Cheap WIFI/SIP Handset?

Old January 9th 08, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Walker Moore

Default Cheap WIFI/SIP Handset?

I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.

Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
relying on a PC.
--
Walker Moore
(-_-),,|,
Old January 9th 08, 01:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Gradwell

Walker Moore wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.

Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
relying on a PC.

i think your best bet is the siemens S460, which you can find for 60-80
quid.

(our online sales link: http://store.gradwell.com/s.nl/it.A/id.455/.f)

all the sip/wifi phones are rubbish and expensive (IMO)

cheers
peter

email/web_hosting/business_voip t:01225 800 810
Old January 9th 08, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mr deo

"Walker Moore" wrote in message
I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.

Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
relying on a PC.
--
Walker Moore
(-_-),,|,

Firstly..
Embrase the DECT Revolution.. (Dect Phones are good)
Second, Buy an ATA.

DECT phones actually compress the data and do their own type of VoIP.. I
just wish one of the big manufactures would drop us a ethernet port on the
base units ;(

Old January 9th 08, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Walker Moore" wrote in message
I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.

Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95, I'd
like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing calls
through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find anything decent
on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was hoping to get a
handset that will connect directly through this without relying on a PC.

My advice is don't get a wifi phone.
Instead get them an ATA and connect it to an ordinary DECT cordless phone

I use a Linksys PAP2 with separate DECT bases on the two ports, so we have
two independent lines on the same voipcheap.com account.
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old January 9th 08, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 12:00:02 +0000, Walker Moore
wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.

Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
relying on a PC.

Instead of a SIP/WiFi phone I'd choose an Analogue Telephone Adapter.
Assuming that they wish to keep their current telephone line I would
recommend a Linksys 3102. There are plenty of people on this group
that have these so, despite being a little difficult ot set up, you
should be able to get the right advice on how to proceed. Connect up
the 3102 accordingly and you'll have your SIP and landline calls
together on the same set of standard analogue handsets that currently
exist. It is easiest to do of course with a cordless phone set.
There's a link to broadbandstuff here
http://tinyurl.com/yql5th
There is some sales talk amongst the description but you shoud be able
to get the gist of what it will do. Also try googling for more info.
You'll need to get a converter lead as well to convert from the
connection on the ATA to a BT style socket.
http://tinyurl.com/ynvo5f
No recommendation intended from the links. Just to give you an idea of
the ATA and cost.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old January 9th 08, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Koos van den Hout

mr deo wrote in :

Embrase the DECT Revolution.. (Dect Phones are good)
Second, Buy an ATA.

DECT phones actually compress the data and do their own type of VoIP.. I
just wish one of the big manufactures would drop us a ethernet port on the
base units ;(

Siemens C450 IP.

I have only used it in testing (no hour-long phone conversations, just
short calls to an asterisk script) but it works. Initial voip setup via the
handset can be cumbersome but you can do all the setup via the internal
webserver (they seem to have fixed the javascript problems I saw when I
first tested it).

It indeed has a base with an ethernet port and an analogue line. You can
set up simple dialing rules.

Koos van den Hout

--
Koos van den Hout Homepage: http://idefix.net/~koos/
Fax: +31-30-2817051 PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5
Old January 9th 08, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

mr deo wrote:
I just wish one of the big manufactures would drop us a ethernet port on the
base units ;(

They already have

http://www.provoip.co.uk/c460ip.php

and

http://www.provoip.co.uk/s450ip.php

cheers,
Paul.
Old January 9th 08, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Walker Moore

mr deo wrote:
"Walker Moore" wrote in message
I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap WIFI/SIP handset.

Having only realised the benefits of VOIP after getting my Nokia N95,
I'd like to buy a handset for my parents that they can use for outgoing
calls through voipcheap.com....but I'm really struggling to find
anything decent on the web. They have a ADSL2+/WIFI router, and I was
hoping to get a handset that will connect directly through this without
relying on a PC.
--
Walker Moore
(-_-),,|,

Firstly..
Embrase the DECT Revolution.. (Dect Phones are good)
Second, Buy an ATA.

They did (remember, this is for my parents). They switched to DECT
phones when they first came out in the late 1990s, and have gone through
numerous base & handset upgrades since. Presumably it's not possible to
connect a Siemen's handset through their existing BT Diverse base
station because it needs to plug into an ethernet port on the router?

If they bought a Siemen's base and handset, would their existing BT
Diverse (DECT) handsets be able to connect to the Siemen's base? They
have five handsets (all very much required due to large house, and a
detached workshop on the other side of the garden) and it could be
expensive replacing them all.

Why are dedicated Wifi/VOIP handsets so crappy? VOIP works just great
on my Nokia N95...but that is technically a computer running SymbianOS I
suppose.
--
Walker Moore
(-_-),,|,
Old January 9th 08, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Walker Moore

Walker Moore wrote:
mr deo wrote:
[...]

Hmm, sorry for the reply to self. I've managed to confuse your post and
Grahams (about the Siemens handset). They have a BT Diverse 5250 setup.
I'll have to check the instructions to see how it handles multiple
lines. (It's gotta be intuitive for my folks to use it successfully.)
If it looks simple enough, I'll be the ATA. Thanks for the advice
everybody. =)

--
Walker Moore
(-_-),,|,
Old January 9th 08, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Walker Moore wrote:

If they bought a Siemen's base and handset, would their existing BT
Diverse (DECT) handsets be able to connect to the Siemen's base? They
have five handsets (all very much required due to large house, and a
detached workshop on the other side of the garden) and it could be
expensive replacing them all.

Why are dedicated Wifi/VOIP handsets so crappy? VOIP works just great
on my Nokia N95...but that is technically a computer running SymbianOS I
suppose.

The Siemens base station is GAP compatible so if their current BT
Diverse phones are also GAP compatible then yes they will work.

cheers,
Paul.