Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Old December 24th 07, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor

Default Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

My father has signed up with BT broadband and connects on a D-link DSL-
G624T wireless router which he was using on his old isp (talktalk) but
we find that on a lot of different sites we get the "Internet Explorer
cannot display the web page" screen, these site are up and running as
I can get them on my computer from my home, though I'm not on BT. I
can't workout what is causing this as his Internet Explorer 7 settings
have not been altered since the change. Could it be a problem with his
PC or something to do with BT?. Any advice or clues would be welcome.
Trevor Smith
Old December 24th 07, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Cliffe

Trevor wrote:
My father has signed up with BT broadband and connects on a D-link
DSL- G624T wireless router which he was using on his old isp
(talktalk) but we find that on a lot of different sites we get the
"Internet Explorer cannot display the web page" screen, these site
are up and running as I can get them on my computer from my home,
though I'm not on BT. I can't workout what is causing this as his
Internet Explorer 7 settings have not been altered since the change.
Could it be a problem with his PC or something to do with BT?. Any
advice or clues would be welcome. Trevor Smith

Try the BT supplied router. Does it still cause problems ?
Alternatively, try a different browser, eg. Firefox, and see if that fixes
things.

Those two should enable you to isolate whether its router or PC/IE settings.

Check for things like firewalls, antivirus packages, accidentally installing
a parental filter, etc.

I'd also go looking for any DNS entries, proxy servers, or any other debris
which may have been left from previous installations of access products.
Ideally the Windows network address (TC/ICP) settings control panel should
be "automatic" (ie. DHCP from router) for both address and DNS servers.

In my view, highly unlikely to be the BT service. There wasn't any site
blocking when I worked there.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old December 24th 07, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Trevor" wrote in message
My father has signed up with BT broadband and connects on a D-link DSL-
G624T wireless router which he was using on his old isp (talktalk) but
we find that on a lot of different sites we get the "Internet Explorer
cannot display the web page" screen, these site are up and running as
I can get them on my computer from my home, though I'm not on BT. I
can't workout what is causing this as his Internet Explorer 7 settings
have not been altered since the change. Could it be a problem with his
PC or something to do with BT?. Any advice or clues would be welcome.
Trevor Smith

Either the pages are not available via BT, there is a fault, servers are
busy, he has a hosts list to filter sites, the DNS server could be down or
there is a problem with the router.
It all depends on whether he can connect to other sites or not.
If he could connect to sites via his old ISP and can't now, and hasn't
changed any settings, then it must be BT.

Old December 24th 07, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor

On 24 Dec, 21:41, "Ian" wrote:
"Trevor" wrote in message

[...]

If the DNS server was down the I would have though that he would not
get any sites. I am going to try my laptop and router on his
connection and try the sites again, if I can't get them then it's a
call to BT.
Thanks for your help.
Trevor Smith
Old December 25th 07, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Ian wrote:
"Trevor" wrote in message
[...]

Bzzzzzzzzz
If he hasn't made any changes he may not be able to use the DNS
servers from his last ISP so he would get problems. Best thing to do
is to double check the DNS servers in the router (IIRC you have to
reboot the G624T to make any changes permanent) & also possibly check
the TCPIP settings in the PC to see if they are pointing to the older
DNS servers. If they are there is no need to remove them just add the
BT DNS servers to the mix.

Old December 25th 07, 03:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sid Fishes

"Trevor" wrote in message
My father has signed up with BT broadband and connects on a D-link DSL-
G624T wireless router which he was using on his old isp (talktalk) but
we find that on a lot of different sites we get the "Internet Explorer
cannot display the web page" screen, these site are up and running as
I can get them on my computer from my home, though I'm not on BT. I
can't workout what is causing this as his Internet Explorer 7 settings
have not been altered since the change. Could it be a problem with his
PC or something to do with BT?. Any advice or clues would be welcome.
Trevor Smith

i had a DLink 504T in the past, with a similar prob. i fixed it by reducing
the MTU value from 1500 (the default), to something lower, ie. 1450.

you will find an option to change the MTU somewhere in your router settings.

Old December 25th 07, 08:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor

On 25 Dec, 03:04, "Sid Fishes" wrote:
"Trevor" wrote in message

My father has signed up with BT broadband and connects on a D-link DSL-
G624T wireless router which he was using on his old isp (talktalk) but
we find that on a lot of different sites we get the "Internet Explorer
cannot display the web page" screen, these site are up and running as
I can get them on my computer from my home, though I'm not on BT. I
can't workout what is causing this as his Internet Explorer 7 settings
have not been altered since the change. Could it be a problem with his
PC or something to do with BT?. Any advice or clues would be welcome.
Trevor Smith

i had a DLink 504T in the past, with a similar prob. i fixed it by reducing
the MTU value from 1500 (the default), to something lower, ie. 1450.

you will find an option to change the MTU somewhere in your router settings.

I think I have found the answer in http://tinyurl.com/27kaqs
Trevor Smith
Old December 25th 07, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gio

"Trevor" wrote in message

[...]

I hope BT have sorted that, it was reported back in July 2002 :-)
Gio

Old December 25th 07, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 03:04:01 -0000, "Sid Fishes"
wrote:

i had a DLink 504T in the past, with a similar prob. i fixed it by reducing
the MTU value from 1500 (the default), to something lower, ie. 1450.

you will find an option to change the MTU somewhere in your router settings.

It is the solution to quite a common problem with PPPoE connections
but I didn't think it was applicable with PPPoA (a la BT)

Having said that, my ISP (adsl24 entanet) instructs users to set a MTU
of 1478 so maybe there's something in it?

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/794/router_mtu.html
This is worth reading.

Jim.

Old December 25th 07, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

"Trevor" wrote in message

[...]

Come on Slick, that is from 5.5 years ago.

Give examples of sites your father can't get.