Syncing at 3776 kbps but download speed only 1976 kbps?

Old December 23rd 07, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve C

Default Syncing at 3776 kbps but download speed only 1976 kbps?

My router always syncs at either 3776 kbps or 4118 kbps (commonly 3776
kbps). Connection is stable and never breaks down or re-syncs but the
download speed never reaches anything above 1996 kbps.

Is this right? If not what can I do about it?

Should I be expecting it to be a just little faster?

The router is a Netgear DG834G......

Thanks
Steve

ps. Merry Christmas to all in 'uk.telecom.broadband'

Old December 23rd 07, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Steve C wrote:
My router always syncs at either 3776 kbps or 4118 kbps (commonly 3776
kbps). Connection is stable and never breaks down or re-syncs but the
download speed never reaches anything above 1996 kbps.

Is this right? If not what can I do about it?

Might be.. Either your BRAS is stuck ay 2000 or your ISP is crap.

Should I be expecting it to be a just little faster?

Yes.

Old December 23rd 07, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Steve C" wrote in message
My router always syncs at either 3776 kbps or 4118 kbps (commonly 3776
kbps). Connection is stable and never breaks down or re-syncs but the
download speed never reaches anything above 1996 kbps.

Is this right? If not what can I do about it?

Should I be expecting it to be a just little faster?

The router is a Netgear DG834G......

Thanks
Steve

ps. Merry Christmas to all in 'uk.telecom.broadband'

Is it a v3 (label underneath) and are you using it through a wired port on
the back?
On wireless they are fine, but not via the wired ports, there is a major
fault that Netgear
refuse to acknowledge or even fix. It queues up data and sends it in small
bursts, then tells the
site that you need to catch up and stops. It's very annoying. It only
started happening when they did one of the updates, hopefully the latest has
fixed it.

Old December 23rd 07, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve C

"Ian" wrote in message
Is it a v3 (label underneath) and are you using it through a wired port on
the back?
On wireless they are fine, but not via the wired ports, there is a major
fault that Netgear
refuse to acknowledge or even fix. It queues up data and sends it in

small
bursts, then tells the
site that you need to catch up and stops. It's very annoying. It only
started happening when they did one of the updates, hopefully the latest

has
fixed it.

Not its not a V3. I have tried it with several DG834s, including a MK1 and
two MKII models...

Old December 23rd 07, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Steve C wrote:

My router always syncs at either 3776 kbps or 4118 kbps (commonly 3776
kbps). Connection is stable and never breaks down or re-syncs but the
download speed never reaches anything above 1996 kbps.

Is this right? If not what can I do about it?

Should I be expecting it to be a just little faster?

Assuming it's a BT line the first thing is to see what your profile is set
to.

Go here ....
http://speedtester.bt.com/

and follow the instructions. It's slow btw.

If the profile is close to the sync rate (as it should be) then the
problem is probably your ISP. Which one is it ?

Graham

Old December 23rd 07, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doug

Might be.. Either your BRAS is stuck

Think my wife has the same problem...... She never takes it off in my
presence. (

Old December 23rd 07, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve C

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Steve C wrote:

My router always syncs at either 3776 kbps or 4118 kbps (commonly 3776
kbps). Connection is stable and never breaks down or re-syncs but the
download speed never reaches anything above 1996 kbps.

Is this right? If not what can I do about it?

Should I be expecting it to be a just little faster?

Assuming it's a BT line the first thing is to see what your profile is set
to.

Go here ....
http://speedtester.bt.com/

and follow the instructions. It's slow btw.

If the profile is close to the sync rate (as it should be) then the
problem is probably your ISP. Which one is it ?

Graham

It doesn't give me a profile.... Just a speed result.... 1181 kbps
according to this tester.

SteveC

Old December 23rd 07, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 23/12/2007 11:57, Steve C wrote:

It doesn't give me a profile.... Just a speed result.... 1181 kbps
according to this tester.

Are you sure? I've just run it and got the following result

"Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: - provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2560 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1853 kbps"
Old December 23rd 07, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Steve C wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Steve C wrote:

My router always syncs at either 3776 kbps or 4118 kbps (commonly 3776
kbps). Connection is stable and never breaks down or re-syncs but the
download speed never reaches anything above 1996 kbps.

Is this right? If not what can I do about it?

Should I be expecting it to be a just little faster?

Assuming it's a BT line the first thing is to see what your profile is set
to.

Go here ....
http://speedtester.bt.com/

and follow the instructions. It's slow btw.

If the profile is close to the sync rate (as it should be) then the
problem is probably your ISP. Which one is it ?

It doesn't give me a profile.... Just a speed result.... 1181 kbps
according to this tester.

You have to keep going. There's a 'second pass' that gives more detail IIRC.
However it's so slow I can't see right now.

And who is your ISP ?

Graham

Old December 23rd 07, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

My router always syncs at either 3776 kbps or 4118 kbps (commonly 3776
kbps). Connection is stable and never breaks down or re-syncs but the
download speed never reaches anything above 1996 kbps.
Is this right? If not what can I do about it?
Should I be expecting it to be a just little faster?

Assuming you realise some quote bits, others
bytes. Everything should be measured in bits.

Is the download speed the same in the wee small hours?
Around 4 am?
(my ISP goes much faster after midnight, when the
UK is going to bed, even faster when both the US
and the UK are in bed.)

Does your ISP run its own speedtester?
What does that say?
(ISP's own speedtesters may give a good
download speed, it's over their local network.
Insufficient backhaul bandwidth,
congestion, and traffic shaping may result
in a very different picture when you connect
to other speedtesters and ISP's.)

Does your ISP's customer portal give you access
to, and the recent history of, your BRAS profile?

Are you using a CAT5 wired connection
to your router, or wireless?

Has it always, or for how long, has it been so slow,
did it go faster at one time?

What's your ISP, that may explain everything.