Is there a utility to measure wi-fi usage?

Old December 19th 07, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IMOGEN

Default Is there a utility to measure wi-fi usage?

Hi folks. I'm using a D-LINK DSL-G624T router, connected via ethernet
to my pc, and I've set up a secure wi-fi network, so that my neighbour
can access the net. I've currently got a 5 GB cap, and I'd like to be
able to say to my neighbour "This is how much I've downloaded, this is
your portion", so we can split the cost accordingly.

I contacted madasafish, who supplied the router, but they said there
wasn't an option in the routers firmware for it to monitor the wi-fi
throughput. Does anybody know different? Is what I want to do
possible? On the madasafish site, I can see the total throughput each
month, so maybe I just need a util which will monitor my throughput,
so I can subtract that from the total etc Can anybody reccomend such a
util?

Thanks, from Imogen.
Old December 19th 07, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

IMOGEN wrote:
Hi folks. I'm using a D-LINK DSL-G624T router, connected via ethernet
to my pc, and I've set up a secure wi-fi network, so that my neighbour
can access the net. I've currently got a 5 GB cap, and I'd like to be
able to say to my neighbour "This is how much I've downloaded, this is
your portion", so we can split the cost accordingly.

I contacted madasafish, who supplied the router, but they said there
wasn't an option in the routers firmware for it to monitor the wi-fi
throughput. Does anybody know different? Is what I want to do
possible? On the madasafish site, I can see the total throughput each
month, so maybe I just need a util which will monitor my throughput,
so I can subtract that from the total etc Can anybody reccomend such a
util?

For the amount of money involved why not just split the costs 50-50? In any
case are you sure that you are allowed to resell your usage? Most consumer
ISP contracts prohibit it.

Peter Crosland

Old December 19th 07, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
IMOGEN wrote:
[...]

As Peter says, legally, you're probably not allowed to do it, but in reality
they won't know about it unless you tell them - and I'm surprised that they
didn't kick up a fuss when you contacted them. The other thing is if
anything goes wrong with the connection and you have to contact their
helpdesk - if you tell them the set-up, they'll either say you can't do that
as it's illegal, or if the don't make a fuss about the legalities, they'll
say they can't help sort out your problem because that set-up isn't
supported.

Commonsense-wise, just don't tell your ISP (again) and just split it 50-50.
I do it with my neighbour but as she is 84 and he is 79, I refuse to take
any money off them - I'm just so impressed that people of that age want to
be on the internet )

John

Old December 19th 07, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/

Old December 19th 07, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:55:30 +0000, IMOGEN wrote:

Hi folks. I'm using a D-LINK DSL-G624T router, connected via ethernet to
my pc, and I've set up a secure wi-fi network, so that my neighbour can
access the net. I've currently got a 5 GB cap, and I'd like to be able
to say to my neighbour "This is how much I've downloaded, this is your
portion", so we can split the cost accordingly.

One possibility is SNMP; if only she ever uses the wireless, and the
router breaks out stats for the wired and wireless interfaces, you'll be
able to work out how much she uses. However, this isn't something the
router can do on its own; getting it to work will require the router
being polled by an external device that collects the stats and presents
them to you in a form you can make sense of.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
10:40:28 up 37 days, 23:20, 2 users, load average: 0.25, 0.13, 0.10
Old December 20th 07, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gio

"IMOGEN" wrote in message
news
Hi folks. I'm using a D-LINK DSL-G624T router, connected via ethernet
to my pc, and I've set up a secure wi-fi network, so that my neighbour
can access the net. I've currently got a 5 GB cap, and I'd like to be
able to say to my neighbour "This is how much I've downloaded, this is
your portion", so we can split the cost accordingly.

I contacted madasafish, who supplied the router, but they said there
wasn't an option in the routers firmware for it to monitor the wi-fi
throughput. Does anybody know different? Is what I want to do
possible? On the madasafish site, I can see the total throughput each
month, so maybe I just need a util which will monitor my throughput,
so I can subtract that from the total etc Can anybody reccomend such a
util?

Thanks, from Imogen.

I am with Madasafish too and was given the same router but as you say there
is not the facility to log split traffic. I have installed the free prog
http://codebox.no-ip.net/controller?page=bitmeter2 onto each of our pc's and
laptops. It keeps a record of total data flow and is reliable. Just
remember your 5gb limit per month is for upload and downloads. Do not just
think it is a 5Gb limit for download !

Gio

Old December 20th 07, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JamesB

"John" wrote in message
Commonsense-wise, just don't tell your ISP (again) and just split it
50-50. I do it with my neighbour but as she is 84 and he is 79, I refuse
to take any money off them - I'm just so impressed that people of that age
want to be on the internet )

You're brave, these silver-survers are heavy torrent downloaders you know...

Old December 20th 07, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , JamesB
writes

"John" wrote in message
Commonsense-wise, just don't tell your ISP (again) and just split it
50-50. I do it with my neighbour but as she is 84 and he is 79, I
refuse to take any money off them - I'm just so impressed that people
of that age want to be on the internet )

You're brave, these silver-survers are heavy torrent downloaders you
know...

Swingers on webchat....
--
Clint Sharp