Another "Which router" Q

Old December 21st 07, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Another "Which router" Q

My Linksys WAG54GS ADSL modem/router has died on the wireless side so has to
be replaced. I'm on BT Total Broadband option 3 (and don't want to use the
horrible BT HomeHub that they supplied) and I need QoS functionality, so
what router would you guru's recommend to replace it?

Cheers

John

Old December 21st 07, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"John" wrote in message
My Linksys WAG54GS ADSL modem/router has died on the wireless side so has
to be replaced. I'm on BT Total Broadband option 3 (and don't want to use
the horrible BT HomeHub that they supplied) and I need QoS functionality,
so what router would you guru's recommend to replace it?

Cheers

John

For around 49 from PC World you can get a Netgear DG834 (with extra USB
adaptor) for ADSL. That has QOS built in and regular updates on the site.
It's up to v4 now, so make sure you get the very latest version.
Handles upnp perfectly and doesn't crash when you use P2P programs. Unless
you are streaming video between loads of computers, constantly exchanging
files and run lots of computers at the same time, it will be perfectly OK.
Usual features including SPI firewall, remote access, scheduling, blocking
and it can email you to tell you when someone attacks it!
It's not the latest "N" type, but does WPA-PSK and WPA2 security. It's more
than enough for a normal broadband connection. I use a laptop, desktop and
internet radio without any reduction in performance. There is no real
advantage to the new "N" type routers, 54b/g is more than enough.
If you were to get an old DLINK G604T you can flash it to the latest G624T
firmware.
Make sure you are using WPA-PSK for the security. There are many routers
about, it just depends which key features you want. I have never had a
Netgear go wrong, although I have sent a few DLINK back as they have no UK
support now.

Old December 21st 07, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Ian wrote:
"John" wrote in message
My Linksys WAG54GS ADSL modem/router has died on the wireless side so has
to be replaced. I'm on BT Total Broadband option 3 (and don't want to use
the horrible BT HomeHub that they supplied) and I need QoS functionality,
so what router would you guru's recommend to replace it?

Cheers

John

For around 49 from PC World you can get a Netgear DG834 (with extra USB
adaptor) for ADSL. That has QOS built in and regular updates on the site.

When did the DG834 get QoS? I can't find any reference to it.

It's up to v4 now, so make sure you get the very latest version.
Handles upnp perfectly and doesn't crash when you use P2P programs. Unless
you are streaming video between loads of computers, constantly exchanging
files and run lots of computers at the same time, it will be perfectly OK.
Usual features including SPI firewall, remote access, scheduling, blocking
and it can email you to tell you when someone attacks it!
It's not the latest "N" type, but does WPA-PSK and WPA2 security. It's more
than enough for a normal broadband connection. I use a laptop, desktop and
internet radio without any reduction in performance. There is no real
advantage to the new "N" type routers, 54b/g is more than enough.

There are some advantages to the N. I just bought one so that I can
adjust the negotiated SNR on a dodgy ADSL connection. However I was well
p#ss*d off when I realised it didn't have the VPN endpoint capability.

Old December 21st 07, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message , Ian
wrote

"John" wrote in message
My Linksys WAG54GS ADSL modem/router has died on the wireless side so has
to be replaced. I'm on BT Total Broadband option 3 (and don't want to use
the horrible BT HomeHub that they supplied) and I need QoS functionality,
so what router would you guru's recommend to replace it?

Cheers

John

For around 49 from PC World you can get a Netgear DG834 (

As with anything else from PC world you can get the same for at least
10 less elsewhere (incl p&p)

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old December 22nd 07, 01:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Lee

"Ian" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
My Linksys WAG54GS ADSL modem/router has died on the wireless side so has
to be replaced. I'm on BT Total Broadband option 3 (and don't want to use
the horrible BT HomeHub that they supplied) and I need QoS functionality,
so what router would you guru's recommend to replace it?

Cheers

John

For around 49 from PC World you can get a Netgear DG834

That doesn't have wireless connectivity though does it ?

The DG834G (wirekess router) is 59.99

In any event I'd buy elsewhere as PCW (being part of the Dixons Stores
Group) is well know for their atrocious after sales service !

snip

--
Joe Lee

Old December 22nd 07, 07:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean B

Nick wrote:

Ian wrote:
"John" wrote in message
[...]

Have you re-flashed the N? If so what firmware have you used?
My N is absolute rubbish on a poor ADSL line, keeps dropping the
connection won't connect etc. I've tried DG834N_V1.01.06_DGTeam_0743
firmware but it doesn't work. I don't know if the DGTeam have ever
actually tried this fware on an N?

I've bought a NEW Ex Sky DG834GT for 30 inc. postage off ebay.
Flashed it with DGTeam software, cranked the SNR down to 15%
and it's the best I've ever had from BB. Currently up for 61hrs 30min
and it had been re-booted by me at the start of that period.

Connected at 2624 kbps currently. The N was getting 130 kbps
Current Noise Margin 9.8 db : Att 61db

The DG834GT actually runs better, but not as fast with the latest
Netgear firmware.

Sean B

Old December 22nd 07, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Custard

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 19:25:11 -0000, "John" wrote:

My Linksys WAG54GS ADSL modem/router has died on the wireless side so has to
be replaced. I'm on BT Total Broadband option 3 (and don't want to use the
horrible BT HomeHub that they supplied) and I need QoS functionality, so
what router would you guru's recommend to replace it?

Cheers

John

If you want to use your free BT talk time you'll need at least a
Voyager 2500V router. Its only around 20 quid on ebay and is far
better than the Homehub
Old December 22nd 07, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Sean B wrote:
Nick wrote:

Ian wrote:
"John" wrote in message
[...]

My line isn't actually that bad atten 43-44. The problem is that the SNR
appears to have deteriorated recently or becoming more variable. So
originally a SNR target of 6db was fine to keep it synced at ~6000 for a
month, now it drops at every phone call. I used the N to set the SNR to
130% eg ~ target 8 db and it now seems stable.

I'm using default firmware. Being a programmer I don't have a lot of
faith in pre release stuff.

The N doesn't seem as good at reconnecting as the plain old dg834 and
I'm not convinced the SNR monitor is telling me the truth it doesn't
show the same SNR day night variation as the DG834. While the modem does
still sync slower at night which is consistent with the DG834's stats.

I've bought a NEW Ex Sky DG834GT for 30 inc. postage off ebay.
Flashed it with DGTeam software, cranked the SNR down to 15%
and it's the best I've ever had from BB. Currently up for 61hrs 30min
and it had been re-booted by me at the start of that period.

Connected at 2624 kbps currently. The N was getting 130 kbps
Current Noise Margin 9.8 db : Att 61db

The DG834GT actually runs better, but not as fast with the latest
Netgear firmware.

I did think about getting a gt but I thought the ADSL bit was the same
and it seemed fair to spend an extra 20 to get the wireless N. Not that
I'm saying this was a good choice ;O) I would have preferred a GT for 30
rather that the 80 I paid for the N with wireless USB adapter.

Sean B

Old December 22nd 07, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

"Sean B" wrote in message

I've bought a NEW Ex Sky DG834GT for 30 inc. postage off ebay.

i have same router, it doesn't have QOS which the op needs