Cable Modems

Old January 10th 08, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
old man

Default Cable Modems

Hi, I see ADSL modems by the score but very few cable modems, only cable
routers why is this?
Is one cable modem any 'better' than another, can the choice of cable modem
improve any connection?
Thanks

Old January 11th 08, 12:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

old man wrote:
Hi, I see ADSL modems by the score but very few cable modems, only cable
routers why is this?

The cable company (and in the UK there's only one) won't let you install
your own modem.

Note that a cable router plugs into a cable modem, whereas many ADSL
modems have routers built into them.

Is one cable modem any 'better' than another, can the choice of cable modem
improve any connection?

Nope - a non-VM cable modem simply won't work.... :-)
Old January 11th 08, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Mark McIntyre" wrote in message
old man wrote:
Hi, I see ADSL modems by the score but very few cable modems, only cable
routers why is this?

The cable company (and in the UK there's only one) won't let you install
your own modem.

My mother-in-law lives in Carlisle and they get cable from
http://www.smallworldmedia.com/defau...?page=about-us so I'm afraid
there isn't just one in the UK.

John

Old January 12th 08, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

old man wrote:
Hi, I see ADSL modems by the score but very few cable modems, only cable
routers why is this?

The cable company (and in the UK there's only one) won't let you install
your own modem.

My mother-in-law lives in Carlisle and they get cable from
http://www.smallworldmedia.com/defau...?page=about-us so I'm afraid
there isn't just one in the UK.

You learn something new every day.

I should have said "in the UK, there's only one mainstream".
Old January 12th 08, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

old man wrote:
Hi, I see ADSL modems by the score but very few cable modems, only
cable routers why is this?
The cable company (and in the UK there's only one) won't let you install
your own modem.

My mother-in-law lives in Carlisle and they get cable from
http://www.smallworldmedia.com/defau...?page=about-us so I'm afraid
there isn't just one in the UK.

You learn something new every day.

I should have said "in the UK, there's only one mainstream".

I'll agree with that mate )

John