Switching wires in the pair improves ADSL connections?

Old December 29th 07, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith

Default Switching wires in the pair improves ADSL connections?

Not sure which message I read recently in this group, but someone suggested
changing over the wires of the pair.... What effect would this have and is
it worth trying if there are problems with the connection?

Keith

Old December 29th 07, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NewsNN

"Ian" wrote in
:

"Keith" wrote in message
Not sure which message I read recently in this group, but someone
suggested
changing over the wires of the pair.... What effect would this have
and is
it worth trying if there are problems with the connection?

Keith

Ask the person who claimed that to explain why! It will make no
difference.

I have seen many articles supporting this with evidence, though I am not
going to spend hours trawling to post a link.

In a nutshell, this is only something to perform where A and B have been
transposed, and is merely restoring the physical line to its correct state.
There is a simple multimeter check to see which is the correct +/- line.

What does help line quality is disconnecting the third "ring" wire and
using master sockets on all telephone extensions instead, or better still
separating the circuits so ADSL is only fed where it is needed.
Old December 29th 07, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Keith wrote:

Not sure which message I read recently in this group, but someone suggested
changing over the wires of the pair.... What effect would this have and is
it worth trying if there are problems with the connection?

I can't imagine it having any effect at all actually.

Graham

Old December 29th 07, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steveybar

I have seen many articles supporting this with evidence, though I am not
going to spend hours trawling to post a link.

If there were many articles then surely you would not have to spend hours
trawling to post a link........

I support the other replies that are saying that switching the pair wires
will have no effect.

What does help line quality is disconnecting the third "ring" wire and
using master sockets on all telephone extensions instead, or better still
separating the circuits so ADSL is only fed where it is needed.

I agree that removing the ring wire may improve line quality, but fitting
more than one master socket should not be encouraged as each master socket
contains a capacitor, and this may 'unbalance' the line.

Steve.

Old December 29th 07, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Devs

In message k, NewsNN
writes
I have seen many articles supporting this with evidence, though I am not
going to spend hours trawling to post a link.

I can see that this would only make a difference if the joints were
"dodgy" in the first place. Remaking the joints would improve things,
not the actual swapping over.
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"
Old December 29th 07, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Devs wrote:

NewsNN writes

I have seen many articles supporting this with evidence, though I am not
going to spend hours trawling to post a link.

I can see that this would only make a difference if the joints were
"dodgy" in the first place. Remaking the joints would improve things,
not the actual swapping over.

Now there's a good explanation.

Just seen that suggested in another group as to why some people apparently
believe that pricey 'Monster' style hi-fi interconnects 'sound better'. It
was probably just the case that the connection needed cleaning and
tightening.

Graham

Old December 29th 07, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

steveybar wrote:

I have seen many articles supporting this with evidence, though I am not
going to spend hours trawling to post a link.

If there were many articles then surely you would not have to spend hours
trawling to post a link........

I support the other replies that are saying that switching the pair wires
will have no effect.

What does help line quality is disconnecting the third "ring" wire and
using master sockets on all telephone extensions instead, or better still
separating the circuits so ADSL is only fed where it is needed.

I agree that removing the ring wire may improve line quality

ADSL *signal* quality actually. By improving line balance at high frequencies.

, but fitting more than one master socket should not be encouraged as each
master socket
contains a capacitor, and this may 'unbalance' the line.

No, it doesn't do that. However, it's rarely necessary AIUI. Most phones have
their own internal ring circuit and don't need the ring wire. Works that way
for me certainly, the green ? wire has been disconnected at the master socket
for ages.

Graham

Old December 29th 07, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Keith wrote:
Not sure which message I read recently in this group, but someone
suggested changing over the wires of the pair.... What effect would
this have and is it worth trying if there are problems with the
connection?

Keith

I saw those posts too.
I am not going to call anyone who clams swapping the wires round
makes a difference a liar, but all I can say is I can't see any obvious
reason
why it should. The RF signal to/from the DSLAM is balanced and
not polarised in any way. ADSL is quite happy to work in the
absence of a connection to the PSTN and its battery feed, in fact ther
is good reason for it to work better in this condition.

There is of course a convention for connecting a phone line
in the correct polarity, the A wire +ve and the B wire -ve,
or to be pedantic A=0v and B=-50v and A should go to pin 5
and B to pin 2 on each socket but even this is often neglected
and won't make any difference in the vast majority of cases
if it is reversed, the approval of most equipment dictates it
should be immune to this. I can however point to cases where
it did matter but this has no baring on what we are discussing here.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old December 30th 07, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steveybar

, but fitting more than one master socket should not be encouraged as
each
master socket
contains a capacitor, and this may 'unbalance' the line.

No, it doesn't do that. However, it's rarely necessary AIUI. Most phones
have
their own internal ring circuit and don't need the ring wire. Works that
way
for me certainly, the green ? wire has been disconnected at the master
socket
for ages.

Graham

What do you mean by 'No, it doesn't do that' - contain a capacitor? or
unbalance a line?

Each Master Socket contains a capacitor, and each PSTN lines' impedance
matching is based on just one line socket capacitor at the customers end of
the line.

If this isn't the case, why then is it the norm for just 1 master socket and
all additional sockets to be slaves (no capacitor)

Steve.