Contention and fair use

Old December 22nd 07, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile, uk.telecom.broadband
DA, Manchester

Default Contention and fair use

My landline ADSL is 8Mb and I pay £80/month. Mug, you say. I get 10:1
contention ie on average only 10 other users are competing for that
8Mbit throughput.

Why don't ISPs abolish "fair use" caps, number of bytes, and instead
give people their first, say 300Mb (or 10Mb each day) at 5-1, then
next 300 at 20-1, next at 100-1, after a gigabyte open, ie you are
competing with all logged on customers of your ISP except those in
preferred contention at that time.

Or even more linear?

Or dashboards to swap allowance for contention

Also whatever contention you are running at, give priority to port 80
and megapriority to 443 and the pay download/stream ports, at expense
of edonkey gnutella limewire kazaa (users dont care).

The point is all ADSL is top speed, it's just a commercial game
offering less. It's all contention.

dAVE
Old December 23rd 07, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

"DA, Manchester" wrote in message
My landline ADSL is 8Mb and I pay £80/month. Mug, you say. I get 10:1
contention ie on average only 10 other users are competing for that
8Mbit throughput.

Mug

Why don't ISPs abolish "fair use" caps, number of bytes, and instead
give people their first, say 300Mb (or 10Mb each day) at 5-1, then
next 300 at 20-1, next at 100-1, after a gigabyte open, ie you are
competing with all logged on customers of your ISP except those in
preferred contention at that time.

?Or even more linear?

Or dashboards to swap allowance for contention

Also whatever contention you are running at, give priority to port 80
and megapriority to 443 and the pay download/stream ports, at expense
of edonkey gnutella limewire kazaa (users dont care).

i can use any port with torrents, including 443

The point is all ADSL is top speed, it's just a commercial game
offering less. It's all contention.

dAVE

good ISPs offer full speed all the time. do a little research. the only
reasons i can think of you having to pay £80/month is if you are a big
downloader (80gb/month or more) with a payg isp or if you don't have llu
sky/o2/be at your exchange (which would be faster and cheaper), or you're an
idiot.
contention at he exchange is not the problem that it once was, but an isp's
provision of backhaul capacity is, and this is where many problems arise.
name your isp then we may understand.
mug?

Old December 23rd 07, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

[...]

I take it you have no idea how the ISPs are charged for data - or even any
idea of how to run a business. Ever heard of traffic shaping? ISPs have
been doing what you want for years. Do try and keep up! I agree you are a
mug for paying £80 for a 8MB ADSL when you can get the same for as little as
£17-99/month with a clear maximum usage figure given.
If you think your outdated ideas would ever work why not set up your own
ISP, see how few customers you get and how quickly you go bankrupt.
You sound like a right idiot if you don't realise peer2peer, that you would
restrict, is being used for legal purposes and will be even more soon by
some of the major media companies.

Do us all a favour, learn to do a bit of research and you will not look so
stupid. Learn to shop around and save yourself £700+ per year - fool!