ADSL Router Recommendations - Looking for best "access management" features

Old January 10th 08, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
vortex2

Default ADSL Router Recommendations - Looking for best "access management" features

Hi,

As my children have got older I have become more careful about internet
access management. Specifically I want to control times when they do/do not
have access.....and also implement some level of filtering (eg blocking
Messenger at homework time). Also wireless access management

Over the years I have had a number of different ADSL routers. A couple of
years ago I purchased a D Link DSL-G624M which I used for a few months
before determining the management features were frustratingly difficult to
use, and in some cases did not work at all.

Currently I am using .a Linksys WAG300 which is much better, but still less
than flexible.

What I want to achieve is:

IP range blocking according to a 7 day time/date calendar
Port blocking according to a 7 day time/date calendar
Wireless management.

Can anybody recommend a router from other vendors (Netgear/Belkin or
whoever) I should take a look at.

David

Old January 10th 08, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Guy Dawson

Vortex2 wrote:
Hi,

[snip]

IP range blocking according to a 7 day time/date calendar
Port blocking according to a 7 day time/date calendar
Wireless management.

Can anybody recommend a router from other vendors (Netgear/Belkin or
whoever) I should take a look at.

I've not seen time profiles in the standard consumer units I've looked at.

We do have a Sonicwall TZ150 at work which allows the firewall rules to
have time profiles on a 7 day basis. You'll need something like as
Draytek Vigor 100 ADSL modem to connect it to ADSL though as the TZ150
does not have an ADSL port WAN port, only an ethernet one.

Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd

Old January 10th 08, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

Vortex2 wrote:

What I want to achieve is:

IP range blocking according to a 7 day time/date calendar
Port blocking according to a 7 day time/date calendar
Wireless management.

The Netgear DG834T supports 1 time slot on chosen days when the firewall
rules are enforced. These can be for ports and/or IP (internal and external)
ranges.

Wireless can be disabled - globally and individually - but not by schedule.

According to the Draytek website, they support up to 15 different schedules
which can be assigned to relevant filters -
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_...cheduling.html.

Old January 10th 08, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Vortex2 wrote:
[...]

The Draytek range might do a lot of what you require but you may need to go
to something like a Sonicwall firewall as well. In any case expect to do
quite a lot of learning to set it up. This will cost time and money so
perhaps you need to look at another approach.

Peter Crosland

Old January 11th 08, 05:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vortex

The Draytek range might do a lot of what you require but you may need to
go to something like a Sonicwall firewall as well. In any case expect to
do quite a lot of learning to set it up. This will cost time and money so
perhaps you need to look at another approach.

Peter Crosland

Cheers. The "learning" is what bothers me.

I just downloaded the manual for the interesting looking Draytek 2820 and
can see the setup is clearly non-trivial....where Linksys is pretty
intuitive.

Before going further I'm going to investigate the most current Linksys
products more closely (WAG325N).

Old January 11th 08, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
vortex2

"Jon" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
[...]

Draytek Vigor can do all of that. What do you mean by wireless access
management? Any filtering/blocking that you set up will apply to the
wifi as well as the LAN ports. You can use WPA security and MAC
filtering on the wifi side.

--
Regards
Jon

Interestingly with teh WAG300 the IP filtering worked fine with the
WiFi...as you would expect.

But I wanted to make an exception for our Nintendo Wii.....but have had a
nightmare trying to get that to connect on a fixed IP address. A different
problem. I'm sure I'll resolve it in the end.