VOIPCheap incoming dial tone.

Old January 9th 08, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

Default VOIPCheap incoming dial tone.

I have set up an incoming number with VoipCheap.co.uk. This connects ok.
However when other people dial this number they do not hear the standard
British ringing tone. I'm using a Linksys spa3102 but it is the same for
the software client.

Is there anyway to fix this. Presumably it is the same for all Betamax
products like VoipCheap.com (which appears to have free uk calls while
the .co.uk version doesn't)

If not are their any recommendations for a voip provider for an incoming
line. I would like to port my BT number and so I'm concerned about
reliability (and maybe the need to port out in future). I would be happy
to pay for a deal with bundled calls like Vonage. Is Vonage reliable?

I would also be ok with using one provider for incoming calls and
another for outgoing.
Old January 9th 08, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Nick wrote on 09/01/2008 :
I have set up an incoming number with VoipCheap.co.uk. This connects ok.
However when other people dial this number they do not hear the standard
British ringing tone. I'm using a Linksys spa3102 but it is the same for the
software client.

Is there anyway to fix this.

Check out this document
http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sipura_uk_regional_settings.pdf

Presumably it is the same for all Betamax
products like VoipCheap.com (which appears to have free uk calls while the
.co.uk version doesn't)

Ring any of mine & you get UK ring tone.

If not are their any recommendations for a voip provider for an incoming
line. I would like to port my BT number and so I'm concerned about
reliability (and maybe the need to port out in future).

Are you on cable broadband? If not, you need the PSTN line for ADSL.

If you're planning on scrapping your BT line, don't forget it often
costs over 100 to get it reconnected.

I would be happy to
pay for a deal with bundled calls like Vonage. Is Vonage reliable?

Damned expensive.

On the device you have, you could have two incoming providers - BT & a
VoIP provider. (ignoring your general ability to increase that by using
something like Voxalot)

You can have considerably more outgoing providers. Read up on SPA3x0x
Gateways

Old January 9th 08, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Jono wrote:
Nick wrote on 09/01/2008 :
[...]

Strange on my VoIPStunt line, callers who call my number get the continental
ringing tone as of all the others I know with Betamax VoIP, yes with the
settings my own phones ring out correctly and I hear the correct tones when
ringing out, but using the number issued by betamax then it's the
continental tone to them, not that anyone's complained other than one or two
have mentioned it - like the old ringing tone when calling the old analogue
mobile phones.

--
Worried about debt?
http://www.cccs.co.uk

Old January 9th 08, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} explained on 09/01/2008 :
Jono wrote:
Nick wrote on 09/01/2008 :
[...]

I have to confess that I do not actually use the ATA directly as I have
an Astersik server.

Asterisk handles the SIP providers.

However, I wasn't fibbing when I said that callers hear UK tones.

.......again, though, I haven't rung myself for aaaaaages to listen...

Old January 9th 08, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Jono wrote:
Nick wrote on 09/01/2008 :
[...]

Strange though, no I didn't think you were fibbing.

--
Worried about debt?
http://www.cccs.co.uk

Old January 9th 08, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Nick wrote:

I have set up an incoming number with VoipCheap.co.uk. This connects ok.
However when other people dial this number they do not hear the standard
British ringing tone. I'm using a Linksys spa3102 but it is the same for
the software client.

Is there anyway to fix this. Presumably it is the same for all Betamax
products like VoipCheap.com (which appears to have free uk calls while
the .co.uk version doesn't)

If not are their any recommendations for a voip provider for an incoming
line. I would like to port my BT number and so I'm concerned about
reliability (and maybe the need to port out in future). I would be happy
to pay for a deal with bundled calls like Vonage. Is Vonage reliable?

Do you have a cable broadband?

If not, and you are running ADSL over your current BT line then this
service will cease when you port the number... In theory, you can
have a new number provisioned on the line, but it's effectively a new
contract, and is prone to having BT pull the plug on the line anyway
(as an associate of mine found out this week)

Gordon
Old January 9th 08, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

Jono wrote:
Nick wrote on 09/01/2008 :
I have set up an incoming number with VoipCheap.co.uk. This connects
ok. However when other people dial this number they do not hear the
standard British ringing tone. I'm using a Linksys spa3102 but it is
the same for the software client.

Is there anyway to fix this.

Check out this document
http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sipura_uk_regional_settings.pdf

Yes I have studied this document. But I'm uncertain what this tone is
called (as you can see form the subject line ;o). Presumably "Ringing
tone"?. I can't find any match in the 3102 settings.

I'm not even sure the 3102 generates the ringing tone, when I switched
to sipgate the ringing tone is the standard UK version.

Presumably it is the same for all Betamax products like VoipCheap.com
(which appears to have free uk calls while the .co.uk version doesn't)

Ring any of mine & you get UK ring tone.

If not are their any recommendations for a voip provider for an
incoming line. I would like to port my BT number and so I'm concerned
about reliability (and maybe the need to port out in future).

Are you on cable broadband? If not, you need the PSTN line for ADSL.

If you're planning on scrapping your BT line, don't forget it often
costs over 100 to get it reconnected.

Due to the poor quality of my BT line (poor voice and ADSL loses sync)
I'm giving VirginMedia cable a try. If VirginMedia cable is OK I will
drop my BT line. I can't see my BT line getting any better before the
21cn pstn rollout which isn't scheduled at my exchange for over two years.

I would be happy to pay for a deal with bundled calls like Vonage. Is
Vonage reliable?

Damned expensive.

If it is reliable, 7.99 a month would be ok for unlimited calls, call
divert, voicemail to email etc...

On the device you have, you could have two incoming providers - BT & a
VoIP provider. (ignoring your general ability to increase that by using
something like Voxalot)

You can have considerably more outgoing providers. Read up on SPA3x0x
Gateways

Yes I have being playing with gateways. I can get VoipCheap working as a
gateway but can't get the Caller Id spoofing working when in this mode.

Thanks for your help.

Old January 9th 08, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Nick wrote:
I have set up an incoming number with VoipCheap.co.uk. This connects ok.
However when other people dial this number they do not hear the standard
British ringing tone. I'm using a Linksys spa3102 but it is the same for
the software client.

Is there anyway to fix this. Presumably it is the same for all Betamax
products like VoipCheap.com (which appears to have free uk calls while
the .co.uk version doesn't)

If not are their any recommendations for a voip provider for an incoming
line. I would like to port my BT number and so I'm concerned about
reliability (and maybe the need to port out in future). I would be happy
to pay for a deal with bundled calls like Vonage. Is Vonage reliable?

Do you have a cable broadband?

I'm trying out cable which is why I want to port.

If not, and you are running ADSL over your current BT line then this
service will cease when you port the number... In theory, you can
have a new number provisioned on the line, but it's effectively a new
contract, and is prone to having BT pull the plug on the line anyway
(as an associate of mine found out this week)

They said they could give me a new number and it would then be OK to
port. But if it were a test of who to trust I suspect I would be leaning
towards your view ;o)

Gordon

Old January 9th 08, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Nick wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:

I'm trying out cable which is why I want to port.

If not, and you are running ADSL over your current BT line then this
service will cease when you port the number... In theory, you can
have a new number provisioned on the line, but it's effectively a new
contract, and is prone to having BT pull the plug on the line anyway
(as an associate of mine found out this week)

They said they could give me a new number and it would then be OK to
port. But if it were a test of who to trust I suspect I would be leaning
towards your view ;o)

In this case, BT actually assigned a new number to the line and the
broadband kept on going, and the old number was ported into a VoIP
service and all was fine ... For 2 weeks. Then the ADSL ceased, and it
took them a week to get it live again. (I don't know who the ISP is,
this wasn't one of my clients)

Gordon
Old January 9th 08, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Nick formulated the question :
Yes I have being playing with gateways. I can get VoipCheap working as a
gateway but can't get the Caller Id spoofing working when in this mode.

Courtesy of Mike Sun:

Instead of entering just e.g. sip.voipcheap.com enter
where [phone-number] is one of your
registered numbers with the provider. Thus one is effectively entering
both "User ID" and "Auth ID" in the Gateway setup.

(presumably you leave the [] brackets off)

You may also have to play around with the number - try 01xxxxxxxxx
format and 00441xxxxxxxxx etc.