ADSL via telephone extension socket

Old December 19th 07, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default ADSL via telephone extension socket

My in-laws have broadband through talk-talk. They're getting poor
performance and the talk-talk "support" says this is because their
ADSL modem is connected to an extension rather than the master socket.

Is this likely to be the cause? Can I do anything about it (short of
moving the modem to the master socket and running cat5 back up to the
computer?

Thanks - Adam...
Old December 20th 07, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message
,
wrote
My in-laws have broadband through talk-talk. They're getting poor
performance and the talk-talk "support" says this is because their
ADSL modem is connected to an extension rather than the master socket.

Is this likely to be the cause? Can I do anything about it (short of
moving the modem to the master socket and running cat5 back up to the
computer?

The first thing to try is to plug the modem/router into the master
socket with nothing else connected. This may require the front plate of
the master socket being removed and plugging into the socket behind the
face-plate. If this dramatically improves performance then the problem
is in house otherwise talk-talk are taking rubbish.

Removing the ring (bell) wire from the extensions may help if the
problem is in house.
http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2005_08_...l_archive.html
and
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.co...read/thread/a0
c096eb6392f0ff/50fc5a486e232b12?lnk=st&q=adsl+ring+wire&rnum=2#50 fc5a486e
232b12

Another solution would be to fit a filtered face-plate to the master
socket and run the wire back to the modem/router.

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php
http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm
http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old December 20th 07, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

wrote in message
My in-laws have broadband through talk-talk. They're getting poor
performance and the talk-talk "support" says this is because their
ADSL modem is connected to an extension rather than the master socket.

Is this likely to be the cause? Can I do anything about it (short of
moving the modem to the master socket and running cat5 back up to the
computer?

That is the only way that I can get a reliable connection in my house. But I
have a 6km, 60db loss telephone line.
I connect my router to the internal socket in the master socket. It is
important to connected any extension wiring via a microfilter at the master
socket (or use a filtered facplate).

However, what do you mean by poor performance? Do you mean the line keeps
failing (as mine did) or that the download speed is poor in which case you
should run some of the speed tests, including the BT one. - Or is the ADSL
sync speed less than you would expect?

--
Michael Chare

Old December 20th 07, 01:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

wrote in message
My in-laws have broadband through talk-talk. They're getting poor
performance and the talk-talk "support" says this is because their
ADSL modem is connected to an extension rather than the master socket.

Is this likely to be the cause? Can I do anything about it (short of
moving the modem to the master socket and running cat5 back up to the
computer?

Thanks - Adam...

No, poor performance is cause by using a poor ISP. I am sure you will find
no difference between sockets if you have no problems with the phones.
Support read from a script with standard answers, hardly any can talk
computer!

Old December 20th 07, 01:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

wrote in message
My in-laws have broadband through talk-talk. They're getting poor
performance and the talk-talk "support" says this is because their
ADSL modem is connected to an extension rather than the master socket.

Is this likely to be the cause? Can I do anything about it (short of
moving the modem to the master socket and running cat5 back up to the
computer?

That is the only way that I can get a reliable connection in my house. But
I have a 6km, 60db loss telephone line.
I connect my router to the internal socket in the master socket. It is
important to connected any extension wiring via a microfilter at the
master socket (or use a filtered facplate).

No! you connect the filter between the modem and socket in use. If you run
a cable from a microfilter at the main socket to an extension socket the
phone will not work correctly. Run extensions as normal and use a filer at
each one.

Old December 20th 07, 03:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Ian wrote:

wrote

My in-laws have broadband through talk-talk. They're getting poor
performance and the talk-talk "support" says this is because their
ADSL modem is connected to an extension rather than the master socket.

Is this likely to be the cause? Can I do anything about it (short of
moving the modem to the master socket and running cat5 back up to the
computer?

Thanks - Adam...

No, poor performance is cause by using a poor ISP.

Not exclusively by any means. You are quite WRONG. Any line issues need to be
addressed first before such a comment can be made. I had things that needed to
be sorted by BT for example before my line would support 8Mbps.

Graham

Old December 20th 07, 08:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 01:28:00 UTC, "Ian"
wrote:

wrote in message
My in-laws have broadband through talk-talk. They're getting poor
performance and the talk-talk "support" says this is because their
ADSL modem is connected to an extension rather than the master socket.

Is this likely to be the cause? Can I do anything about it (short of
moving the modem to the master socket and running cat5 back up to the
computer?

No, poor performance is cause by using a poor ISP. I am sure you will find
no difference between sockets if you have no problems with the phones.
Support read from a script with standard answers, hardly any can talk
computer!

So, if someone is on a 7km line, with low ADSL speeds and phones that
have always worked, it's the ISPs' fault?

I think not.

euthanasia recommended. ]