Dodgy Virgin Media Set-top Box

Old January 11th 08, 12:05 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
judith

Default Dodgy Virgin Media Set-top Box

I understand that you can buy a set-top box with a PVR which will just
plug in to a Virgin Media cable - ie it replaces your existing box.

However, when you come to use it you may observe that it receives (and
can record if you wish) all channels (including the pay to view
channels) and makes them available to you free of charge.

I assume this break the Ts&Cs of your contract with VM and they could
terminate your contract/pull the plug - but could they do more than
this?

Old January 11th 08, 12:08 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Ray

"judith" wrote in message
I understand that you can buy a set-top box with a PVR which will just
plug in to a Virgin Media cable - ie it replaces your existing box.

However, when you come to use it you may observe that it receives (and
can record if you wish) all channels (including the pay to view
channels) and makes them available to you free of charge.

I assume this break the Ts&Cs of your contract with VM and they could
terminate your contract/pull the plug - but could they do more than
this?

It sounds like theft to me.

Old January 11th 08, 12:45 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
steve robinson

judith wrote:

I understand that you can buy a set-top box with a PVR which will just
plug in to a Virgin Media cable - ie it replaces your existing box.

However, when you come to use it you may observe that it receives (and
can record if you wish) all channels (including the pay to view
channels) and makes them available to you free of charge.

I assume this break the Ts&Cs of your contract with VM and they could
terminate your contract/pull the plug - but could they do more than
this?

Yes you could be charged with theft

They are likely to share the infomation with other providers so that
thiers a high probablity that you wont get service off other suppliers

Old January 11th 08, 02:08 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Janitor of Lunacy

"Ray" wrote in message

"judith" wrote in message
I understand that you can buy a set-top box with a PVR which will just
plug in to a Virgin Media cable - ie it replaces your existing box.

However, when you come to use it you may observe that it receives (and
can record if you wish) all channels (including the pay to view
channels) and makes them available to you free of charge.

I assume this break the Ts&Cs of your contract with VM and they could
terminate your contract/pull the plug - but could they do more than
this?

It sounds like theft to me.

What property is being appropriated, bearing in mind Oxford v Moss?

Old January 11th 08, 02:21 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
steve robinson

Janitor of Lunacy wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message

"judith" wrote in message

I understand that you can buy a set-top box with a PVR which will
just plug in to a Virgin Media cable - ie it replaces your
existing box.

However, when you come to use it you may observe that it receives
(and can record if you wish) all channels (including the pay to
view channels) and makes them available to you free of charge.

I assume this break the Ts&Cs of your contract with VM and they
could terminate your contract/pull the plug - but could they do
more than this?

It sounds like theft to me.

What property is being appropriated, bearing in mind Oxford v Moss?

Airtime and bandwidth

They will probably go down the fraud path though

Old January 11th 08, 03:04 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Ray" wrote in message

"judith" wrote in message
I understand that you can buy a set-top box with a PVR which will just
plug in to a Virgin Media cable - ie it replaces your existing box.

However, when you come to use it you may observe that it receives (and
can record if you wish) all channels (including the pay to view
channels) and makes them available to you free of charge.

I assume this break the Ts&Cs of your contract with VM and they could
terminate your contract/pull the plug - but could they do more than
this?

It sounds like theft to me.

What property is being appropriated, bearing in mind Oxford v Moss?

They will think of something won't they?
Phone phreakers used to be charged with "stealing Post Office electricity"

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old January 11th 08, 03:07 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
judith

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:45:03 GMT, "steve robinson"
wrote:

judith wrote:

I understand that you can buy a set-top box with a PVR which will just
plug in to a Virgin Media cable - ie it replaces your existing box.

However, when you come to use it you may observe that it receives (and
can record if you wish) all channels (including the pay to view
channels) and makes them available to you free of charge.

I assume this break the Ts&Cs of your contract with VM and they could
terminate your contract/pull the plug - but could they do more than
this?

Yes you could be charged with theft

They are likely to share the infomation with other providers so that
thiers a high probablity that you wont get service off other suppliers

Do you really believe that - or is it an industry scare story? - do
you work for VM?

Do you have any evidence of this action ever being carried out?

VM's loss is Sky's gain.
Old January 11th 08, 03:09 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
judith

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:21:20 GMT, "steve robinson"
wrote:

Janitor of Lunacy wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message

"judith" wrote in message

I understand that you can buy a set-top box with a PVR which will
just plug in to a Virgin Media cable - ie it replaces your
existing box.

However, when you come to use it you may observe that it receives
(and can record if you wish) all channels (including the pay to
view channels) and makes them available to you free of charge.

I assume this break the Ts&Cs of your contract with VM and they
could terminate your contract/pull the plug - but could they do
more than this?

It sounds like theft to me.

What property is being appropriated, bearing in mind Oxford v Moss?

Airtime and bandwidth

Can't see it - they have not "lost" anything. They do not have to
pump more down the cable as a result of what you have done.

Is it actually fraud?

Old January 11th 08, 03:37 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

wrote:

judith wrote:

[...]

It's just a rumour. VM do not talk to any other provider. They can't under
the DPA.