NTL tricks

Old January 2nd 08, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
halfanorange

Default NTL tricks

I used to be with NTL Freedom Dialup. They were trying to get people
to switch to their broadband service. I noticed that around that time
the service started declining. Certain websites couldn't be accessed
on a permanent basis, I'd get a timed out error. I felt like the
service was almost unusable.

I switched to NTL ADSL and all these problems went away and I could
use this sites again. Now Virgin have bought NTL and I got letters
advertising Virgin broadband which I've ignored. Recently the problems
I had on NTL dialup have suddenly appeared again, certain websites
can't be reached. There's a particular website I use daily that I have
this problem with, I've found if I reboot my modem I can reach the
website but 10 minutes later I can't connect, this seems very
unusual.

Recently I had an email from Virgin saying my NTL package is coming to
an end with an offer of switching to another package. I've agreed to
switch because it is a good deal. But I'm wondering if NTL/Virgin like
to reduce the quality of service in order to get people to switch to
another service?
Old January 2nd 08, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"halfanorange" wrote in message
[...]

I went down exactly the same path and ended up on the 19.99 per month
virgin (adsl) package and there were a lot of ups and downs with connection
speeds, there being more downs than ups. When it started to get as low as
150kbps and only rarely anywhere near 3.5mbps with the average around
1100kbps on a 7mbps profile I gave up and migrated. Now get between 6500 &
7100 kbps and keeping my fingers crossed.

Old January 2nd 08, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

[...]

i'm not convinced that staying with a supplier that is giving you a poor
service for little money is a good deal, personally i'd rather pay more to
get a service which i am happy with. from what i read it seems the
virgin/ntl service is different around the country, with some areas getting
good service, and others getting poor. it seems you are in the second group,
and short of moving house its unlikely to change just by taking up a new 12
month contract, check samknows (exchange info) thinkbroadband and dslzone
for alternatives which may cost more, but will deliver more.

Old January 2nd 08, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

halfanorange wrote:

Now Virgin have bought NTL

No.

NTL bought the Virgin Mobile actually and got the rights to use the name.

Graham

Old January 2nd 08, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BigGirlsBlouse

[...]

I too am on NTL dialup service.... but like you I have been given notice to
quit in March 08.
I am busy looking who to go with, but if truth be known the freedom service
especially the call package which if used to the maximum meant your internet
connection was free... as you know mobiles, international calls, 0898, 0845
were all included in the package..however when I worked it out I am (with
BT's line rental) paying about 27 per month.

I am still looking who to go with...but one way or another I am stuck with
BT lines and the limitations on speed which I reckon is expected to be no
better than 2mb/sec.
....and like you I thought Virgin had taken over NTL...and triggered off a
mass of emails giving the back ground behind the takeover... see the thread
starting with me on the 15/12/07

I have never met a site I could not access with NTL Freedom though... which
one is that?

Old January 3rd 08, 12:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I used to be with NTL Freedom Dialup. They were trying to get people
to switch to their broadband service. I noticed that around that time
the service started declining. Certain websites couldn't be accessed
on a permanent basis, I'd get a timed out error. I felt like the
service was almost unusable.

I may be wrong on this, but NTL had a "known" problem with DNS servers
a couple of years ago, and the workaround was to install your own DNS
(Treewalk springs to mind)

http://ntcanuck.com/

"ntl dns treewalk" in google gets quite a few hits...
Old January 3rd 08, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

In message
at 22:47:04 on Wed, 2 Jan 2008, BigGirlsBlouse wrote
I too am on NTL dialup service.... but like you I have been given notice to
quit in March 08.

I've been given that date too. Will all email addresses stop working
after that date? 3 months to switch some things over isn't that long.
e.g. I needed to contact nominet about my domain a couple of months ago,
and they said they would send the info to the email address I registered
it with - which was my ntlworld account. Had that been shut down things
wouldn't have been as easy as they were!
--
Mike News
Old January 3rd 08, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

BigGirlsBlouse wrote:
[...]

0898, they've not been around for many many years.

--
Worried about debt?
http://www.cccs.co.uk

Old January 3rd 08, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

"Mike" S wrote in message
In message
at 22:47:04 on Wed, 2 Jan 2008, BigGirlsBlouse wrote
I too am on NTL dialup service.... but like you I have been given notice
quit in March 08.

I've been given that date too. Will all email addresses stop working
after that date? 3 months to switch some things over isn't that long.
e.g. I needed to contact nominet about my domain a couple of months ago,
and they said they would send the info to the email address I registered
it with - which was my ntlworld account. Had that been shut down things
wouldn't have been as easy as they were!

Yet another example of why it's better to register your own domain, rather
than rely on an ISP email address.

Old January 4th 08, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

halfanorange wrote:
Now Virgin have bought NTL

Actually, NTL bought Virgin (mobile & broadband) plus the virgin name.