Sharing a 3 broadband connection

Old December 22nd 07, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Grant

Default Sharing a 3 broadband connection

A neighbour of mine can't get ADSL or cable so uses a USB modem from 3 for
internet access. For their one desktop PC it works and he's happy, however
he would also like access the net from his laptop and a couple of gaming
consoles as well.

From a quick glance it appears that 3 use some kind of dial-up application
to make the connection. I was thinking of hanging a wireless access point
off the desktop's ethernet connection and then running ICS using the 3 modem
as the gateway.

Before I get him to shell out for a WAP, has anyone done this before or know
of a reason why it won't work?

Old December 22nd 07, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Dylan35

"Grant" wrote in message
A neighbour of mine can't get ADSL or cable so uses a USB modem from 3 for
internet access. For their one desktop PC it works and he's happy, however
he would also like access the net from his laptop and a couple of gaming
From a quick glance it appears that 3 use some kind of dial-up application
to make the connection. I was thinking of hanging a wireless access point
off the desktop's ethernet connection and then running ICS using the 3
modem as the gateway.

Before I get him to shell out for a WAP, has anyone done this before or
know of a reason why it won't work?

Another option is a router that uses the 3g usb modem in the same way as a
router would use a ADSL modem .
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/router_compare.shtml shows a list of
models the feature you want is printer / 3g.
Just connect the 3g usb modem up to it and it works like a normal router.
Never tied it but it might be worth you checking out then all PCs / laptops
etc can use the connection without the other pc having to be on.

regards
Adam

Old December 22nd 07, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Grant

Dylan35 wrote:
Another option is a router that uses the 3g usb modem in the same way
as a router would use a ADSL modem .
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/router_compare.shtml shows a list of
models the feature you want is printer / 3g.

Cool - didn't realise routers with USB WAN support were available. 30
seconds on Google has found the Drayteks, a Linksys and a D-Link so far.

Many thanks.

Old December 22nd 07, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Graham J

"Grant" wrote in message
A neighbour of mine can't get ADSL or cable so uses a USB modem from 3 for
internet access. For their one desktop PC it works and he's happy, however
he would also like access the net from his laptop and a couple of gaming
consoles as well.

From a quick glance it appears that 3 use some kind of dial-up application
to make the connection. I was thinking of hanging a wireless access point
off the desktop's ethernet connection and then running ICS using the 3
modem as the gateway.

Before I get him to shell out for a WAP, has anyone done this before or
know of a reason why it won't work?

Just out of interest, what sort of performance does he get?

A friend has just bought a similar system for his daughter to use - the poor
girl is living in a caravan on some remove farm. I tested it here - also a
rural location - and achieved 53kbits/sec. So this might be acceptable for
text-only emails but certainly not for modern websites!

I really doubt whether there would be any point in sharing such a connection
between several computers, other than academic interest!

--
Graham J

Old December 22nd 07, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Douglas Payne

Graham J wrote:
"Grant" wrote in message

A neighbour of mine can't get ADSL or cable so uses a USB modem from 3 for
internet access. For their one desktop PC it works and he's happy, however
he would also like access the net from his laptop and a couple of gaming
consoles as well.

From a quick glance it appears that 3 use some kind of dial-up application
to make the connection. I was thinking of hanging a wireless access point
off the desktop's ethernet connection and then running ICS using the 3
modem as the gateway.

Before I get him to shell out for a WAP, has anyone done this before or
know of a reason why it won't work?

Just out of interest, what sort of performance does he get?

A friend has just bought a similar system for his daughter to use - the poor
girl is living in a caravan on some remove farm. I tested it here - also a
rural location - and achieved 53kbits/sec. So this might be acceptable for
text-only emails but certainly not for modern websites!

I really doubt whether there would be any point in sharing such a connection
between several computers, other than academic interest!

I get a merry 1.2-1.3mb download from my T-Mobile PCMCIA card in my
house. My home isn't exactly rural, but it is at the bottom of quite a
steep hill. T-Mobile currently provides the only 3G signal.

I have shared it with other computers in the house when the ADSL has
been down.

--
Douglas
Old December 23rd 07, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Grant

Graham J wrote:

Just out of interest, what sort of performance does he get?

I downloaded AVG for him from download.com at a sustained 55KB/s. The
subsequent big AVG update came down at 200 KB/s. The mobile coverage here
isn't too good and the 3 app shows it frequently swapping from HSDPA and 3G.

As a comparison, my ADSL line is limited to 1Mb/s.

Old December 23rd 07, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband, uk.telecom.mobile
Ian

On 23 Dec, 12:50, "Grant" wrote:
Graham J wrote:

Just out of interest, what sort of performance does he get?

I downloaded AVG for him from download.com at a sustained 55KB/s. The
subsequent big AVG update came down at 200 KB/s. The mobile coverage here
isn't too good and the 3 app shows it frequently swapping from HSDPA and 3G.

In a previous post you said 53kb/s, this one says 55kB/s. Was one of
those a typo?

Ian
Old December 23rd 07, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Grant

"Ian" wrote in message

In a previous post you said 53kb/s, this one says 55kB/s. Was one of
those a typo?

The poster who said 53kb/s wasn't me.