New phone line for broadband query

Old January 4th 08, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bigblue

Default New phone line for broadband query

Hopefully someone can advise..

I've just took over a shop premises which has a phone line installed,
but I have no idea who the previous line connection was through (it's
not BT) - BT unhelpfully won't give the information out either and want
a large wad of money to connect it. The previous shop owner has gone
walkabout too, so I obviously can't ask them!

So my question is - is there a way I can find out somewhere who the
line connection is through (I have the previous phone number) as I
urgently need to get a broadband connection added?

Thx

--
bigblue
Old January 4th 08, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

bigblue wrote:
Hopefully someone can advise..

I've just took over a shop premises which has a phone line installed,
but I have no idea who the previous line connection was through (it's
not BT) - BT unhelpfully won't give the information out either and want
a large wad of money to connect it. The previous shop owner has gone
walkabout too, so I obviously can't ask them!

So my question is - is there a way I can find out somewhere who the
line connection is through (I have the previous phone number) as I
urgently need to get a broadband connection added?

Is the phone line active? If not, its irrelevant - whoever is the
provider will charge you to reconnect, so find the addresses of all the
local providers and determine the lowest cost.

If the line /is/ active, phone 100 and ask who the heck they are...

By the way if its not a BT line, then there's only a small number of
other providers of the actual copper, and in most locations there are no
alternatives to BT. Are you /sure/ its not a BT line?