Linksys WAG54G Loses Ethernet Connections

Old January 6th 08, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Linksys WAG54G Loses Ethernet Connections

My daughter's Linksys WAG54G appears to have lost its ethernet connections.

I needed to adjust some settings for her and connected my ethernet cable
to it, it showed nothing. This cable connects to my own device fine.

Naturally I tried all 4 ports, all to no avail, tried a different
ethernet cable and this too didn't work.

Strange thing is the wifi part of the Linksys is working fine.

Has anyone else heard of anything similar.

Geoff Lane

Old January 6th 08, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:35:54, Geoff Lane wrote:

My daughter's Linksys WAG54G appears to have lost its ethernet connections.

I needed to adjust some settings for her and connected my ethernet
cable to it, it showed nothing. This cable connects to my own device
fine.

Naturally I tried all 4 ports, all to no avail, tried a different
ethernet cable and this too didn't work.

Strange thing is the wifi part of the Linksys is working fine.

Has anyone else heard of anything similar.

I've had that happen to a couple of routers - I assume you've tried
re-booting it?

--
Jim Crowther
Old January 6th 08, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordy

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
My daughter's Linksys WAG54G appears to have lost its ethernet
connections.

I needed to adjust some settings for her and connected my ethernet cable
to it, it showed nothing. This cable connects to my own device fine.

Naturally I tried all 4 ports, all to no avail, tried a different ethernet
cable and this too didn't work.

Strange thing is the wifi part of the Linksys is working fine.

Has anyone else heard of anything similar.

Geoff Lane

Possibly DHCP has been turned off? Try connecting to the router with a
static ip that uses the same subnet as the router.

Gordy

Old January 6th 08, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
geffers

On 6 Jan, 19:49, Jim Crowther -not-
spam.me.uk wrote:
In uk.telecom.broadband, on Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:35:54, Geoff Lane wrote:

My daughter's Linksys WAG54G appears to have lost its ethernet connections.

I've had that happen to a couple of routers - I assume you've tried
re-booting it?

Yes, I have tried a factory reset but no luck, what happened to the
ones you mentioned that lost the ethernet.

Geoff Lane
Old January 6th 08, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xyzzy

My daughter's Linksys WAG54G appears to have lost its ethernet connections.
Naturally I tried all 4 ports, all to no avail, tried a different
ethernet cable and this too didn't work.

Assuming it is not a firmware issue, it could be a problem with the
capacitors against each of the 4 ports. There are some details he

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=749140

Hope that helps.
Old January 6th 08, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xyzzy

Assuming it is not a firmware issue, it could be a problem with the
capacitors against each of the 4 ports. There are some details he

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=749140

PLEASE NOTE: This particular fix is specific to the WAG54G V2.
Old January 6th 08, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
geffers

On 6 Jan, 22:37, xyzzy wrote:
Assuming it is not a firmware issue, it could be a problem with the
capacitors against each of the 4 ports. There are some details he

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=749140

PLEASE NOTE: This particular fix is specific to the WAG54G V2.

Good, that's the one I have. I will read through.

Thanks,

Geoff lane
Old January 6th 08, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

spam.me.uk wrote:
In uk.telecom.broadband, on Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:35:54, Geoff Lane wrote:

My daughter's Linksys WAG54G appears to have lost its ethernet connections.

I've had that happen to a couple of routers - I assume you've tried
re-booting it?

Yes, I have tried a factory reset but no luck, what happened to the
ones you mentioned that lost the ethernet.

Both ones died after local thunderstorms. On one occasion the ethernet
adapter in the local PC died as well, but one that was down 25m of cable
survived. In both cases the wireless still worked. One was an SAR 718
(IIRC) and the other was an ASUS something that was otherwise brilliant.

Now using a cheapo Philips ADSL WIFI modem/router from Tescos that has
better configuration options than most others, and twice the WIFI o/p
power. Recommended if you want a cheap replacement.

--
Jim Crowther
Old January 6th 08, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xyzzy

On Jan 6, 10:39 pm, geffers wrote:
On 6 Jan, 22:37, xyzzy wrote:

Assuming it is not a firmware issue, it could be a problem with the
capacitors against each of the 4 ports. There are some details he

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=749140

PLEASE NOTE: This particular fix is specific to the WAG54G V2.

Good, that's the one I have. I will read through.

Thanks,

Geoff lane

More information on replacing capacitors (with instructions and
photos) can be found he

http://gavinbenda.com.au/2007/05/27/...or-replacement