TalkTalk - change users home phone number?

Old December 20th 07, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

Default TalkTalk - change users home phone number?

Have returned home after helping someone connect TalkTalk Broadband.
She had previously been unable to complete the set-up so the first
thing I did was make sure her phone line worked. Got dialing tone and
phoned my home phone number to ensure the line was working.

After everything was working I got home and checked for messages. A
phone number was given which matched the time I phoned but was
different from the womans regular number. I phoned it and she
answered. She told me she had not received some expected calls during
the day so I suggested that her phone number had been changed.

In her own mind she is certain she told TalkTalk that she wanted to
retain her old number.

At the moment I have left it with her to resolve but wondered if
anyone had an insight about what may have happened.

km
Old December 20th 07, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

km wrote:

Have returned home after helping someone connect TalkTalk Broadband.
She had previously been unable to complete the set-up so the first
thing I did was make sure her phone line worked. Got dialing tone and
phoned my home phone number to ensure the line was working.

After everything was working I got home and checked for messages. A
phone number was given which matched the time I phoned but was
different from the womans regular number. I phoned it and she
answered. She told me she had not received some expected calls during
the day so I suggested that her phone number had been changed.

In her own mind she is certain she told TalkTalk that she wanted to
retain her old number.

At the moment I have left it with her to resolve but wondered if
anyone had an insight about what may have happened.

TalkTalk are idiots ?

Graham

Old December 21st 07, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Eeyore" wrote in message

km wrote:

[...]

Or maybe the customer asked for something or agreed to something. Calls to
them are taped in the event of a complaint. If she is so sure she would
complain. The number change business has nothing to do with her inability
to use a computer or understand how to follow on screen prompts. It might
have been done to get around a delay caused by removing a broadband marker
on the existing line.
Talk Talk will know. I'm amazed at how many people expect newsgroup readers
to know the details of personal calls and orders between people and
companies.

Old December 21st 07, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 09:04:16 -0000, "Ian"
wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

km wrote:

[...]

Follow up.

TalkTalk deny responsibility. Their first reaction was to tell her
that the error must have been caused by her equipment! To correct may
incur charge of 140. She is now waiting for further response which
could take up to 48 hours.

'm amazed at how many people expect newsgroup readers
to know the details of personal calls and orders between people and
companies.

What a strange reaction to the query. Surely a sharing of experience
is what Newsgroups is all about. Why would you assume that the
question depended on how a conversation went? Anyone who had gone
through something similar could give some guidance.

It really riles me when your sort of non-helpful contribution clutters
up threads.

km
Old December 21st 07, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:41:26 +0000, Owain
wrote:

km wrote:
After everything was working I got home and checked for messages. A
phone number was given which matched the time I phoned but was
different from the womans regular number. I phoned it and she
answered. She told me she had not received some expected calls during
the day so I suggested that her phone number had been changed.

A cable jointer somewhere has got the wires crossed? If you try phoning
her 'old' number do you get someone else?

Owain

When I tried her old number yesterday there was a ringing tone and
eventually the voice came on to leave a message. She did not hear it
ring nor could she retreive the message because her phone was now a
different number.

I have just tried the number again and got the ringing tone but no
voice message. There was no answer. I don't know whether that is
because she isn't in or because the line has been reset without the
"leave message" service or because it is still superceded by the
replacement number.

As I typed this reply I decided to phone the "new" number and got a
response from an entirely different person. This was the correct user
of the number. She had received a number of calls from my contacts
friends and was aware that something had gone wrong but was now
corrected.

She is a TalkTalk customer and when she contacted them yesterday their
opening line was its not our fault and if an engineer comes to sort it
out you will be charged. The error seems to have now been miraculously
corrected with no explanation.

Wrong plug/switch by TalkTalk staff? As I don't know the workings at
their end I can only guess. They don't do themselves any favours by
diving in with "It's not our fault so it must be yours and it will
cost you"

km
Old December 21st 07, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

km wrote:

Owain wrote:
km wrote:

[...]

How kind of them !

The error seems to have now been miraculously
corrected with no explanation.

Wrong plug/switch by TalkTalk staff? As I don't know the workings at
their end I can only guess. They don't do themselves any favours by
diving in with "It's not our fault so it must be yours and it will
cost you"

As I said in another post, TalkTalk are idiots.

Graham

Old December 21st 07, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:29:10 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

km wrote:

Owain wrote:
km wrote:

[...]

You can picture the bosses tellling traing teams "Whatever you do
don't accept that we could get it wrong" ram that down the Staff's
throats.

km
Old December 21st 07, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

wrote:

km wrote:

Owain wrote:
km wrote:

[...]

You can picture the bosses telling training teams "Whatever you do

Old December 22nd 07, 02:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor

On 20 Dec, 19:32, km wrote:
Have returned home after helping someone connect TalkTalk Broadband.
She had previously been unable to complete the set-up so the first
thing I did was make sure her phone line worked. Got dialing tone and
phoned my home phone number to ensure the line was working.

After everything was working I got home and checked for messages. A
phone number was given which matched the time I phoned but was
different from the womans regular number. I phoned it and she
answered. She told me she had not received some expected calls during
the day so I suggested that her phone number had been changed.

In her own mind she is certain she told TalkTalk that she wanted to
retain her old number.

At the moment I have left it with her to resolve but wondered if
anyone had an insight about what may have happened.

km

Her Talktalk broadband username will be her phone number followed by
@talktalk.net. So if her present number is different from the one in
her username then that may be the reason she cannot connect to
broadband. If it is different then only Talktalk will know why. I hope
you can speak Hindi
Trevor Smith
Old December 22nd 07, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 18:20:17 -0800 (PST), Trevor
wrote:

On 20 Dec, 19:32, km wrote:
[...]

That added to the confusion. Broadband connection went through OK (she
had problems because of a Firewall not allowing access even though she
followed the CD instructions, that was why she called me) there was a
problem in establishing an e-mail address at the time and with
hindsight I believe it was because we were using the line with the
wrong number.

km