BT's ADSL Max & Fixed Rate DSLAM kit

Old December 26th 07, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

Default BT's ADSL Max & Fixed Rate DSLAM kit

On ADSL Max, my sync speed generally varies from round about 512k to
672k. When I can get it at 672k, the router holds onto it quite well
but it will eventually drop to something lower and get re-profiled
downwards. Then it's several days before there's a chance of getting
it back up from 350k to 500k (bras profile)

Given that it's probably going to be 350k profile all the time unless
I intervene to manually reboot at specifically good times of day, I
was thinking that maybe a fixed 512/256 connection was probably going
to be better than a max connection at effectively 350/350

I know from my sync with BT's Max kit, there is generally a SNR margin
which would rarely drop below 6 at a sync of 512k and so it should be
okay for a fixed rate 512/256 connection. My question is, in order to
get a fixed rate connection would BT have to switch my phone line back
onto old equipment where the syncs and SNR margins are not so good or
do they use the same equipment as now but with different settings? In
other words, do the above numbers hold true or not?

Jim.

Old December 26th 07, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

James Egan wrote:
My question is, in order to
get a fixed rate connection would BT have to switch my phone line back
onto old equipment where the syncs and SNR margins are not so good or
do they use the same equipment as now but with different settings?

Same equipment, it is basically just a software/setting change.

Have you tried to increase your sync rate at all? Do you get the same
rate from the test socket within the master socket?
Old December 27th 07, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:00:43 +0000, Paul Cupis
wrote:

Have you tried to increase your sync rate at all? Do you get the same
rate from the test socket within the master socket?

I don't have a test socket. There are two phone lines. The incoming
cable goes into a small circuit board in the wall box which runs to
two phone sockets, one for each line. The second line is with talktalk
at a staggering 320k

BT knocked back my ISP's initial attempt to switch to a fixed 512/256
connection stating that the line could only support a max connection.
If the sync rate and SNR margins I am reading are correct then it
might be worth pursuing further.

Jim.

Old December 27th 07, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

James Egan wrote:

I don't have a test socket. There are two phone lines. The incoming
cable goes into a small circuit board in the wall box which runs to
two phone sockets, one for each line. The second line is with talktalk
at a staggering 320k

What does the BT socket look like? Is it an NTE-5 like the right-hand box
shown here http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm ?

If so, remove the lower part by undoing the 2 screws, and you'll find the
test socket behind it.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old December 27th 07, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

James Egan wrote:

Paul Cupis wrote:

Have you tried to increase your sync rate at all? Do you get the same
rate from the test socket within the master socket?

I don't have a test socket. There are two phone lines. The incoming
cable goes into a small circuit board in the wall box which runs to
two phone sockets, one for each line. The second line is with talktalk
at a staggering 320k

BT knocked back my ISP's initial attempt to switch to a fixed 512/256
connection stating that the line could only support a max connection.

Well that's definitely odd advice. It's usually the other way round.

WHO is your ISP ? Most of the trouble may lie there.

Graham

Old December 27th 07, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Roger Mills wrote:

James Egan wrote:

I don't have a test socket. There are two phone lines. The incoming
cable goes into a small circuit board in the wall box which runs to
two phone sockets, one for each line. The second line is with talktalk
at a staggering 320k

What does the BT socket look like? Is it an NTE-5 like the right-hand box
shown here http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm ?

If so, remove the lower part by undoing the 2 screws, and you'll find the
test socket behind it.

I don't have one of those either. Maybe they didn't exist in 1983 ?

Graham

Old December 27th 07, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 11:04:48 +0000, Eeyore wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, James Egan
wrote:

I don't have a test socket. There are two phone lines. The incoming
cable goes into a small circuit board in the wall box which runs to
two phone sockets, one for each line. The second line is with
talktalk at a staggering 320k

What does the BT socket look like? Is it an NTE-5 like the right-hand
box shown here http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm ?

If so, remove the lower part by undoing the 2 screws, and you'll find
the test socket behind it.

I don't have one of those either. Maybe they didn't exist in 1983 ?

:-) You can pick up NTE5 boxes from maplin, screwfix etc if you're cool
with fitting it yourself, or call BT and get 'em to fit one.

I'm given to understand that BT absolutely want to have these things, as
otherwise you can, with some justification, claim that the in-house
wiring is their responsibility. So there's a fair chance they'll do it
for free.

Old December 28th 07, 03:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yellow

wrote:

I don't have a test socket. There are two phone lines. The incoming
cable goes into a small circuit board in the wall box which runs to
two phone sockets, one for each line. The second line is with
talktalk at a staggering 320k

What does the BT socket look like? Is it an NTE-5 like the right-hand
box shown here http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm ?

If so, remove the lower part by undoing the 2 screws, and you'll find
the test socket behind it.

I don't have one of those either. Maybe they didn't exist in 1983 ?

:-) You can pick up NTE5 boxes from maplin, screwfix etc if you're cool
with fitting it yourself,

Interesting advice if I might say so.

Old December 28th 07, 04:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

wrote:

I don't have a test socket. There are two phone lines. The incoming
cable goes into a small circuit board in the wall box which runs to
two phone sockets, one for each line. The second line is with
talktalk at a staggering 320k

What does the BT socket look like? Is it an NTE-5 like the right-hand
box shown here http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm ?

If so, remove the lower part by undoing the 2 screws, and you'll find
the test socket behind it.

I don't have one of those either. Maybe they didn't exist in 1983 ?

:-) You can pick up NTE5 boxes from maplin, screwfix etc if you're cool
with fitting it yourself,

Interesting advice if I might say so.

I'm just curious what BT would say about it if they discovered one without
their logo on it.

Graham

Old December 28th 07, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message , Mark McIntyre
wrote
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 11:04:48 +0000, Eeyore wrote:

:-) You can pick up NTE5 boxes from maplin, screwfix etc if you're cool
with fitting it yourself, or call BT and get 'em to fit one.

I'm given to understand that BT absolutely want to have these things, as
otherwise you can, with some justification, claim that the in-house
wiring is their responsibility. So there's a fair chance they'll do it
for free.

For free probably read lots of money.

The wiring to the master socket is BTs and you cannot (legally?) "Do It
Yourself"[1]. Older installations would not have had a master socket
with a removable face-plate but that doesn't mean that there isn't a
master socket.

[1] I'm sure lots of people have changed master sockets themselves and
if done competently BT will be none the wiser. A BT installed socket is
likely to have BT or Openreach branding rather than the 'plain' NTE5
sockets sold in Maplin etc.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com