Need help with wireless modem/router

Old January 10th 08, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Need help with wireless modem/router

Or to be more precise, buying one.

I posted three or four weeks ago saying that my Linksys WAG54GS had died on
the wireless side and I was asking for suggestions for a replacement. I need
QoS functionallity and, because I let my next-door neighbour piggy-back on
my account wirelessly, the wireless connection has to be solid and reliable
(only about 30m and one brick wall apart), because I don't want the
neighbour knocking on the door every two minutes saying that their
connection has dropped.

Unfortunately, the only suggestion at the time was a Netgear DG834GT - but
after downloading the spec. sheet from Netgear, I know that it doesn't do
QoS.

So I'm now hoping that there are some new people reading this and some new
suggestions will come forth 'cos I'm getting desperate now - limping along
on my old BT Voyager 2091 at the mo.

Cheers,

John

Old January 10th 08, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

John wrote:
Or to be more precise, buying one.

I posted three or four weeks ago saying that my Linksys WAG54GS had
died on the wireless side and I was asking for suggestions for a
replacement. I need QoS functionallity and, because I let my
next-door neighbour piggy-back on my account wirelessly, the wireless
connection has to be solid and reliable (only about 30m and one brick
wall apart), because I don't want the neighbour knocking on the door
every two minutes saying that their connection has dropped.

Unfortunately, the only suggestion at the time was a Netgear DG834GT
- but after downloading the spec. sheet from Netgear, I know that it
doesn't do QoS.

So I'm now hoping that there are some new people reading this and
some new suggestions will come forth 'cos I'm getting desperate now -
limping along on my old BT Voyager 2091 at the mo.

Take a look at the Draytek 2800G

Peter Crosland

Old January 10th 08, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

the wireless connection has to be solid and reliable
(only about 30m and one brick wall apart),

Bit of a tall order, the brick wall and 30m.
Might be worth one end at least with a USB adapter
and reflector.
I've had success with various reflectors, best
seems to take the bulbholder and switch out of
an old Anglepoise lamp, then fit a cable grommet
in place of the switch, some brass tube to
thread the USB cable through and support
the adapter.
It's not a true parabola but near enough,
sliding the tube in and out finds a sort of focus.
Reception seems polarised, rotating the tube
peaks the signal.
A Poundland mini-tripod head on the Anglepoise
cast iron base provides az/elev adjustment.
A Google search will reveal many and
wonderful reflector designs, a large plastic
flowerpot and ali kitchen foil is also good.
BBC's Click featured a viable African tin can
reflector network covering long distances
relaying point to point and connecting
isolated communities.
Old January 10th 08, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

John wrote:
Unfortunately, the only suggestion at the time was a Netgear DG834GT
- but after downloading the spec. sheet from Netgear, I know that it
doesn't do QoS.

which, at the time, i told you. (another poster suggested it)

Old January 10th 08, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
John wrote:
[...]

Will do Peter, thanks.

John

Old January 10th 08, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

wrote in message

the wireless connection has to be solid and reliable
(only about 30m and one brick wall apart),

DOH!!! Sorry, my mistake. I haven't got a clue why my finger hit the "3" key
( Actual distance is no more than 20m and probably closer to 15 - can't
even blame it on beer at the time I posted )

We've been successful with the Linksys for over 2 years anyway.

[...]

Cheers Ato,

John

Old January 10th 08, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"tony h" wrote in message
John wrote:
Unfortunately, the only suggestion at the time was a Netgear DG834GT
- but after downloading the spec. sheet from Netgear, I know that it
doesn't do QoS.

which, at the time, i told you. (another poster suggested it)

Quite right, sir. I forgot (

Cheers,

John

Old January 11th 08, 02:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john

"John" wrote in message
Or to be more precise, buying one.

I posted three or four weeks ago saying that my Linksys WAG54GS had died
on the wireless side and I was asking for suggestions for a replacement. I
need QoS functionallity and, because I let my next-door neighbour
piggy-back on my account wirelessly, the wireless connection has to be
solid and reliable (only about 30m and one brick wall apart), because I
don't want the neighbour knocking on the door every two minutes saying
that their connection has dropped.

How stupid are you for letting a neighbour do that. Do you realise that
legally you are responsible for anything they do on your connection? It's
your IP number and subscriber details that will be traced. Your neighbour
will deny all knowledge.

Unfortunately, the only suggestion at the time was a Netgear DG834GT - but
after downloading the spec. sheet from Netgear, I know that it doesn't do
QoS.

Well I have one and it does have QoS. Mine is the version 3.

So I'm now hoping that there are some new people reading this and some new
suggestions will come forth 'cos I'm getting desperate now - limping along
on my old BT Voyager 2091 at the mo.

Why change it if it works. If you just want one with QoS then I don't think
you understand what it is. It's not the same as packet shaping or
preference and it wouldn't work with two PCs at the same time. It will not
split the connection between you to give equal use or anything. The only
way to do that is have your neighbour hook up to your PC and run cfosspeed.
That will ensure equal use and give priority to web browsing and email
before P2P.

Cheers,

John

Old January 11th 08, 08:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony h

john wrote:

Well I have one and it does have QoS. Mine is the version 3.

sure yours isnt 834G v3 (which may have qos) not 834GT (which doesnt)?
different chipset inside, different functionality, 834 has qos, though i'm
not sure if its accessable from the interface (192..). totally different
firmware also.

Old January 11th 08, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"john" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
Or to be more precise, buying one.

I posted three or four weeks ago saying that my Linksys WAG54GS had died
on the wireless side and I was asking for suggestions for a replacement.
I need QoS functionallity and, because I let my next-door neighbour
piggy-back on my account wirelessly, the wireless connection has to be
solid and reliable (only about 30m and one brick wall apart), because I
don't want the neighbour knocking on the door every two minutes saying
that their connection has dropped.

How stupid are you for letting a neighbour do that. Do you realise that
legally you are responsible for anything they do on your connection? It's
your IP number and subscriber details that will be traced. Your neighbour
will deny all knowledge.

My next-door neighbours are rather decent people. He is 79-years old, she is
84 and are very light users, mainly just emails/Skype to relatives around
the world. I just didn't think it was worth all the hassle and expense of
them setting up their own account for such light use so I allow them to
piggy-back on mine. I have no worries whatsoever about their behaviour
online.

Unfortunately, the only suggestion at the time was a Netgear DG834GT -
but after downloading the spec. sheet from Netgear, I know that it
doesn't do QoS.

Well I have one and it does have QoS. Mine is the version 3.

I can only point you to the pdf spec sheet available he
http://www.netgear.co.uk/pdfs/dg834gt.pdf

So I'm now hoping that there are some new people reading this and some
new suggestions will come forth 'cos I'm getting desperate now - limping
along on my old BT Voyager 2091 at the mo.

Why change it if it works

The clue is in the phrase "limping along on my old...." The old 2091 works,
but not very well, which is why I ditched it for the Linksys in the first
place. It's OK as a standby until I get something better, but that's about
it.

If you just want one with QoS then I don't think you understand what it
is. It's not the same as packet shaping or preference and it wouldn't
work with two PCs at the same time. It will not split the connection
between you to give equal use or anything. The only way to do that is
have your neighbour hook up to your PC and run cfosspeed. That will ensure
equal use and give priority to web browsing and email before P2P.

I need QoS to allocate dedicated bandwidth to my BT Vision service, and
possibly VoIP, if/when I decide to set them up - nothing whatsoever to do
with sharing my account with my neighbour. And I can assure you, I do know
what QoS is and what it does.

If you can't answer the question sensibly, (come to think of it, you haven't
answered the question *at all* unless I missed your suggestions for a
suitable replacement router) please don't reply at all.

John

John