Vista 64bit and norton firewall

Old December 29th 07, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tam

Default Vista 64bit and norton firewall

Hi group,

I installed Vista 64bit over the weekend and have this morning went to
install norton firewall.

Alas it was not an option when i went to the http://bt.software.yahoo.com
page which is where i previously installed Norton Firewall and AV as
part of the option 3 package I have from BT on my previous XP SP2
release.

No Norton options were there with only yahoo toolbar (useless), Yahoo
messenger (already installed) and Talk Softphone (not used) options
available with no option to install Norton.

I contacted their technical help desk and was informed that as I was
using 64bit version of Vista then Norton was not available and
would'nt be available until March (and ill take that with a pinch of
salt).

So can anyone give me any other information regarding this or point me
to a group that would deal more directly with this problem... Im not a
happy bunny.

Regards

Thomas Inglis
Old December 29th 07, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Tam wrote:
[...]

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

I use the 64bit version (on XP not Vista but it should be the same).

It takes a little time to set up and is slightly problematic but it is
the best firewall I have tried so far.

Old December 29th 07, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tam

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

I use the 64bit version (on XP not Vista but it should be the same).

It takes a little time to set up and is slightly problematic but it is
the best firewall I have tried so far.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

The reason I like norton so much is two fold... it comes with AV and
also the firewall alerts me to anything that is outgoing... so should
a nasty even managed to sneak its way onto my system i can simply deny
it access by norton directly.

Does Comodo work/operate simalairly?
Old December 29th 07, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Tam wrote:
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

I use the 64bit version (on XP not Vista but it should be the same).

It takes a little time to set up and is slightly problematic but it is
the best firewall I have tried so far.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

The reason I like norton so much is two fold... it comes with AV and
also the firewall alerts me to anything that is outgoing... so should
a nasty even managed to sneak its way onto my system i can simply deny
it access by norton directly.

Does Comodo work/operate simalairly?

Yes Comodo protects against outgoing/phone home apps. I use AVG for
anti-virus, it is free too.
Old December 29th 07, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tam

On Dec 29, 4:58 pm, Nick wrote:
Tam wrote:
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

I use the 64bit version (on XP not Vista but it should be the same).

It takes a little time to set up and is slightly problematic but it is
the best firewall I have tried so far.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

The reason I like norton so much is two fold... it comes with AV and
also the firewall alerts me to anything that is outgoing... so should
a nasty even managed to sneak its way onto my system i can simply deny
it access by norton directly.

Does Comodo work/operate simalairly?

Yes Comodo protects against outgoing/phone home apps. I use AVG for
anti-virus, it is free too.

Thanks dude... i guess this will have to do until my favourite norton
appears for 64bit vista... i beleive it *is* avaiable as the tech help
at BT helpfully suggested i go buy it... humph, go buy something I
should get as part of the package I already pay BT for? Bit cheeky but
there you go.

Help appreciated.
Old December 29th 07, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

Tam wrote:
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

I use the 64bit version (on XP not Vista but it should be the same).

It takes a little time to set up and is slightly problematic but it is
the best firewall I have tried so far.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

The reason I like norton so much is two fold... it comes with AV and
also the firewall alerts me to anything that is outgoing... so should
a nasty even managed to sneak its way onto my system i can simply deny
it access by norton directly.

Have you tried the free version of ZoneAlarm? That also blocks outgoing.

Avast is a good free AV.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old December 29th 07, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Devs

In message
, Tam
writes
So can anyone give me any other information regarding this or point me
to a group that would deal more directly with this problem... Im not a
happy bunny

.

Count your blessings and get a decent AV program. You won't regret it.
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"
Old December 29th 07, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tam

Thankyou for all your replies.

I guess Norton has just become like an old friend over the years...
Ive had it on every PC/installation Ive ever had up till now where ive
been blocked from doing so,

I have AVG for the AntiVirus (bad experience with ZoneAlarm a few
years ago has put me off it) and Comodo for the firewall.

I run a hardware firewall but I do like that local one also... its
just proved itself to be so useful over the years.

Again, for now, until BT release Norton 64bit I am at least sorted for
the short term and again... thankyou all for your responses.

On Dec 29, 5:12 pm, Devs wrote:
In message
, Tam
writes

Old December 29th 07, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:10:13 -0800, Tam wrote:

Thankyou for all your replies.

I guess Norton has just become like an old friend over the years... Ive
had it on every PC/installation Ive ever had up till now where ive been
blocked from doing so,

I gave up on it at the point where it became a) a massive resource hog
and b) expensive.

I run a hardware firewall but I do like that local one also... its just
proved itself to be so useful over the years.

If you have Vista, the builtin firewall is probably more than adequate,
with a h'w firewall elsewhere in circuit.