BT Talk

Old December 22nd 07, 09:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Custard

Default BT Talk

I've got BT Option 3 which includes BT talk. Problem is although any
phone connected to the Router works fine, it doesn't ring on incoming
calls ! I've tried 2 phones but no luck.
Im using a Voyager 2500V
Old December 22nd 07, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

I've got BT Option 3 which includes BT talk. Problem is although any
phone connected to the Router works fine, it doesn't ring on incoming
calls ! I've tried 2 phones but no luck.
Im using a Voyager 2500V

The phone port on the router is probably a little RJ11 type
and you are probably using an adapter to change it into a
standard BT type. Right so far?
The thing is that there are two types of these adapters and
if you use the wrong type *some* phones won't ring.

If you have got a spare ADSL filter lying around try
interposing it between the adapter and the phone, you
might find the phone then rings.
Please note this workaround has nothing at all to do
with ADSL, it just so happens that the filter will have
the capacitor inside which couples the ring signal
to pin 3 of the BT socket, and this capacitor is missing on
the "wrong" type of adapter.
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old December 22nd 07, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Cliffe

Custard wrote:
I've got BT Option 3 which includes BT talk. Problem is although any
phone connected to the Router works fine, it doesn't ring on incoming
calls ! I've tried 2 phones but no luck.
Im using a Voyager 2500V

Are you ringing the BT Broadband Talk number or your home phone number ?
Broadband Talk has its own number, usually in the 05xxx range, though some
are now geographic codes.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old December 22nd 07, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Cliffe

Ian wrote:
"Custard" ignore the wrote in message
news

I've got BT Option 3 which includes BT talk. Problem is although any
phone connected to the Router works fine, it doesn't ring on incoming
calls ! I've tried 2 phones but no luck.
Im using a Voyager 2500V

Your phone doesn't plug in to a router, no wonder it doesn't work
correctly. Use the supplied ADSL filter on the main phone socket. The
router goes to one side and the phone to the other. Simple as
that.

Not in this case !

The 2500v is a VOIP (voice over IP) enabled router. To use the VOIP service
(called BT Broadband Talk), one plugs a telephone handset into the telephone
socket on the back of the router. The service gives the customer an extra
phone line, and the standard BT Broadband package includes free
evening/weekend calls over that service to UK landlines.

The ADSL cable from the router goes to the ADSL side of a microfilter.
The secondary phone cable from the router goes to the telephone side of a
microfilter. This wire only comes into play if the VOIP service is not
working, such as during a power cut. It guarantees the phone line will work
in an emergency.

The normal house phones (not on BT Broadband Talk) go into telephone sides
of microfilters as per normal.

- Nigel (ex BT, with a hand in the design of the 2500v)

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at

Old December 23rd 07, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Custard

[...]

THanks Ill give that a go
Old December 23rd 07, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Custard

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:37:37 -0000, "Nigel Cliffe"
wrote:

Custard wrote:
I've got BT Option 3 which includes BT talk. Problem is although any
phone connected to the Router works fine, it doesn't ring on incoming
calls ! I've tried 2 phones but no luck.
Im using a Voyager 2500V

Are you ringing the BT Broadband Talk number or your home phone number ?
Broadband Talk has its own number, usually in the 05xxx range, though some
are now geographic codes.

Im using my ordinary BT landline to call it as the BT talk number is
now geographic.

- Nigel

Old December 23rd 07, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 22/12/2007 19:55, Nigel Cliffe wrote:

The 2500v is a VOIP (voice over IP) enabled router.

Google's summarised description of it sounds less than positive.

"The BT Voyager 2500v Router is a state of the art ADSL Router that lets
you break your computers ..." ;-)

http://www.google.com/search?q=Voyager%202500V