VPN Endpoint on ADSL router.

Old December 20th 07, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

Default VPN Endpoint on ADSL router.

Any recommendations?
I'm looking for a couple of good quality routers (Don't say Draytek) to
connect two sites across a VPN so the routers need to provide a VPN
connection which will reconnect automatically if the line goes down and
comes back up. I've got a budget of around 500+VAT for the two and would
prefer something Cisco or other business class manufacturer. What's your
experience?
--
Clint Sharp
Old December 20th 07, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JamesB

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
Any recommendations?
I'm looking for a couple of good quality routers (Don't say Draytek) to
connect two sites across a VPN so the routers need to provide a VPN
connection which will reconnect automatically if the line goes down and
comes back up. I've got a budget of around 500+VAT for the two and would
prefer something Cisco or other business class manufacturer. What's your
experience?

Any reason for not wanting Draytek? We use them and they seem fine... I also
have a Billion one at home (a little cheaper than the draytek) and this has
also been very reliable. As for more expensive kit I dunno, I'm sure someone
will pop along soon with an answer tho'

Old December 20th 07, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Clint Sharp wrote:

I'm looking for a couple of good quality routers (Don't say Draytek)

Why not ?

Graham

Old December 20th 07, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Clint Sharp wrote:
Any recommendations?
I'm looking for a couple of good quality routers (Don't say Draytek)
to connect two sites across a VPN so the routers need to provide a VPN
connection which will reconnect automatically if the line goes down
and comes back up. I've got a budget of around 500+VAT for the two
and would prefer something Cisco or other business class
manufacturer. What's your experience?

With that sort of budget you can't afford Cisco unless you are prepared to
take a chance at buying second-hand with the attendant support and/or
licensing issues. Draytek are good quality business class routers in most
peoples view. They have the V suffix models on sale at the same price as the
non V variants at the moment.

Peter Crosland

Old December 20th 07, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John P

Clint Sharp wrote:
Any recommendations?
I'm looking for a couple of good quality routers (Don't say Draytek) to
connect two sites across a VPN so the routers need to provide a VPN
connection which will reconnect automatically if the line goes down and
comes back up. I've got a budget of around 500+VAT for the two and would
prefer something Cisco or other business class manufacturer. What's your
experience?

Like others I use Draytek routers for this but only have experience of
the 2600 series - they just work. I believe one of the speedtouch
routers also has VPN capability - 620 perhaps.

JP
Old December 20th 07, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , JamesB
writes
Any reason for not wanting Draytek? We use them and they seem fine...

Currently got two of them and if there's a line problem which causes
them to lose sync the VPN doesn't come back when the line does, it seems
to require a reboot. They also seem to drop the VPN for no apparent
reason and not re-establish afterwards.

Old December 20th 07, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Cliffe

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , JamesB
writes
Any reason for not wanting Draytek? We use them and they seem fine...

Currently got two of them and if there's a line problem which causes
them to lose sync the VPN doesn't come back when the line does, it
seems to require a reboot. They also seem to drop the VPN for no
apparent reason and not re-establish afterwards.

My experience of VPN's over Draytek kit was fine.
The ADSL box just worked perfectly for several years. The VPN connected "on
demand" when there was traffic for a device at the other end of the VPN
tunnel and held up for the specified "hold" period before clearing itself
cleanly.
It would reboot itself correctly if there was a power failure (O/head lines
and small rural village).

Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old December 20th 07, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor Rea

Clint Sharp wrote:
Any recommendations?
I'm looking for a couple of good quality routers (Don't say Draytek) to
connect two sites across a VPN so the routers need to provide a VPN
connection which will reconnect automatically if the line goes down and
comes back up. I've got a budget of around 500+VAT for the two and would
prefer something Cisco or other business class manufacturer. What's your
experience?

Cisco 877-k9.

223.89 ex VAT from broadbuyer.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=2272

you can probably do better than this from somewhere like
hardware.com or Comstor.

If you're not familiar with configuring Cisco routers then you
may have to contract someone to configure them for you if you
need them done quickly.

Or if you've got some time on your hands see:-

http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/800-isr-wizard.html

which should give you a basic config you can work with - it's for
New Zealand so PVC is different (0/38 instead of 0/100).

Hope this helps - if you buy one ask here and I may have a basic
config you can use (I'd have to sanitise all customer information
out of it first).

Trevor
Old December 20th 07, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Clint Sharp wrote:
Any recommendations?
I'm looking for a couple of good quality routers (Don't say Draytek) to
connect two sites across a VPN so the routers need to provide a VPN
connection which will reconnect automatically if the line goes down and
comes back up. I've got a budget of around 500+VAT for the two and would
prefer something Cisco or other business class manufacturer. What's your
experience?

I use VPN endpoints on a couple of Netgear dg834. Its only a small
network but it appears to work OK.

I've currently got a dodgy adsl connection but the VPN seems to come up
fine when it reconnects.
Old December 20th 07, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , JamesB
writes
Any reason for not wanting Draytek? We use them and they seem fine...

Currently got two of them and if there's a line problem which causes them
to lose sync the VPN doesn't come back when the line does, it seems to
require a reboot. They also seem to drop the VPN for no apparent reason
and not re-establish afterwards.

I use Draytek.

If you have a line problem which causes unreliability then you should first
get that fixed - get the help of your ISP. You might have to change to a
technically competent ISP first!!

Having said that, I have one V2600x router which maintains sync but loses
the PPP connection; which can be recovered by either unplugging /
re-plugging the phone line or resetting the router. The problem occurs
about once a fortnight. The ISP in this case is Demon so I haven't wasted
my time in explaining the problem to their Indians. I've replaced it with a
more modern V2800 router and so far the problem has not recurred.

I have explicitly tested the scenario you explain - in so far as I can by
unplugging the line or powering off a router. The VPN is always
re-established immediately.

Are you sure you have the VPN settings at both ends correct???

--
Graham J