Onetel e mail server down since Sat 15/12/07

Old December 16th 07, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Default Onetel e mail server down since Sat 15/12/07

Once again onetel customers cannot d/load any e mails; probably same
for talktalk too.

It's appalling that network status page on web site shows e mail is
"active & responding";
rubbish Mr Dunstone.

http://www.onetel.co.uk/index.php?no...network-status
Old December 16th 07, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

In news:
- Gel
wrote :
Once again onetel customers cannot d/load any e mails; probably same
for talktalk too.

It's appalling that network status page on web site shows e mail is
"active & responding";
rubbish Mr Dunstone.

http://www.onetel.co.uk/index.php?no...network-status

maybe worth a read - move email away from your isp.
http://www.dn-22.co.uk/mail.html

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk
Superb hosting & domain name deals http://host.kick-butt.co.uk

Old December 16th 07, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 10:44:11 -0000, Joker7 wrote:

In news:
- Gel
wrote :
Once again onetel customers cannot d/load any e mails; probably same
for talktalk too.

It's appalling that network status page on web site shows e mail is
"active & responding";
rubbish Mr Dunstone.

http://www.onetel.co.uk/index.php?no...network-status

maybe worth a read - move email away from your isp.
http://www.dn-22.co.uk/mail.html

Chris

I considered this sort of option, but as my club's web-hosting had to be
changed twice in about 3 years, due to the companies going bust, is there
any advantage?

Not sure that I like the idea of web-based e-mail, e.g. Google.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Old December 16th 07, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cybuerke

Not sure that I like the idea of web-based e-mail, e.g. Google.
--
Peter.

I don't like it either, but Googlemail can be POP3'd easily enough, I use
it for my domain mail forwarding as well, and it's worked a treat since the
outset.

Old December 16th 07, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:33:43 -0000, cybuerke wrote:

Not sure that I like the idea of web-based e-mail, e.g. Google.
--
Peter.

I don't like it either, but Googlemail can be POP3'd easily enough, I use
it for my domain mail forwarding as well, and it's worked a treat since the
outset.

Ah, POP3, thanks.
Google seems to need cookies all the while; Yahoo needs a cookie for its
own use (fair enough) but not for other sites (easy to set up in Opera) and
seems to have a better privacy policy than does Google.

Any one have opinions on either, please?

These alternatives to ISPs could be useful to many people.
Old December 16th 07, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

-
Gel wrote :
Once again onetel customers cannot d/load any e mails; probably
same for talktalk too.

It's appalling that network status page on web site shows e mail
is "active & responding";
rubbish Mr Dunstone.

http://www.onetel.co.uk/index.php?no...network-status

maybe worth a read - move email away from your isp.
http://www.dn-22.co.uk/mail.html

Chris

I considered this sort of option, but as my club's web-hosting had
to be changed twice in about 3 years, due to the companies going
bust, is there any advantage?

Not sure that I like the idea of web-based e-mail, e.g. Google.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.

Sounds as if you had some poor choices with you hosting - I don't like the
security issues with Google,but like most thing there are issues with
security.

Chris

Old December 16th 07, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 17:28:41 -0000, Joker7 wrote:

I considered this sort of option, but as my club's web-hosting had
to be changed twice in about 3 years, due to the companies going
bust, is there any advantage?

Not sure that I like the idea of web-based e-mail, e.g. Google.
--
Peter.

Sounds as if you had some poor choices with you hosting -

Yes - we realised that afterwards:-~

I don't like the
security issues with Google,but like most thing there are issues with
security.

Too true!
Old December 17th 07, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
/Tx2

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 10:44:11 -0000 Joker7
from the village of
felt we might be interested in the following...

maybe worth a read

....or not!

http://www.dn-22.co.uk

They can't even spell "welcome" correctly.

"Alternatively, if you are based in Local, why not pop in"...

Anyone know where "Local" is?

"Who's hosting packages"? Whois maybe :-)

"Many people have attempt to self-build their own website"?

To have, or have not...

Lastly (I could go on) I couldn't help noticing this site (which is
itself selling its own web hosting et al) is using Google Ads to
effectively sell competing services. How ****ed up is that!?!

DEFINITELY a provider to avoid. If they can't set their own web site up
correctly, 'gawd' knows how they treat customer data.

Joker7 - at least peddle services that aren't going to ruin your
reputation!

Personally, I'd use no-one else but 1&1 for my email - absolutely
faultless to date IME.

--
My reply address is valid, but incoming mail is set to 'auto-delete'
so will not be seen. Please post replies to the group.
Old December 19th 07, 01:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

I look after 14 email addresses on 8 different ISP's / email providers.
The only one that periodically has outages if OneTel !
It's been doing it for years. Why can't Talk Talk sort them out ?
Regards,
Martin