (or telewest,
etc.) line is. I was convinced one problem I had was caused by some BT
numpty using one wire from adjacent pairs from a street cab. to the
premises, but couldn't do anything about it. Plug in a 1.99 analogue
phone and it worked brilliantly. Plug in a TDM400P card and I got echo
echo echo. I tried 2 cards and a selection of modules. I tried all the

Gordon

And this isn't internal feedback ? because somehow input and output are
fed into each other ?

--
The Fug.
Old December 19th 07, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
TheFug wrote:
Gordon Henderson schreef:

If you only want to do a quick test, you might want to try an X100P card
if you can get it.. They sell on eBay for about a tenner.... That won't
let you hook up your existing analogue phones, but maybe a cheap ATA
would be the answer to that...

I already have a SPA3102, i just want to place an old pc, with Asterisk,
and a firewall somewhere in a utility "closet", and connect the network
through a gigabit switch with it...

An X100P is a PCI card for Asterisk to let it connect to a single phone
line. It'a a cheap way to get started than spend the money on a TDM400P
card (or clone)

Gordon