A router question from a newbie

Old December 26th 07, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eatmorepies

Default A router question from a newbie

Hello

Last week I connected to Tiscali broadband using the modem they sent me. It
all works as it should.

My wife uses a computer in the room next door. I plan to buy a modem router
to replace the speedtouch item from Tiscali and then do one of 2 things.

1. Run a cable to the next room - the way we run dial-up.
2. Buy a wireless router.

The wireless router is the option I prefer becasue I could then use the
laptop elsewhere in the house. The laptop came with a USB wireless thingy
with 802.11g on it.

Tomorrow, or the next day, I intend to go to PC World to buy the modem
router - any tips on what I need to look for?

Also - the speedtouch modem plugged into a USB port. Do they all do this?

Regards

John

Old December 26th 07, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Eatmorepies" wrote in message
Hello

Last week I connected to Tiscali broadband using the modem they sent me.
It all works as it should.

My wife uses a computer in the room next door. I plan to buy a modem
router to replace the speedtouch item from Tiscali and then do one of 2
things.

1. Run a cable to the next room - the way we run dial-up.
2. Buy a wireless router.

The wireless router is the option I prefer becasue I could then use the
laptop elsewhere in the house. The laptop came with a USB wireless thingy
with 802.11g on it.

Tomorrow, or the next day, I intend to go to PC World to buy the modem
router - any tips on what I need to look for?

Also - the speedtouch modem plugged into a USB port. Do they all do this?

Regards

John

The Sagem modem from tiscali (small blue one) does plug in to the USB socket
on computers.
If you're off to PCWorld then look for the 49-ish Netgear DG834 and make
sure it is the one for ADSL as it will have a modem built in. Very easy to
set up using their CD. Then you can use both PCs. I wouldn't bother with
anything expensive unless you are streaming video and audio or transferring
huge files between the two computers all the time. The Netgear DG834 is
fine.
I use one with two computers and a WiFi radio.
All you need to do is go in to the setup by plugging in the supplied network
cable to the computer and router. Type in 192.168.0.1 on Internet Explorer
and I think the password to get in is admin.
Put your main Tiscali Internet Address as the user name and then your
password. That is all it needs to do the ADSL part. I would suggest
changing the router login password and using WPA-PSK.
It's all explained on the supplied CD if you prefer to use that and follow
the prompts.
The Netgear will not fall over if you use Peer2Peer programs or Joost. The
Belkin type and other crap models are unstable. The Netgear just keeps
going and going and has regular updates. It's very reliable.
Don't let them force you to buy anything more expensive or to bully you in
to paying for an extra warranty - if the netgear goes wrong within 12months
PC World have to (by Law) exchange it and sort it out with the manufacturer.
DO NOT pay for a rip-off warranty as the unit already has one for 12months.
Staff are forced to sell warranties to meet targets as they make more money
from them than the product.
See if it is cheaper to buy the router online and call in to collect it. PC
World have dual pricing to con people who visit the shops by charging them
more for a lot of items! You can look at an item that for example costs
150 and drive home to order it for 120, then go back to the same shop and
collect it. God knows what PC World are thinking as it upsets a lot of the
staff when customers mention the vast difference in dual pricing.

Old December 26th 07, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Eatmorepies wrote:

Hello

Last week I connected to Tiscali broadband using the modem they sent
me. It all works as it should.

My wife uses a computer in the room next door. I plan to buy a modem
router to replace the speedtouch item from Tiscali and then do one of
2 things.
1. Run a cable to the next room - the way we run dial-up.
2. Buy a wireless router.

The wireless router is the option I prefer becasue I could then use
the laptop elsewhere in the house. The laptop came with a USB
wireless thingy with 802.11g on it.

Tomorrow, or the next day, I intend to go to PC World to buy the modem
router - any tips on what I need to look for?

Make sure you get an ADSLModem/router all in one 'cos you're very unlikely
to be able to use the existing USB modem with it if you buy just a router.

The choice of wired vs wireless is yours. Wireless gives greater flexibility
but will not provide such a fast link between your two or more computers,
although this is not an issue for internet browsing. There are also security
issues with wireless which you need to understand and deal with if you are
not to leave your network wide open to gatecrashing and hacking into your
personal data. Whilst a wireless modem/router will work almost straight out
of the box with a minimum of configuration, it will *not* be secure unless
you take the appropriate measures.

Also - the speedtouch modem plugged into a USB port. Do they all do
this?

No, a router will connect to the computer's ethernet port. If using a
wireless connection, a computer will communicate with the router using
either an internal wireless card, or an external one - typically connecting
to a USB port. A laptop may well use a PCMCIA-based wireless card if it
doesn't have wireless built in.

When several computers are connected to a router, not only does this share
the internet connection between them, but it also enables the computers to
communicate with each other - sharing files, printers, etc. whether online
or not.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old December 26th 07, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jen D

"Eatmorepies" wrote in message

Tiscali router setting
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/broadb..._settings.html

Old December 26th 07, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:05:54 -0000, "Ian"
wrote:

If you're off to PCWorld then look for the 49-ish Netgear DG834 and make
sure it is the one for ADSL as it will have a modem built in.

The cheapest wireless I can find are over 60.00 but I am going to
get one in the morning thought about the Speed touch with two voip
ports from Broadband buyer but decided to go for Netgear .

Old December 26th 07, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 26-Dec-2007, "Roger Mills" wrote:

Whilst a wireless modem/router will work almost straight out
of the box with a minimum of configuration, it will *not* be secure unless
you take the appropriate measures.

In some areas there are many unsecured channels,
ready and open for freeloaders to download kiddy
porn and large P2P downloads.
Then you get the blame.
Wired tends to be faster and more reliable.
Problem with wireless is the aerial is often stuck
behind, and shielded by, the PC's case. Not to
mention nearby users using the same channel,
weak signals, and reflections.
Old December 27th 07, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:22:15 GMT,
wrote:

On 26-Dec-2007, "Roger Mills" wrote:

Whilst a wireless modem/router will work almost straight out
of the box with a minimum of configuration, it will *not* be secure
unless you take the appropriate measures.

In some areas there are many unsecured channels,
ready and open for freeloaders to download kiddy
porn and large P2P downloads.
Then you get the blame.
Wired tends to be faster and more reliable.
Problem with wireless is the aerial is often stuck
behind, and shielded by, the PC's case. Not to
mention nearby users using the same channel,
weak signals, and reflections.

Give over if a Wireless router is adequately protected
it is ok but if some fool decided's not to protect then tough they
deserve to be hacked .

But the problem is that router suppliers make it easy to get going by
providing an automated setup routine which completely ignores security. Many
users will not be aware of the security issues unless they are brought to
their notice. You can't really blame them for that.
--
Cheers,
Roger