Whos who for broadband ?

Old January 3rd 08, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

Default Whos who for broadband ?

I'm a low internet user and am after a good quality cheapish provider ?

Currently using wanadoo/orange which is not very good.

So fair Tiscali look like a good choice for £12.99 and that has £6.49 for
first 3 months.

Anyone spotted any good deals out there ?

I download very little so looking for something cheap and cheerful

Thanks

Old January 3rd 08, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank Incense

"James" wrote in message
I'm a low internet user and am after a good quality cheapish provider ?

Currently using wanadoo/orange which is not very good.

So fair Tiscali look like a good choice for £12.99 and that has £6.49 for
first 3 months.

Anyone spotted any good deals out there ?

I download very little so looking for something cheap and cheerful

Thanks

O2 (esp if you have an O2 mobile)

Old January 3rd 08, 01:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I'm a low internet user and am after a good quality cheapish provider ?
Currently using wanadoo/orange which is not very good.
I download very little so looking for something cheap and cheerful

If you have Sky, their broadband packages are cheap (you pay your
phone bill to Sky, line rental to BT still as normal) and i've had
very few problems in the ~9 months i've been with them.

The packages range from free, £5 and £10 (the £10 package offers up to
16Mbit and has no "official" cap). "Bought in" (see below) provision
may cost more, i'm not sure...

One proviso in this is that it might be worth looking elsewhere if
your exchange is not LLU enabled (which is where their equipment
handles the broadband). Non-LLU enabled exchange customers are put on
a "bought in" service which is generally regarded as crap.

http://www.samknows.com will let you search for your exchange - enter
your phone number and it'll tell you the exchange - then check the
details for the exchange via the link it gives.
Old January 3rd 08, 02:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark BR

?
Currently using wanadoo/orange which is not very good.

So fair Tiscali look like a good choice for £12.99 and that has £6.49
for first 3 months.

Anyone spotted any good deals out there ?

I download very little so looking for something cheap and cheerful

Thanks

Plusnet for £10 per month - high speed but only 1 gig a month at that price.

--
MarkBR

Old January 3rd 08, 02:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

James,
There is no one better then www.Plus.Net for low to medium internet users.
For just £9.99 you get up to 8Mb/s with 1Gb usage included, additional 1Gb
is £0.75.
They even give you first month free, 90 days money guarantee and free 1 port
router.
They have won several awards for customer service, and have knowledgeable
people manning
std. geographic line and email.
These days they are owned by BT, and while run quite separately, they are
unlikely to go bust or be swallowed
by some other ISP.
I have been with them over 4 years now, and can't fault them.
If you are feeling generous please use my ID "wester" as a referrer when
signing up, it would save me
25p / m while we are both still with them.
Thanks, regards,
Martin

Old January 3rd 08, 05:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

James wrote:

I'm a low internet user and am after a good quality cheapish provider ?

Currently using wanadoo/orange which is not very good.

So fair Tiscali look like a good choice for £12.99 and that has £6.49 for
first 3 months.

My neighbour also has similar requirements, uses Tiscali on a similar package
and is quite happy with them. They may be a good choice in your case where
you're looking for a low price.

Graham

Old January 3rd 08, 05:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Mark BR wrote:

James wrote:
I'm a low internet user and am after a good quality cheapish provider
?
Currently using wanadoo/orange which is not very good.

So fair Tiscali look like a good choice for £12.99 and that has £6.49
for first 3 months.

Anyone spotted any good deals out there ?

I download very little so looking for something cheap and cheerful

Plusnet for £10 per month - high speed but only 1 gig a month at that price.

That's the fly in that particular ointment.

Graham

Old January 3rd 08, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
[...]

thanks for that made interesting reading.

My postcode come up as LSTUL

never really had good broadband service. sky sound good enough. Will go an
have a ready on their site.

Thanks all and Colin

Old January 3rd 08, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HVS

On 03 Jan 2008, Eeyore wrote

Mark BR wrote:

James wrote:
I'm a low internet user and am after a good quality cheapish
provider ?
Currently using wanadoo/orange which is not very good.

So fair Tiscali look like a good choice for £12.99 and that
has £6.49 for first 3 months.

Anyone spotted any good deals out there ?

I download very little so looking for something cheap and
cheerful

Plusnet for £10 per month - high speed but only 1 gig a month
at that price.

That's the fly in that particular ointment.

Horses and courses, though: 1 gig is plenty for e-mail, surfing, and
the occasional downloading of a song now and then.

(My sister-in-law is using one of the 3 mobile modems -- £10 for 1GB
-- for e-mail and surfing; I don't think she's managed to use over
100MB a month, let alone a GB.)

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Old January 3rd 08, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

HVS wrote:

Eeyore wrote
Mark BR wrote:
James wrote:

I'm a low internet user and am after a good quality cheapish
provider ?
Currently using wanadoo/orange which is not very good.

So fair Tiscali look like a good choice for £12.99 and that
has £6.49 for first 3 months.

Anyone spotted any good deals out there ?

I download very little so looking for something cheap and
cheerful

Plusnet for £10 per month - high speed but only 1 gig a month
at that price.

That's the fly in that particular ointment.

Horses and courses, though: 1 gig is plenty for e-mail, surfing, and
the occasional downloading of a song now and then.

(My sister-in-law is using one of the 3 mobile modems -- £10 for 1GB
-- for e-mail and surfing; I don't think she's managed to use over
100MB a month, let alone a GB.)

Do more than very occasional watching video online such as BBC news, or
youtube etc and 1GB won't last long though

Graham