Netgear DG834

Old January 7th 08, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ForeverArsenal

Default Netgear DG834

Hi
Wonder if someone could advise please.

I use a Netgear dg 834 v3 ethernet **wired router**
which works fine .

A friend wants me to bid the on the sim//same router ie
DG834 which can be used via wireless connection
OR by wired ethernet cable .
He intends useing it ethernet cable wired.

After doing a bit of reading on them (without finding the info i want)
I did find out that in *wireless mode* connection the router does not
work//download as fast as a WIRED connection.

So my question is.

As this router will work wireless OR wired//one or the other, if used wired
by ethernet
cable will it be as fast as my DG834 v3 which only works by cable please ?
or would the option of going wireless affect the wired performance
Thanks.
Baz

Old January 7th 08, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john

?
or would the option of going wireless affect the wired performance
Thanks.
Baz

Surely those giving you the info would say why, or was it just a wild guess.
I find the DG834 is slower on wired than wireless, the v3 has a fault that
Netgear keep trying to fix. On wired, it stores up data and sends a bit,
then slows right down and backs off.
When people give you statements like "oh it's slow" - ask them why, if they
can't tell you - learn to take no notice!

Old January 7th 08, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gotde T Shirt

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 21:03:41 -0000, ForeverArsenal wrote:

[...]

A DG834G can provide both wireless *and* wired PC connections i.e.
simultaneously, with nominal speeds are 54Mbps and 100Mbps respectively.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_adslrouter_dg834g.php
Old January 7th 08, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ForeverArsenal

Hi
Wonder if someone could advise please.

I use a Netgear dg 834 v3 ethernet **wired router**
which works fine .

A friend wants me to bid the on the sim//same router ie
DG834 which can be used via wireless connection
OR by wired ethernet cable .

.................................................. .....

-- "Gotde T Shirt" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 21:03:41 -0000, ForeverArsenal wrote:

A DG834G can provide both wireless *and* wired PC connections i.e.
simultaneously, with nominal speeds are 54Mbps and 100Mbps respectively.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_adslrouter_dg834g.php

Hi Gotde T Shirt,thanks for the link.

As stated I know little about this,as I said in first post
the router he wishes me to bid on for him (he knows less than me)
will do wired or wireless.
From reading the link you gave the way I see it is that if this router
is connected to computer by ethernet cable it will run @ a speed of
100mbps ?.
If used in wireless mode with usb adapter it will run/work @ a speed
of 54mbps,? so not as fast as it will if it's wired by ethernet cat5 cable.

Or have I got it all wrong ?,when I click on *my* LAN it shows speed
of 100mbps,my router is not the DG834g version it's just says DG834
on the bottom.
All I wish to know is if this DG834g is wired with a ethernet cable to the
computer as mine is, will it work//run @ the same speed as mine ie show
100mbps .
Sorry if being bit dim.
Don't like buying for other people but he wants to get connected.

Do need to know by midday 8th as auction ends,so if anyone can
clear this up for me would appreciate.

Thanks.
baz.

Old January 7th 08, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

ForeverArsenal wrote:
Hi
Wonder if someone could advise please.

I use a Netgear dg 834 v3 ethernet **wired router**
which works fine .

A friend wants me to bid the on the sim//same router ie
DG834 which can be used via wireless connection
OR by wired ethernet cable .

.................................................. ....

-- "Gotde T Shirt" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 21:03:41 -0000, ForeverArsenal wrote:

A DG834G can provide both wireless *and* wired PC connections i.e.
simultaneously, with nominal speeds are 54Mbps and 100Mbps respectively.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_adslrouter_dg834g.php

Hi Gotde T Shirt,thanks for the link.

As stated I know little about this,as I said in first post
the router he wishes me to bid on for him (he knows less than me)
will do wired or wireless.
From reading the link you gave the way I see it is that if this router
is connected to computer by ethernet cable it will run @ a speed of
100mbps ?.

Between the router and the PC. yes, nominally. Won't speed up your
internet connection tho. If you have other kit using it as a hub, taht
will be improved tho.

If used in wireless mode with usb adapter it will run/work @ a speed
of 54mbps,?

It may, on a good day with a following wind. In general its about half that.

so not as fast as it will if it's wired by ethernet cat5 cable.

No, but if there are no other machines on the network, who cares?

Or have I got it all wrong ?,when I click on *my* LAN it shows speed
of 100mbps,my router is not the DG834g version it's just says DG834
on the bottom.
All I wish to know is if this DG834g is wired with a ethernet cable to the
computer as mine is, will it work//run @ the same speed as mine ie show
100mbps .

Should do.

Old January 8th 08, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ForeverArsenal

From reading the link you gave the way I see it is that if this router
is connected to computer by ethernet cable it will run @ a speed of
100mbps ?.

Between the router and the PC. yes, nominally. Won't speed up your
internet connection tho. If you have other kit using it as a hub, taht
will be improved tho.

Hi Natural Philosopher.

Many,many thanks for the very quick reply.

Simple and staight foward reply with the
information I wished to know.
Much appreciated.

Owe you a beer :-)

Thanks.
baz.

Old January 29th 08, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

ForeverArsenal wrote:
[...]

From reading the link you gave the way I see it is that if this router
is connected to computer by ethernet cable it will run @ a speed of
100mbps ?.

Between the router and the PC. yes, nominally. Won't speed up your
internet connection tho. If you have other kit using it as a hub, taht
will be improved tho.

If used in wireless mode with usb adapter it will run/work @ a speed
of 54mbps,?

It may, on a good day with a following wind. In general its about half
that.

so not as fast as it will if it's wired by ethernet cat5 cable.

No, but if there are no other machines on the network, who cares?

### Lots of people. You will find interent downloads slower with a poor
wireless connection as opposed to cat5.

Old January 29th 08, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Mike wrote:
ForeverArsenal wrote:
[...]

From reading the link you gave the way I see it is that if this router
is connected to computer by ethernet cable it will run @ a speed of
100mbps ?.

Between the router and the PC. yes, nominally. Won't speed up your
internet connection tho. If you have other kit using it as a hub, taht
will be improved tho.

If used in wireless mode with usb adapter it will run/work @ a speed
of 54mbps,?

It may, on a good day with a following wind. In general its about half
that.

so not as fast as it will if it's wired by ethernet cat5 cable.

No, but if there are no other machines on the network, who cares?

### Lots of people. You will find interent downloads slower with a poor
wireless connection as opposed to cat5.

I very much doubt it.

Whether my LAN is at 10Mbps or 100Mbps makes **** all difference to my
3Mbps download. Makes a whale of difference loading files off the server
though.