Wireless Network

Old January 4th 08, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PC_User6234

Default Wireless Network

Hi this is my first poste on this site and mind me if I dont understand
everything but I have a problem with my home network.

We have 3 pieces of hardware connected to the internet, an xbox 360
(wireless), an XP OS (wireless), and a Vista OS (wired).

They all hook up to an access point (router) before the modom. The
problem is that the two wireless ones dont work. The router model is the
"Linksys 802.11b".

When I try to connect the XP OS (which has a Linksys wmp54g wireless
card) to the internet it says that it can connect to the access point
but that the access point cannot connect to the internet. If I click the
repair button it stalls on finding an IP address. When trying to connect
with the 360 it also stalls at IP address.

Any help will be welcome, and also this problem is spotty, every now
and then it works out of no where, i just leave the room come back and
its working.

Thanks - Alex

View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=36108
http://www.wirelessforums.org

Old January 4th 08, 02:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Linker3000

PC_User6234 wrote:

[Stuff]

Sorry,

You seem to have got out on the wrong floor.

try: uk.comp.home-networking

One floor down, first on the left.

Old January 4th 08, 02:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Linker3000 wrote:
PC_User6234 wrote:

[Stuff]

Sorry,

You seem to have got out on the wrong floor.

try: uk.comp.home-networking

One floor down, first on the left.

....and not going through some 3rd party website to access newsgroups?

--
Worried about debt?
http://www.cccs.co.uk

Old January 4th 08, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
acdeag

"PC_User6234" wrote in message

[...]

Good place to start maybe to do a factory reset of the router, then set up
the security again etc. Has worked for me a number of times.

It could be time for a new router, I had a Linksys that refused to give out
any IP addresses despite everything I did. Bought a new one and had no
problems. You would be better off with a new one it would at least be
802.11g which should be faster.

Old January 4th 08, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Telephoneman

"acdeag" wrote in message
"PC_User6234" wrote in
message ...

[...]

If you are willing to change hardware you might consider replacing the
seperate modem and router with a combined modem/router which you'll probably
find easier to set up.

Old January 7th 08, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Michael Chare

[...]

If it sometimes works, then maybe something is interfering with the
wireless network.

Are you able to co locate the router and one of the wireless devices and
switch off anying that might cause interference?
Also uk.telecom.broadband is a more relevant ng as it tends to include home
networking.

--
Michael Chare

Old January 7th 08, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
"PC_User6234" wrote in
message ...

[...]

If the Xbox can't get an IP address, is the router DHCP server switched
on?

Also why is the Xbox asking for an access point? Does it have a router
option?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com