Virgin "traffic management"

Old December 23rd 07, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil McKerracher

Default Virgin "traffic management"

I'm normally a very light broadband user (just browsing and email), but
today I needed to transfer a bunch of files (roughly 500 Megs) from one
webhost to another against a deadline and found my connection has been
capped at 1 Mbit/s down and 128 kbit/s up because of their new "traffic
management" policy
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

I'm not happy. It's practically impossible to know whether your usage is in
the "top 3%" at any time, so effectively this means "no big transfers during
peak hours" - in other words the connection is effectively 1 Mbit/s at peak
times and 4 Mbit/s off peak. That's not what I though I was paying for. I
feel a letter to Oftel coming on.

--
Phil McKerracher
www.mckerracher.net

Old December 23rd 07, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HVS

On 23 Dec 2007, Phil McKerracher wrote

I'm normally a very light broadband user (just browsing and
email), but today I needed to transfer a bunch of files (roughly
500 Megs) from one webhost to another against a deadline and
found my connection has been capped at 1 Mbit/s down and 128
kbit/s up because of their new "traffic management" policy
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

I'm not happy. It's practically impossible to know whether your
usage is in the "top 3%" at any time, so effectively this means
"no big transfers during peak hours" - in other words the
connection is effectively 1 Mbit/s at peak times and 4 Mbit/s
off peak. That's not what I though I was paying for. I feel a
letter to Oftel coming on.

Agreed. VM's new traffic management is an incredibly blunt weapon.

ISPs have to manage system abuse, but it's clearly a bit perverse to
define throttle-able usage as "anything over this amount -- ever,
even as a one-off, and regardless of what your monthly usage may be".

It looks like more of a panic measure than a well-thought-out policy.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Old December 23rd 07, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Phil McKerracher wrote:
I'm normally a very light broadband user (just browsing and email),
but today I needed to transfer a bunch of files (roughly 500 Megs)
from one webhost to another against a deadline and found my
connection has been capped at 1 Mbit/s down and 128 kbit/s up because
of their new "traffic management" policy
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

I'm not happy. It's practically impossible to know whether your usage
is in the "top 3%" at any time, so effectively this means "no big
transfers during peak hours" - in other words the connection is
effectively 1 Mbit/s at peak times and 4 Mbit/s off peak. That's not
what I though I was paying for. I feel a letter to Oftel coming on.

Try OFCOM, OFTEL is no more.

Have to say though I'd rather have the STM than a hard download limit that
most other ISPs have, for example 40GB per month and that's it.

I'd rather have neither, but there are some who abuse the system.

--
Worried about debt?
http://www.cccs.co.uk

Old December 24th 07, 12:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Obsidian Order

On Dec 23, 10:25*pm, "Phil McKerracher" wrote:

That's not what I though I was paying for. I feel a letter to Oftel coming on.

It's OFCOM now but or what itēs worth I totally agree with you, you
shouldnēt have to put up with **** like this, especally from cowboys
like Virgin. When it was ntl I left after a week and a half as my
broadband was off for nearly eight hours a day due to what they said
was a power failure in a street cabinet.

Good luck with your fight.

Merry Christmas.

Old December 24th 07, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Obsidian Order

On Dec 23, 10:56*pm, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:

Have to say though I'd rather have the STM than a hard download limit that
most other ISPs have, for example 40GB per month and that's it.

Sorry Whatēs STM?

Merry Christmas.
Old December 24th 07, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Obsidian Order wrote:
On Dec 23, 10:56 pm, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:

Have to say though I'd rather have the STM than a hard download
limit that most other ISPs have, for example 40GB per month and
that's it.

Sorry Whatēs STM?

Merry Christmas.

Subscriber Traffic Management

http://stm.brion.me.uk Explains more. As does the link in the OP.

Merry Christmas.

--
Worried about debt?
http://www.cccs.co.uk

Old December 24th 07, 01:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Sun, 23 Dec 2007 22:25:42, Phil McKerracher
wrote:

I'm normally a very light broadband user (just browsing and email), but
today I needed to transfer a bunch of files (roughly 500 Megs) from one
webhost to another against a deadline and found my connection has been
capped at 1 Mbit/s down and 128 kbit/s up because of their new "traffic
management" policy
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

Why don't you use an ISP that won't penalise you for occasional peaks?
And no limit whatsoever 'out of office hours'.

Faint clues in headers.

This bleating about capping has been going on for over a year, I'm so
surprised those who could duck and dive haven't done so. Frankly, you
had been warned...

--
Jim Crowther
Old December 24th 07, 08:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

wrote:

I'm normally a very light broadband user (just browsing and email), but
today I needed to transfer a bunch of files (roughly 500 Megs) from one
webhost to another against a deadline and found my connection has been
capped at 1 Mbit/s down and 128 kbit/s up because of their new "traffic
management" policy
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

Why don't you use an ISP that won't penalise you for occasional peaks?
And no limit whatsoever 'out of office hours'.

Faint clues in headers.

Hear, hear (same ISP). Ideal for you, Phil, as a tech-savvy user.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old December 24th 07, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

"Phil McKerracher" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

i'm guessing this is the adsl product, is the llu also shaped now?

Old December 24th 07, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Swift

In article id, Jim
Crowther writes
This bleating about capping has been going on for over a year, I'm so
surprised those who could duck and dive haven't done so. Frankly, you
had been warned...

Unfortunately some of us are in the strange position of being a long way
from an exchange but in a cabled area so choices are limited.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange