Tiscali broadband

Old January 9th 08, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RayL

Default Tiscali broadband

On June 24th I registered with Tiscali for its 20 a month broadband. They
said I would have my modem for the 7th July.

I have made several inquiries and replies, but no modem as yet.

They have recently said my land line will be switched on the 16th of this
month.

Is this typical??

Ray.

Old January 9th 08, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BigGirlsBlouse

"RayL" wrote in message
On June 24th I registered with Tiscali for its 20 a month broadband. They
said I would have my modem for the 7th July.

I have made several inquiries and replies, but no modem as yet.

They have recently said my land line will be switched on the 16th of this
month.

Is this typical??

Ray.

I hope not...I was thinking of going with them!

Old January 9th 08, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:19:26 +0000, RayL wrote:

On June 24th I registered with Tiscali for its 20 a month broadband.
They said I would have my modem for the 7th July.

I have made several inquiries and replies, but no modem as yet.

They have recently said my land line will be switched on the 16th of
this month.

Is this typical??

I think giving them six months is untypically patient. I hope you haven't
been paying them for six months! I would have walked after six weeks,
never mind six months. Perhaps you need to think carefully about whether
you want to stay with them?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
22:23:08 up 4 days, 12:47, 2 users, load average: 1.12, 1.13, 1.14
Old January 9th 08, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invisible Man

alexd wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:19:26 +0000, RayL wrote:

On June 24th I registered with Tiscali for its 20 a month broadband.
They said I would have my modem for the 7th July.

I have made several inquiries and replies, but no modem as yet.

They have recently said my land line will be switched on the 16th of
this month.

Is this typical??

I think giving them six months is untypically patient. I hope you haven't
been paying them for six months! I would have walked after six weeks,
never mind six months. Perhaps you need to think carefully about whether
you want to stay with them?

I left Tiscali a couple of years back after broadband speeds were slower
than dial-up. Took a lot of effort and at least 2 letters to their chief
exec to get away from them. Hopefully they are better now. Have a look
at the forums on thinkbroadband.com and consider whether it is worth
cancelling.

I am with Newnet. Not cheap but I cannot remember ever not being able to
connect. Not sure how their news server is at present. It was so
hopeless a while back I went with Individual.
Old January 9th 08, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh Jampton

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 22:19:26 -0000, RayL wrote:

Is this typical??

Possibly :-)

They went on charging me for 9 months after I'd cancelled my account with
them :-( Nothing I could do stopped them - letters/phone calls/emails etc.

Needless to say I cancelled each payment with my CC company each month -
they got fed up in the end. Seems that many others were affected in the
same way.

Wouldn't deal with them ever again :-(
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old January 9th 08, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

I am with Newnet. Not cheap but I cannot remember ever not being able to
connect. Not sure how their news server is at present. It was so hopeless
a while back I went with Individual.

If the OP intends posting on Usenet either using the Tiscali NNTP server
or a 3rd party one, he should read this thread. My contribution is "Usenet
User"

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old January 9th 08, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Graham." wrote in message

I am with Newnet. Not cheap but I cannot remember ever not being able to
connect. Not sure how their news server is at present. It was so hopeless
a while back I went with Individual.

If the OP intends posting on Usenet either using the Tiscali NNTP server
or a 3rd party one, he should read this thread. My contribution is "Usenet
User"

(this time with the link)
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/show...06#post1884106

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old January 10th 08, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 22:58:30 +0000, Hugh Jampton wrote:

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 22:19:26 -0000, RayL wrote:

Is this typical??

Possibly :-)

They went on charging me for 9 months after I'd cancelled my account with
them :-( Nothing I could do stopped them - letters/phone calls/emails etc.

Needless to say I cancelled each payment with my CC company each month -
they got fed up in the end. Seems that many others were affected in the
same way.

Wouldn't deal with them ever again :-(

In my case it went on for four years.
--

Martin

Old January 12th 08, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RayL

"RayL" wrote in message

------------------------

Thanks for the responses, ppl. It's all positive, then? :-( ..Hicc!

Thanks for the link, Graham. I've added the link to my er, favorites for
further perusal. I can't imagine not being able to post emails, and I
certainly don't fancy web based messaging.

Invisible Man: I will take a look at the link after this is wrote. As
for payment. They haven't asked for any yet, but if I don't have the modem
for Tuesday morning I will stay with BT and have a look at what other
packages are out there. Though 20 a month 8Mg BB, Free rental, and free W/E
and eve calls sounded soooo attractive.

There was one funny moment in all of the post to and from Tiscali over
the last 7 months when I received an email asking me how I was getting on in
trying to acquire a modem. ( I just had another laugh rewriting that)

I emailed them again on the 2nd Jan asking why I am having to wait. I
said if I have no reply before Tuesday I will be informing BT to keep my
line 'live'.

Cheers guys :-)

....Ray.

Old January 12th 08, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RayL

Hi, ppl :-)

Thanks fro the replies.

Thanks for the Site link Invisible Man.

Graham: I added the link to my er, Favorites, though my doubts are growing
now I believe I might not be able to post via NNTP. Webmail is not my cup of
tea. (I used to like my bundled BBS)

As for payments, Tiscali have not charged anything as yet because my line
will not be transferred until the 16th. In the current light I don't feel I
should bother. On the other hand I have always looked for the day when there
was a way to get leave BT because they have never offered me anything apart
from a method to spend more money.

Tiscali offered free line rental, 8Mgb BB, free W/E and Eve calls all for
20 and that was hard to resist. If I make no calls with BT my lowest bill
is 65 a qtr.

In all the correspondence with me and Tiscali there was a laughable moment
when I received an email asking how I was going on acquiring my modem? ( I
just had a good laugh again typing that)

On the 2nd I was told my line will be transferred on the 16th. I informed
them via email that if I don't have a modem by Tuesday morning I will be
telling Bt to keep me 'live'. I do not want to be paying Tiscali for
something I haven't got.

We'll see?

Thanks for the posts, guys..

Cheers