Migrating to Plusnet

Old December 20th 07, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Migrating to Plusnet

Anybody any idea of the timescale with migrating to them please?

Old December 20th 07, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

"M" wrote in message
Anybody any idea of the timescale with migrating to them please?

Normally about 5 working days assuming co-operation from your old ISP.
Fred

Old December 20th 07, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"M" wrote in message
Anybody any idea of the timescale with migrating to them please?

Within 10 days. See:
http://www.plus.net/switch/

George

Old December 21st 07, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"George Weston" wrote in message

"M" wrote in message
Anybody any idea of the timescale with migrating to them please?

Within 10 days. See:
http://www.plus.net/switch/

George

I don't think I explained the question properly. The post office broadband
told me that it would take about 17 days to migrate to them but even when
they took over the connection it would take up to an extra 5 days to go live
and I would be without broadband for that period of time. No seamless change
over with them. Therefore I opted to go with Plusnet who told me 7 working
days before the change over. Just worried as my Virgin MAC code runs out on
the evening of the 3rd of January. There would have been no problem if the
post office had informed me when I ordered with them on the 5th of December
that they wouldn't be able to supply me with broadband before the middle of
January but now time is running out.

Old December 21st 07, 02:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

M wrote:

"George Weston" wrote
"M" wrote

Anybody any idea of the timescale with migrating to them please?

Within 10 days. See:
http://www.plus.net/switch/

I don't think I explained the question properly. The post office broadband
told me that it would take about 17 days to migrate to them but even when
they took over the connection it would take up to an extra 5 days to go live

and I would be without broadband for that period of time.

Useless idiots !

No seamless change
over with them. Therefore I opted to go with Plusnet who told me 7 working
days before the change over. Just worried as my Virgin MAC code runs out on
the evening of the 3rd of January. There would have been no problem if the
post office had informed me when I ordered with them on the 5th of December
that they wouldn't be able to supply me with broadband before the middle of
January but now time is running out.

Have you mentioned your concerns to Plusnet ?

Graham

Old December 21st 07, 03:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Just migrated a neighbour from Orange to PlusNet, took 7 days, no
significant outage.
The hardest part was getting the MAC no. out of Orange !
If you feeling generous please use my ID 'wester' as a referrer to PlusNet
and save me 25p, thanks.
regards,
Martin

Old December 21st 07, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean B

"The Simpsons" wrote:

"M" wrote in message
Anybody any idea of the timescale with migrating to them please?

Madasafish, who have excellent support and could probably speed up
your migration are being merged with Plusnet this month. (They both
belong to BT now) It might still be worth you trying Madasafish
instead of Plusnet, eventually they will all be basically the same
business, although no Madasafish subscribers want this due to the bad
reputation of Plusnet. Madasafish give you free access to Giganews,
not sure about Plusnet.

Why you want to go with Plusnet in the first place I can't understand.

Sean B

Old December 21st 07, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

M wrote:
Anybody any idea of the timescale with migrating to them please?

Takes about 7 days assuming you're on an IPStream connection with
Virgin. TBH it can be done in a day or so but our preference is to
manage things over the course of a week. There should be little/no
downtime at all and the only thing you should need to do is change your
login credentials once the switch has taken place.

Regarding Sean B's comments I can think of many a reason to choose
PlusNet over Madasafish. Ultimately it's all down to preference though.

Madasafish offer 5GB/mnth for £17.99 (£11.99 for the first 6 months).
Our Option 2 product is £14.99 and offers 8GB between 8:00am-Midnight
(Usage outside of these hours is free).

Madasafish do not have a residential account that caters for anyone
wanting to use more than 50GB/mnth.

They do have access to binary Usenet (10GB/mnth) whereas we only have a
text feed however we have other features like domain hosting, IP blocks,
CGI/SQL access, Fax-2-Email, server-side firewall, unlimited mailboxes etc.

I've really no reason to believe that MAAF's support is any better than
ours. IMO, we're both really good (We have a geographical number - 0114,
whereas MAAF have an 0844 number I believe).

MAAF's products are here if you want to take a look -
http://www.madasafish.com/broadband/

Our product features are here -
http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...=bbyw_features

Kind Rgds,

--
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old December 22nd 07, 02:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Lee

"M" wrote in message
Anybody any idea of the timescale with migrating to them please?

If I was being cynical I eould say that it couldn't be long enough !

There was a time when they were good (actually *very* good), but that was a
few years ago now.

I suggest you go to their site & read the Terms & Conditions of the Contract
& when you've done that you'll have a better idea of what you'll be letting
yourself in for.

There are much better providers out there. Compare them at:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html

Merry Xmas.

--
Joe Lee

Old December 22nd 07, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Joe Lee" [email protected] wrote in message

"M" wrote in message
Anybody any idea of the timescale with migrating to them please?

If I was being cynical I eould say that it couldn't be long enough !

There was a time when they were good (actually *very* good), but that was
a few years ago now.

I suggest you go to their site & read the Terms & Conditions of the
Contract & when you've done that you'll have a better idea of what you'll
be letting yourself in for.

There are much better providers out there. Compare them at:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html

Merry Xmas.

--
Joe Lee

I joined Plusnet when they were *very* good and then experienced the whole
sorry saga of declining service standards, email outages, insufficient BT
centrals and so on, during the period before they sacked a couple of
directors and BT bought them out.
I'm pleased to say that they have now pulled their socks up and are pretty
good again now, apart from their new tariff structure, which includes all
manner of traffic-shaping systems, dependant upon the tariff chosen.
I'm OK with this because I stayed on their old, non-throttled PAYG tariff.
However, I might think twice if I were a new customer.
Having said this, they do offer many facilities that "consumer" ISPs don't,
i.e. SQL, CGI, anti-virus, software firewall, online usage-checker, etc.,
and their customer service is now back to where it was in my view. And based
in the UK with no premium rate contact number. Believe me, after having
experienced BT Broadband's Indian call-centre, I don't ever want to go back
to an ISP that uses non-UK-based staff.

George