Voip - for home use - no good if your a 24 / 7 downloader ?

Old December 19th 07, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
xmas

Default Voip - for home use - no good if your a 24 / 7 downloader ?

As you won't have any bandwidth to play with ?

i know it wont need much but if your newsgrouping it tends to grab the lot

not a voip guru so any pointers welcome

Old December 19th 07, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"xmas" wrote in message

: : As you won't have any bandwidth to play with ?
: :
: : i know it wont need much but if your newsgrouping it
: : tends to grab the lot
: :
: : not a voip guru so any pointers welcome

Maybe it's me, but I haven't got a clue what your point is.

Ivor

Old December 20th 07, 12:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Ivor Jones used his keyboard to write :
"xmas" wrote in message

: : As you won't have any bandwidth to play with ?

: : i know it wont need much but if your newsgrouping it
tends to grab the lot

: : not a voip guru so any pointers welcome

Maybe it's me, but I haven't got a clue what your point is.

It's you. You haven't read the subject line fully ;-)

Old December 20th 07, 01:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jono" wrote in message

: : Ivor Jones used his keyboard to write :
: : : "xmas" wrote in message
: : :
: : : : : As you won't have any bandwidth to play with ?
: : : : :
: : : : : i know it wont need much but if your newsgrouping
: : : : : it tends to grab the lot
: : : : :
: : : : : not a voip guru so any pointers welcome
: : :
: : : Maybe it's me, but I haven't got a clue what your
: : : point is.
: :
: : It's you. You haven't read the subject line fully ;-)

Nope, sorry, still don't get it..

Ivor

Old December 20th 07, 01:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

You need a router with built in VoIP and QoS (quality of service).
Then you just set the QoS to prioritize VoIP packets.
E.g. Draytek Vigor routers 2700V or 2800V, Zyxel 2602HW/L, or FritzBox! and
others.
Regards,
Martin

Old December 20th 07, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Martin² wrote:
You need a router with built in VoIP and QoS (quality of service).
Then you just set the QoS to prioritize VoIP packets.
E.g. Draytek Vigor routers 2700V or 2800V, Zyxel 2602HW/L, or FritzBox! and
others.

But beware about whether those boxes can do anything about downloadiing.

Tim

Old December 20th 07, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

Jono wrote:
It's you. You haven't read the subject line fully ;-)

The one that says " Voip - for home use - no good if..."?

The Subject is supposed to be a summary for the message, so that we can
decide whether (or not) to read it, not part of the message itself.

Cheers,
Chris
Old December 20th 07, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Chris Davies submitted this idea :
Jono wrote:
It's you. You haven't read the subject line fully ;-)

The one that says " Voip - for home use - no good if your a 24 / 7
downloader ?"

Yes.

The Subject is supposed to be a summary for the message, so that we can
decide whether (or not) to read it, not part of the message itself.

Nevertheless, if the subject line is read, it does make sense.

Old December 20th 07, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mattpark mattpark is offline
Junior Member

Location: Durham, United Kingdom

You need to get yourself a router with a technology called QOS - this
basically prioritises voice traffic above anything else (big files
download etc...), thus saving you from poor quality voice.

Cheers,

Matt

--
mattpark