Sipgate - registering mobile

Old January 10th 08, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Michael Chare

Default Sipgate - registering mobile

Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with Sipgate?

The phone can establish a Wifi connection because the email works.

I have done my best to enter the settings are per the sipgate website
following the Nokia instructions.

I have the sipgate 'light' PC software (on my PC) and that can dial the
10200 number to get a code for adding money to my account.

One odd point I have noticed is that I get an error 916 when I try and add
money to the account.

--
Michael Chare

Old January 10th 08, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:16:52 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with
Sipgate?

What model is it? What software are you using? ISTR hearing grumblings
that the Nokia SIP implementation doesn't work behind NAT.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:46:31 up 5 days, 9:10, 2 users, load average: 1.54, 1.56, 1.54
Old January 10th 08, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Michael Chare

"alexd" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:16:52 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with
Sipgate?

What model is it? What software are you using? ISTR hearing grumblings
that the Nokia SIP implementation doesn't work behind NAT.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:46:31 up 5 days, 9:10, 2 users, load average: 1.54, 1.56, 1.54
2x Broadband/IT/Telecoms support positions in Newcastle city centre.
For more info call 0191 229 8870 and ask for Steve. No agencies.

It is an E65 and it has the latest firmware which I updated today.

--
Michael Chare

Old January 10th 08, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Piers Finlayson

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with
Sipgate?

The phone can establish a Wifi connection because the email works.

I have done my best to enter the settings are per the sipgate website
following the Nokia instructions.

I have the sipgate 'light' PC software (on my PC) and that can dial the
10200 number to get a code for adding money to my account.

One odd point I have noticed is that I get an error 916 when I try and add
money to the account.

What a coincidence. I got the SIP Client in a Nokia E65 working today.
However, I had to replace the Vodafone firmware on the phone with generic
(non-Vodafone) firmware before it would work at all.

I've seen some suggestions that Vodafone cripple the SIP client in the Nokia
firmware so it only works when you connect via a Vodafone wireless access
point.

Old January 10th 08, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mr deo

What a coincidence. I got the SIP Client in a Nokia E65 working today.
However, I had to replace the Vodafone firmware on the phone with generic
(non-Vodafone) firmware before it would work at all.

I've seen some suggestions that Vodafone cripple the SIP client in the

Nokia
firmware so it only works when you connect via a Vodafone wireless access
point.

This may be correct, but they were just having Wifi disabled by default, I
guess we might see why they are now allowing Wifi.

Old January 10th 08, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Michael Chare

"Piers Finlayson" wrote in message

[...]

I bought a SIM free phone which I am using with an old Virgin SIM, so I
guess I am using the standard Nokia software.

Having googled after alexd's reply I see that there have been problems
operating behind NAT routers. I don't know if this is my problem. There
have been promises by Nokia to have this fixed by now.

Are you running behind a NAT router? What VOIP service provider are you
using?

--
Michael Chare

Old January 10th 08, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Higton

In message
"Michael Chare" wrote:

One odd point I have noticed is that I get an error 916 when I try and add
money to the account.

I had this too, and an Internet search shows that others have too.
I contacted Sipgate and they fixed the problem.

Dave
Old January 10th 08, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Piers Finlayson

[...]

Yes I am behind a NAT router, but I'm using a proprietary (private) provider
I'm afraid.

If I get a chance I'll see if I can get it working with Sipgate tomorrow.

Old January 10th 08, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
alexd wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:16:52 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with
Sipgate?

What model is it? What software are you using? ISTR hearing grumblings
that the Nokia SIP implementation doesn't work behind NAT.

The E90 works OK behind NAT, although I don't quite know how as I
never gave it a STUN server, have no ports forwarded, not using uPNP,
etc. ... Not had time to sniff the packets though, to see how it's
doing it.

Gordon
Old January 10th 08, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Michael Chare

"Piers Finlayson" wrote in message

If I get a chance I'll see if I can get it working with Sipgate tomorrow.

Thanks, I shall look forward to hearing the outcome! At the moment even the
preconfigured Sipgate X-Lite PC software won't accept incoming calls (except
once!)

I only discovered the other day that you could get mobiles with VOIP as
well, and I thought it would be useful on holiday as often hotels have WiFi
networks.
It is such a good idea if only it would work!

--
Michael Chare