Talk Talk, are they any good?

Old December 18th 07, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
That Man!

Default Talk Talk, are they any good?

My ADSL max contract with Virgin broadband is due for renewal shortly.
Because of the appalling customer services experiences I have had with
Virgin, I'm looking around for another provider.

Being on the Slaithwaite (Huddersfield) exchange I'm very limited as only
Virgin and Talk Talk have LLU's in this exchange apparently??

Has anyone any ideas please?

Brian (Huddersfield)

Old December 18th 07, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

"That Man!" wrote in message
My ADSL max contract with Virgin broadband is due for renewal shortly.
Because of the appalling customer services experiences I have had with
Virgin, I'm looking around for another provider.

Being on the Slaithwaite (Huddersfield) exchange I'm very limited as only
Virgin and Talk Talk have LLU's in this exchange apparently??

Has anyone any ideas please?

Brian (Huddersfield)

NO!

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php#

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...Board=talktalk

Old December 18th 07, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"That Man!" wrote in message
My ADSL max contract with Virgin broadband is due for renewal shortly.
Because of the appalling customer services experiences I have had with
Virgin, I'm looking around for another provider.

Being on the Slaithwaite (Huddersfield) exchange I'm very limited as only
Virgin and Talk Talk have LLU's in this exchange apparently??

Has anyone any ideas please?

Why limit yourself to LLU ISPs?

Old December 18th 07, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Cliffe

That Man! wrote:
My ADSL max contract with Virgin broadband is due for renewal shortly.
Because of the appalling customer services experiences I have had with
Virgin, I'm looking around for another provider.

Being on the Slaithwaite (Huddersfield) exchange I'm very limited as
only Virgin and Talk Talk have LLU's in this exchange apparently??

Has anyone any ideas please?

That's not "very limited", that's "lots of choice". As well as those two,
you have all the others who use BT provided lines. Many people don't get
any LLU options.

As for TalkTalk, just read the press and the back-postings here. Personally
wouldn't touch with very long pole.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old December 18th 07, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

"That Man!" wrote:

My ADSL max contract with Virgin broadband is due for renewal shortly.
Because of the appalling customer services experiences I have had with
Virgin, I'm looking around for another provider.

TalkTalk might conceivably be even worse than Virgin. Difficult I know but

Graham

Old December 18th 07, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

"That Man!" wrote:

My ADSL max contract with Virgin broadband is due for renewal shortly.

How much were you paying ? How much are you prepared to pay ? What are your
requirements ?

Let's see it we can't find you an ISP that actually delivers.

Graham

Old December 18th 07, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
That Man!

"Eeyore" wrote in message

"That Man!" wrote:

My ADSL max contract with Virgin broadband is due for renewal shortly.

How much were you paying ? How much are you prepared to pay ? What are
your
requirements ?

Let's see it we can't find you an ISP that actually delivers.

Graham

================================================== ====================================

Hello again

I know little about all this as you have probably guessed. I was told that
if a certain company had their LLU? in an exchange, you could use them for
broadband ADSL max!

This came about when I explored the possibility of using Sky broadband, then
BE? Neither had LLU on my exchange and could not use them, that's where that
idea came from!

I currently pay 14.99 month for Virgin ADSL max, an absolute bargain, this
would be true except in peak times on occasions, I cannot surf, the speeds
drop to such a low level it becomes unusable (and extremely frustrating)

I not sure what I would be prepared to pay, maybe up to 20 month and not
bothered about 'free' telephone calls etc., etc.,

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian (Huddersfield)

Old December 18th 07, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

"That Man!" wrote in message

"Eeyore" wrote in message

"That Man!" wrote:

[...]

more info needed. what type of web use do you need, do you need binary
newsgroups or is text ok, do you download, if so, how much and how (ftp,
http, p2p etc)....

without more info my suggestions are idnet or an entanet reseller (vivaciti
(which i use), adsl24 etc.) both offer good service and support, depends
upon your needs as to which is best, prices for each start at about
16/month

Old December 18th 07, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"That Man!" wrote in message

"Eeyore" wrote in message

"That Man!" wrote:

[...]

ADSL Max is the standard BT Wholesale product (non-LLU) which gives a
theoretical "up to" 8 Meg (but a lot less than that the further you are from
the exchange).
This is provided by very many ISPs and is to be considered the norm. So,
your exchange will without doubt be equipped with ADSL Max and you could go
to virtually any ISP and get such a service from them. Check price, customer
service, reliability, etc. before you choose. Have a look at comparisons on
sites like www.thinkbroadband.com
LLU is the exception, only provided in certain exchange areas by a small
number of ISPs.
Be use ADSL2 Plus (I think it's called) - a much faster product, but which
is only available in a few large towns and cities at the moment.
But to answer your original question, I wouldn't touch Talk Talk judging by
the reports on this newsgroup!

George

Old December 18th 07, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:46:35 GMT, "That Man!"
wrote:

My ADSL max contract with Virgin broadband is due for renewal shortly.
Because of the appalling customer services experiences I have had with
Virgin, I'm looking around for another provider.

Being on the Slaithwaite (Huddersfield) exchange I'm very limited as only
Virgin and Talk Talk have LLU's in this exchange apparently??

Has anyone any ideas please?

Brian (Huddersfield)

I hesitate to recommend them because of the horror stories I've read
but I can't complain for the price.
I signed with them about 3 months ago and it's worked pretty well so
far. I've had 2 days where the broadband was off for a couple of hours
and 1 day where both broadband AND phone were down for a few hours.

However, I did have the option of Virgin/NTL(!) if they'd turned out
to be rubbish.
If you're switching from another ISP they don't seem to bother
following the 'MAC transfer' process.
I saw another post where someones old ISP kept charging because TT
didn't do something.

HTH