TalkTalk News Server

Old January 5th 08, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

Default TalkTalk News Server

I have been toying with the idea of halving my phone/broadband bill by going
to TalkTalk - I know, but I am a low user and have a number of friends who
have gone to them only one of whom had problems, and that was personally
sorted out by Charles Dunstone.

Anyway, the only thing I was concerned about was that I understood they did
not have usenet access and I have been looking at freebie news servers
(Motzarella is favourite at the moment).

The other day, however, I opened a command prompt and typed in Ping
news.talktalk.net and was surprised firstly to see it actually ping
news.opaltelecom.net on 62.24.224.34 and secondly to get a reply.

Today I pinged but the request timed out. Can anyone throw any light on
this please. Do TalkTalk now have a news server (albeit belonging to
Opaltelecom) and do they now provide a usenet facility?
--
Keith Willcocks

Old January 5th 08, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Keith Willcocks wrote:
Today I pinged but the request timed out. Can anyone throw any light on
this please. Do TalkTalk now have a news server (albeit belonging to
Opaltelecom) and do they now provide a usenet facility?

As a side-point, TalkTalk's broadband product is actually Opal Telecoms
network - i.e. they are the same company.
Old January 5th 08, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HVS

On 05 Jan 2008, Keith Willcocks wrote

I have been toying with the idea of halving my phone/broadband
bill by going to TalkTalk - I know, but I am a low user and have
a number of friends who have gone to them only one of whom had
problems, and that was personally sorted out by Charles
Dunstone.

Anyway, the only thing I was concerned about was that I
understood they did not have usenet access and I have been
looking at freebie news servers (Motzarella is favourite at the
moment).

Can't help with your query, but FWIW I've been using albasani.net as
a free (text) news server for many months now; it seems pretty
good.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Old January 5th 08, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

"HVS" wrote in message
On 05 Jan 2008, Keith Willcocks wrote

Can't help with your query, but FWIW I've been using albasani.net as
a free (text) news server for many months now; it seems pretty
good.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

same here, never known it go down, i use it in preference to my isp's server

Old January 5th 08, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Sat, 5 Jan 2008 21:53:12, tony h wrote:

"HVS" wrote in message
. ..
On 05 Jan 2008, Keith Willcocks wrote

Can't help with your query, but FWIW I've been using albasani.net as
a free (text) news server for many months now; it seems pretty
good.

same here, never known it go down, i use it in preference to my isp's server

It looks very sensible. What is retention like there? I didn't spot
that specified (or stated as unspecified) on the site.

Their T&Cs look pretty spot-on.

--
Jim Crowther
Old January 5th 08, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

"Jim Crowther" wrote in message
news
In uk.telecom.broadband, on Sat, 5 Jan 2008 21:53:12, tony h wrote:

"HVS" wrote in message
.. .
On 05 Jan 2008, Keith Willcocks wrote

Can't help with your query, but FWIW I've been using albasani.net as
a free (text) news server for many months now; it seems pretty
good.

same here, never known it go down, i use it in preference to my isp's
server

It looks very sensible. What is retention like there? I didn't spot that
specified (or stated as unspecified) on the site.

Their T&Cs look pretty spot-on.

--
Jim Crowther

no idea, sorry

Old January 5th 08, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Sat, 5 Jan 2008 23:16:30, tony h wrote:

"Jim Crowther" wrote in message
news

--
Jim Crowther

no idea, sorry

I hope you are as sorry for quoting sigs. Please don't.

--
Jim Crowther
Old January 6th 08, 01:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Keith Willcocks wrote:
I have been toying with the idea of halving my phone/broadband bill
by going to TalkTalk - I know, but I am a low user and have a number
of friends who have gone to them only one of whom had problems, and
that was personally sorted out by Charles Dunstone.

Anyway, the only thing I was concerned about was that I understood
they did not have usenet access and I have been looking at freebie
news servers (Motzarella is favourite at the moment).

The other day, however, I opened a command prompt and typed in Ping
news.talktalk.net and was surprised firstly to see it actually ping
news.opaltelecom.net on 62.24.224.34 and secondly to get a reply.

Today I pinged but the request timed out. Can anyone throw any
light on this please. Do TalkTalk now have a news server (albeit
belonging to Opaltelecom) and do they now provide a usenet facility?

I use Motzarella and albasani no problems.

TalkTalk used to have a news-server but it kept falling over, the last time
it fell over a couple of years back or so, they decided they couldn't be
bothered to sort it out.

Hope you have a better time with TalkTalk than I did, worst 2.5 months ever,
glad I managed to escape without charge.

Opal is TalkTalk, CPW bought Opal and then provided TalkTalk broadband.

--
Worried about debt?
http://www.cccs.co.uk

Old January 6th 08, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HVS

On 05 Jan 2008, Jim Crowther wrote

wrote:

"HVS" wrote in message
On 05 Jan 2008, Keith Willcocks wrote

Can't help with your query, but FWIW I've been using
albasani.net as a free (text) news server for many months now;
it seems pretty good.

same here, never known it go down, i use it in preference to my
isp's server

It looks very sensible. What is retention like there? I didn't
spot that specified (or stated as unspecified) on the site.

Not sure, but doing a quick check on a couple of busy groups I read,
the oldest retrievables are September/October.

So -- guessing -- 3 months-ish?

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Old January 6th 08, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

"Jim Crowther" wrote in message
news
In uk.telecom.broadband, on Sat, 5 Jan 2008 23:16:30, tony h wrote:

"Jim Crowther" wrote in message
news

--
Jim Crowther

no idea, sorry

I hope you are as sorry for quoting sigs. Please don't.

--
Jim Crowther

extremely, soon as i've finished typing this i'm gonna cut off my hands.
(maybe i missed a bit of ng etiquette?)

ps. just realised, if i cut off one hand i'll have nothing to hold the axe
to do the other, so i'll probably not bother it it's all the same....

My new temporary sig, feel free to copy
Two Hand Tony