Check possible broadband speed before signing up

Old January 6th 08, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chris_huh

Default Check possible broadband speed before signing up

Is there a way to check how fast the internet would actually be at my
address before signing up to one. On BTs website there is a checker,
but for other companies you seem to need to have a phone line/number
to check the connection speed. I don't have a phone line and it would
be nice to know the speed before getting one (in case i don't need
one, ie use Virgin, or Bulldog).

Old January 6th 08, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chris_huh

On 6 Jan, 14:47, "Sergeant Stiffy" wrote:
"chris_huh" wrote in message

Is there a way to check how fast the internet would actually be at my
address before signing up to one. On BTs website there is a checker,
but for other companies you seem to need to have a phone line/number
to check the connection speed. I don't have a phone line and it would
be nice to know the speed before getting one (in case i don't need
one, ie use Virgin, or Bulldog).

No.

Brief but to the point, thanks, i will have to just choose one.

Cheers
Old January 6th 08, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sergeant Stiffy

"chris_huh" wrote in message

Is there a way to check how fast the internet would actually be at my
address before signing up to one. On BTs website there is a checker,
but for other companies you seem to need to have a phone line/number
to check the connection speed. I don't have a phone line and it would
be nice to know the speed before getting one (in case i don't need
one, ie use Virgin, or Bulldog).

No.

Brief but to the point, thanks, i will have to just choose one.

Cheers

Have a read on these forums before you make a choice.
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk

Old January 6th 08, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

chris_huh wrote:
Is there a way to check how fast the internet would actually be at my
address before signing up to one. On BTs website there is a checker,
but for other companies you seem to need to have a phone line/number
to check the connection speed.

BT do a postcode-based checker which will tell you approximately what
you could expect from any company who provided ADSL via a BT line.

I don't have a phone line and it would
be nice to know the speed before getting one (in case i don't need
one, ie use Virgin, or Bulldog).

If you're getting ADSL you /need/ a phone line. The actual performance
of this line can only be determined once its in place I'm afraid !

Note that even after all that, the *actual* performance will depend on
your chosen ISP's backhaul as well as your phone line.

--
Mark McIntyre

CLC FAQ http://c-faq.com/
CLC readme: http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt
Old January 6th 08, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Custard

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 15:35:26 +0000, Mark McIntyre
wrote:

chris_huh wrote:
Is there a way to check how fast the internet would actually be at my
address before signing up to one. On BTs website there is a checker,
but for other companies you seem to need to have a phone line/number
to check the connection speed.

BT do a postcode-based checker which will tell you approximately what
you could expect from any company who provided ADSL via a BT line.

Yes and BT told me I should be able to get a 6 meg service
4 days after my BT service started their speedchecker and distance
checker surprisingly changed to say I could only get a 3 meg service

I don't have a phone line and it would
be nice to know the speed before getting one (in case i don't need
one, ie use Virgin, or Bulldog).

If you're getting ADSL you /need/ a phone line. The actual performance
of this line can only be determined once its in place I'm afraid !

Even then you wont get the truth

Old January 6th 08, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"chris_huh" wrote in message
Is there a way to check how fast the internet would actually be at my
address before signing up to one. On BTs website there is a checker,
but for other companies you seem to need to have a phone line/number
to check the connection speed. I don't have a phone line and it would
be nice to know the speed before getting one (in case i don't need
one, ie use Virgin, or Bulldog).

Virgin, yes but I don't think Bulldog do their own subscriber lines now (if
they ever did).

George

Old January 6th 08, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chris_huh

On 6 Jan, 15:35, Mark McIntyre wrote:
chris_huh wrote:
[...]

Can i make an estimation based on an 8 meg service will actually give
me 3 (according to BT online checker), so Be's 24 meg service would
give me about 8 (ie a third, a bit like 3/8). Or does it not work that
way?
Old January 6th 08, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chris_huh

On 6 Jan, 17:33, "George Weston"
wrote:
"chris_huh" wrote in message

Is there a way to check how fast the internet would actually be at my
address before signing up to one. On BTs website there is a checker,
but for other companies you seem to need to have a phone line/number
to check the connection speed. I don't have a phone line and it would
be nice to know the speed before getting one (in case i don't need
one, ie use Virgin, or Bulldog).

Virgin, yes but I don't think Bulldog do their own subscriber lines now (if
they ever did).

George

Bulldog do their own phoneline (apparently), it is still and phone
line like bt, you can just sign up at the same time as signing up for
internet, is all i meant. As opposed to getting the phone line first
then getting the internet.
Old January 6th 08, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"chris_huh" wrote in message
On 6 Jan, 17:33, "George Weston"
wrote:
"chris_huh" wrote in message

Is there a way to check how fast the internet would actually be at my
address before signing up to one. On BTs website there is a checker,
but for other companies you seem to need to have a phone line/number
to check the connection speed. I don't have a phone line and it would
be nice to know the speed before getting one (in case i don't need
one, ie use Virgin, or Bulldog).

Virgin, yes but I don't think Bulldog do their own subscriber lines now
(if
they ever did).

George

Bulldog do their own phoneline (apparently), it is still and phone
line like bt, you can just sign up at the same time as signing up for
internet, is all i meant. As opposed to getting the phone line first
then getting the internet.

It will still be a line provided by BT.
Other ISPs do similar - i.e. run their own phone service - but they still
have to get BT to install the line - and pass the cost on to you.
Virgin (or some of the other small cable companies) is the only exception,
as they provide you with a co-ax connection from their nearest roadside box.
Cable is only available in the larger conurbations - check to see if it's
available in your area.
If it isn't, you'll have to have a BT line provided, either directly by BT
or via another phone provider/ISP.

George