default gateway question

Old December 19th 07, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
strangelove

Default default gateway question

Hi,

I noticed that my router's default gateway is 192.168.0.1 - that's ok i
understand about ip's reserved for lans. However the router says in its
setup that I have another default gateway which is my IP with the last
octet as 1 ie a.b.c.1 where my ip is a.b.c.d

Ok, what's the point of this one?

thanks.

Old December 19th 07, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
strangelove

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:26:32 +0000, strangelove wrote:

Hi,

I noticed that my router's default gateway is 192.168.0.1 - that's ok i
understand about ip's reserved for lans. However the router says in its
setup that I have another default gateway which is my IP with the last
octet as 1 ie a.b.c.1 where my ip is a.b.c.d

Ok, what's the point of this one?

thanks.

BY IP I mean my router's WAN IP.

Old December 19th 07, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"strangelove" wrote in message

Hi,

I noticed that my router's default gateway is 192.168.0.1 - that's ok i
understand about ip's reserved for lans. However the router says in its
setup that I have another default gateway which is my IP with the last
octet as 1 ie a.b.c.1 where my ip is a.b.c.d

Ok, what's the point of this one?

There are two quite separate networks, and the function of your router is to
join them together.

On the "inside" of your router, your Local Area Network (LAN) comprises a
port on the router, and the various computers you have connected to the
router. In the router a function called the DHCP server issues IP addresses
to the computers on the LAN. The IP address of the router is fixed in its
setup screen. The DHCP server issues several paramaters to the requesting
computer, amongst which a

1) the IP address for that computer
2) the IP address that the computer must use as its "default gateway". This
is the address that the computer uses when it recognises that it needs to
send a packet to another computer not on the Local Network. This is the IP
address of the router.

On the "outside" of your router, the Wide Area Network (WAN) comprises
another port on the router and the connection to your ISP. (Logically
speaking) at your ISP there is another DHCP server. It responds to your
router by issuing it with an IP address, and a default gateway on the ISP's
network. Your router therefore sends packets addressed to other computers
not on the WAN to this default gateway, where in turn another (more
sophisticated) router works out how to forward your packet to the correct
destination. Google for a more detailed and accurate description of theis
process.

The job of your router is to forward packets arriving on its internal LAN
port (from a local computer) across itself and out of the WAN port. This is
what the word "route" means. The router also keeps details of the recently
forwarded packets. When incoming packets arrive at the WAN port, the router
checks that they are legitimate responses to outgoing packets and forwards
them to the computer on the LAN which made the original request. In this
the router functions as a simple firewall: it only allows in packets which
are legitimate responses to outgoing traffic.

--
Graham J

Old December 19th 07, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
strangelove

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:09:45 +0000, Graham J wrote:

Now answer my question instead of cutting and pasting bollox. And remember
I am familiar with lans and the use of internal IP's.

Old December 19th 07, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

strangelove wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:09:45 +0000, Graham J wrote:

Now answer my question instead of cutting and pasting bollox. And remember
I am familiar with lans and the use of internal IP's.

In that case you should know the answer.

PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. All mail is reported as spam.
to be removed from a computer easily."
Old December 19th 07, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kris

strangelove writes:

Now answer my question instead of cutting and pasting bollox. And remember
I am familiar with lans and the use of internal IP's.

Your PC(s) needs to know where to send packets outside of your local IP
address range - presumably destined to the Internet, so this is your
router. Default gateway on your PC is therefore 192.168.0.1.

Your router needs to know where to send packets outside of your local IP
address range. The default gateway is your public IP with .1 (but not
necessarily .1) in place of the final number.
Old December 19th 07, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steveybar

"strangelove" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:09:45 +0000, Graham J wrote:

Now answer my question instead of cutting and pasting bollox. And remember
I am familiar with lans and the use of internal IP's.

What a rude, ungrateful prat you are.

Old December 19th 07, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"strangelove" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:09:45 +0000, Graham J wrote:

Now answer my question instead of cutting and pasting bollox. And remember
I am familiar with lans and the use of internal IP's.

Then you will know the answer. Why don't you google it instead of flaming
the person who tried to help you.

Old December 19th 07, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

strangelove wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:26:32 +0000, strangelove wrote:

Hi,

I noticed that my router's default gateway is 192.168.0.1 - that's ok i
understand about ip's reserved for lans. However the router says in its
setup that I have another default gateway which is my IP with the last
octet as 1 ie a.b.c.1 where my ip is a.b.c.d

Ok, what's the point of this one?

thanks.

BY IP I mean my router's WAN IP.

Every networkable device on te internet has to know a route to here it
wants to send data. That changes according to where it is.

Your local net forwards all (non local) stuff to 192.168.0.1,because
that is your router.,

Your router howeever,needs to forward all its non localt stuff not to
itself, but up the line to your ISP. So IT has a default route pointing
there.

Once inside the ISP, the routers there will in all probability run OSPF
which they will use to carry routing tables around inside the network,
and then probably have one or more default routes to other ISPs via one
or more boundary routers that WILL carry full internet wide routing
tables and use BGP to interface to other ISPS.

Thank your starts you don't have to know anything about all that, and
have only two default routes to worry about..

Old December 19th 07, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:33:33 UTC, strangelove
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:09:45 +0000, Graham J wrote:

Now answer my question instead of cutting and pasting bollox. And remember
I am familiar with lans and the use of internal IP's.

Then do it yourself instead of being objectionable.

euthanasia recommended. ]