BT Fusion Subnet Confusion

Old January 3rd 08, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
geffers

Default BT Fusion Subnet Confusion

Recently I have been trying to sort out some local sharing on a
colleague's work network.

They have BT business broadband and one desktop connected via ethernet
cable and,currently, one laptop connected via WiFi; all internet
access working fine.

Neither computer could see each other and on investigation I found the
router has an address of 192.168.1.254, the desktop (XP) has
192.168.1.64 but for some reason the laptop (Vista) has the address of
192.168.174.64

I have searched the router's configuration page and cannot see how it
got 174.64

I appreciate that there are different set ups for the wired and wifi
section but I cannot see anything that suggests a DHCP issued address
within the range of 192.168.174 rather than 192.168.1

Any clues appreciated.

Geoff Lane
Old January 3rd 08, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"geffers" wrote in message
[...]

The *first* thing that occurs to me is the laptop might have connected
itself to somebody elses router!
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old January 3rd 08, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"geffers" wrote in message
Recently I have been trying to sort out some local sharing on a
colleague's work network.

They have BT business broadband and one desktop connected via ethernet
cable and,currently, one laptop connected via WiFi; all internet
access working fine.

Neither computer could see each other and on investigation I found the
router has an address of 192.168.1.254, the desktop (XP) has
192.168.1.64 but for some reason the laptop (Vista) has the address of
192.168.174.64

I have searched the router's configuration page and cannot see how it
got 174.64

I appreciate that there are different set ups for the wired and wifi
section but I cannot see anything that suggests a DHCP issued address
within the range of 192.168.174 rather than 192.168.1

Any clues appreciated.

What is the subnet mask?

--
Graham J

Old January 3rd 08, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
geffers

On Jan 3, 7:46 pm, "Graham." wrote:
"geffers" wrote in message

Recently I have been trying to sort out some local sharing on a
colleague's work network.

Neither computer could see each other and on investigation I found the
router has an address of 192.168.1.254, the desktop (XP) has
192.168.1.64 but for some reason the laptop (Vista) has the address of
192.168.174.64

The *first* thing that occurs to me is the laptop might have connected
itself to somebody elses router!

Yes, I suspected that also but both computers show up on the router's
summary page, I appear to be able to edit the address for the wired
desktop but no option appears for the laptop.

I am baffled.

Geoff Lane
Old January 3rd 08, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
geffers

On Jan 3, 8:08 pm, "Graham J" wrote:
"geffers" wrote in message

Recently I have been trying to sort out some local sharing on a
colleague's work network.

I have searched the router's configuration page and cannot see how it
got 174.64

What is the subnet mask?

255.255.255.0

Geoff Lane
Old January 3rd 08, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"geffers" wrote in message
[...]

Did the laptop use DHCP to get the address or was it previously hardcoded?
Try the 'dos' command ipconfig /renew and see if you get a new address.
Does the Wifi network have a name which you can be sure is not being used by
your neighbour? (Assuming that there are neighbours nearby)

--
Michael Chare

Old January 3rd 08, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
"geffers" wrote in message
[...]

Switch off the router and see if the laptop still gets an IP address. Check
with:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

If it does, traceroute to a popular website such as www.bbc.co.uk and see
how the traffic travels.

What make of router is it? There is no reason why the router should not
contain two DHCP servers, i.e. a separate one for the wireless network. I'm
sure I've seen a router where the DHCP service for the wired network can be
disabled, but not for the wireless network - can't now remember what the
make was ...

--
Graham

Old January 4th 08, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Michael Chare wrote:

Recently I have been trying to sort out some local sharing on a
colleague's work network.

Did the laptop use DHCP to get the address or was it previously hardcoded?

I'm not too familiar with Vista but it looks like addresses assigned
automatically.

Try the 'dos' command ipconfig /renew and see if you get a new address.

I tried that when I gave it a static address within the 192.168.1.0
range but then it would connect at all, went back to auto assign and it
got 192.168.174.64 again.

Does the Wifi network have a name which you can be sure is not being
used by your neighbour? (Assuming that there are neighbours nearby)

Nothing residential within 400 yards and almost certainly no other
business user within same distance.

Geoff Lane

Old January 4th 08, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Graham J wrote:

Recently I have been trying to sort out some local sharing on a
colleague's work network.

Switch off the router and see if the laptop still gets an IP address. Check
with:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

I'm not at work for a couple of days now so will try that when I return
although I did do ipconfig /renew when I tried a static IP address.

What make of router is it?

BT badged device

There is no reason why the router should not
contain two DHCP servers, i.e. a separate one for the wireless network.

I've had a good look at the router's config pages and can find no
indication of anything other than 192.168.1 being issued.

Geoff Lane
Old January 4th 08, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Devs

In message , Geoff Lane
writes
I tried that when I gave it a static address within the 192.168.1.0
range but then it would connect at all, went back to auto assign and it
got 192.168.174.64 again.

That is weird. Is it getting assigned an IPv6 address?
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"