Problems getting ip address from Sky Broadband router

Old December 30th 07, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

Default Problems getting ip address from Sky Broadband router

Hi,

Just signed up to Sky Broadband. They've given me the black Sagem
router.

I am having terrible problems getting machines to connect to it; it
just seems very reluctant to give out ip addresses. Here's the results
so far;

My main win2K server. Will not ever get an ip address via DHCP using
either the wired connection or a wireless card I temporarlily
installed. It works fine if I set an address up manually. I can live
with this.

XBox 360. Works most, but not all of the time. Diagnotsics when it
doesn't shows it didn't get an ip address.

Work laptop. Win XP Pro works first time every time whether wireless
or cable.

Son 1 laptop. Win XP home, Never, ever gets an ip address via wireless

Son 2 laptop. Vista, works most of the time via wireless.

Second Win XP home machine. Never, ever gets an ip address via
wireless.

Looking at the router set up there seems to be no reason why it can't
issue any one of the usual 252 odd addresses for a /24....it just
doesn't all the time.

Any ideas?

Cheers

norm

PS. When it does work it works very well.
Old December 30th 07, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Any ideas?

http://www.skyuser.co.uk might have come across it before...

The only other thing I can think of is whether you have any firewall
software ignoring the new internal IP range ?!?

Can you get a list of attached devices within the router config ?
Old January 4th 08, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 22:54:45 -0000, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

Any ideas?

http://www.skyuser.co.uk might have come across it before...

The only other thing I can think of is whether you have any firewall
software ignoring the new internal IP range ?!?

Can you get a list of attached devices within the router config ?

The devices that didn't work weren't showing as connected devices.
Anyway, I got to the bottom of it.

Elder son had managed to enter the WAP password incorrectly twice
(probably all in lower case). It's interesting that the laptop didn't
show an error in connection; it's just sat there for a week "acquiring
ip address". I suppose it's reasonable for the router not to give it
an ip address if it won't authenticate :-)

Second Win XP home machine. Never, ever gets an ip address via
wireless. This looks like a poor implementation of 802.11G by the
Belkin wireless adaptor. I have always had trouble with Belkin gear; I
should have binned it months ago. Anyway, forcing it to connect in B,
not G mode cured the problem. Although this drops the speed to 11Mb/s,
it's only 4Mb/s up the internet pipe anyway, so no loss there. It is
simple to force the connection into B mode if you use the Belkin GUI
to configure it but I coudn't see a way of doing it if Windows was
managing the wireless network connection.

Cheers

Norm